Will the Hawks let Geno walk after this season?

WarHawks

Reaction score
Just imagine where we would be if we had started him years ago...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It wasn't long ago that a massive portion of the fanbase freaked out because the QB took up a huge percentage of the salary cap etc. Well, 45 a year is a huge percentage for one player.
I get what your saying, but IF that was the cost? Not sure I'd be digging that. And I do want them to give him a couple year extension.

Own The West

Reaction score
I don't see anyone paying Geno $45M/yr, us included.

Would you as a GM give a guy with one good season top dollar after seeing what happened to Denver? Unless Russ turns it around in a big way, you gotta think he was a system QB because Geno is excelling in the exact same system after a decade of not-much. The only way I see Geno getting a big offer from another team is if that team hires Waldron as HC (which I also don't see happening...yet).

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Teams also may think Geno's play is a fluke possibly the situation.. way to early to tell and there's always a chance he goes back to what made him a backup.. I doubt it though.. he seems pretty comfortable here and having comfort in something is something to be said.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
If he does sign with another team in the offseason, then the Seahawks will receive a very nice comp pick. Comp picks are based on contract $ signed vs contract $ lost. If he signs a huge mega deal elsewhere, it would most likely be one of the richest deals in the offseason based on the market value for QBs. I'm just guessing here but probably a 3rd round compensatory pick.

With all that said, I believe he signs with Seattle. He has had a front row seat showing that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I think he will get a fair market value contract somewhere, but most likely Seattle. If the coaching staff believes in Drew Lock, then enjoy this season of Geno for whatever it brings.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I get the logic, but no way he signs for that. Ryan Tannehill, Carson Wentz and Matt Ryan - recently cut Matt Ryan. Make more than that.

Matt Ryan signed with the Colts on a two year deal at around 20M a year, and Wentz signed a three year deal at around the same price, 20M per year.

So not sure what you're talking about.

Rainger

Reaction score
Geno is playing out of his mind right now and better than anyone, including the Hawks thought he’d perform. My thought is if he got a decent sized contract offer from another team this offseason then the Hawks may not be willing to match it. Right now he’s at an all time high in terms of play and I’m not sure he’s going to continue playing near this level next year and beyond and I’d be concerned giving him a big contract.

Lastly, at this moment, he’s the best qb for the Hawks and we’re by far the best team for his skill set as he again IMO would not do nearly as well on another team. If Geno is smart he’ll take a fair deal and not ask for the moon from Seattle this offseason.

Thoughts?
NO!

nwHawk

Reaction score
Matt Ryan signed with the Colts on a two year deal at around 20M a year, and Wentz signed a three year deal at around the same price, 20M per year.

Aren’t the Colts and Commanders still looking for a QB because both of those guys sucked? 20mil is not what it used to be. Heck, ask Denver if they are satisfied with their 45 mil QB.

keasley45

Reaction score

The list I attached might have been old then, because it shows Wentz higher.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The list I attached might have been old then, because it shows Wentz higher.

Those were their old contracts.

I'm not saying we can get Geno for 20M a year. But 45 seems insane, even if he plays well the rest of the year.

I honestly don't know, because there are no comps for what Geno's doing. Add in some unknown factors into the equation like how is the rest of the league viewing him?

Do they view him as "well Pete worked his magic, but that might not work here," and does Geno take a little hometown discount because he's rolling here and wants to continue to succeed.........rather than go to a lesser organization and not play as well again because of the volatility of the staff, etc?

There's a lot to factor into this question, and honestly I have no idea.

keasley45

Reaction score
Those were their old contracts.

I'm not saying we can get Geno for 20M a year. But 45 seems insane, even if he plays well the rest of the year.

I honestly don't know, because there are no comps for what Geno's doing. Add in some unknown factors into the equation like how is the rest of the league viewing him?

Do they view him as "well Pete worked his magic, but that might not work here," and does Geno take a little hometown discount because he's rolling here and wants to continue to succeed.........rather than go to a lesser organization and not play as well again because of the volatility of the staff, etc?

There's a lot to factor into this question, and honestly I have no idea.
Agree, it's a hard one to figure. But I think 40 mil is the new 30. And if Geno gets an MVP vote...??

I'm not even saying I want them to pay him a monster deal. I'm just not sure what they can use to justify NOT looking at him in the same strata as a Kyler M if his play over 17 games and the playoffs is top 4 in the league. 17 games isn't a fluke. One could argue that yes, it's only been a year, but I don't know of another qb in the history of the league who will have finished where Geno looks like he might ( again, my guess assumes his current play and the teams success continues ), recieved MVP consideration... comeback player of the year, etc and signed for a 'middle of the pack' deal.

D Carr's deal was 3 years 121 mil. 65 guaranteed.

Stafford's deal - 4 years, 160, 130 guaranteed.

I think he can look for that and that teams would see him as being no more a risk to drop on performance as either of those two.

AND the market just stuffed 46 mil a year in Kyler Murray's pockets. KYLER MURRAY.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Something like 4 years, 45 mil per, with 120m guaranteed plus incentives to get the whole deal guaranteed by year 3 if he's killing it.
The Office No GIF

toffee

Reaction score
When they sign him, it won't be for chump change. Dude has every right to say he's a better player than Carr and Stafford and as good as Prescott. I mean, Kyler Murray got 46 million - who's the better player?? Allen and Mahomes are playing on 'yesteryear' deals. If they were to sign today, it woukd be for 50 to 55mil a year.

Geno can stand confident at 45mil because somebody will pay him that much if he plays out '22 the way he's started it.

PC will lobby for it because he knows he has maybe another 4 years left to coach. It's in his best interest to roll with the dude with the magic hand that he himself helped to sculpt, rather than bring in a kid who might take that long to approach what #7 is doing now.

They'll sign him. 45 a year feels right.
Words of wisdom right here, couple things to consider however, will Geno remain hungry and coachable after the BIG money? Can he play at current level or above for the next 8-11 games?

Ozzy

Reaction score
It's too early to tell. What if he cools way down? This past week he almost got picked 4 times. He also came up clutch when they needed him to. Point is I'm still not sure what we have. He's been fantastic and if he plays the whole year at this level he will get what he deserves. I'm skeptical he does but that may be the pessimist in me.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
i'm gonna piss some of you off. idc. :ROFLMAO:

geno's gonna want big $ if he finishes strong. and that's understandable. but what should pc/js do? if he doesn't give a discount over his perceived value they should franchise tag him. then:

a) use the franchise tag to gain leverage and hammer out a better deal before the draft, more in the seahawks favor.

or

b) draft a qb and let the rookie qb develop behind him, keep geno that 1 year. re-evaluate geno and qb situation after next season.

or

c) after franchising him, trade him to a desperate team that's willing to pay him whatever and take their capital (probably worth 2 1sts at this point).

but no way do i just go ahead and sign him for 45m/ year over 4+ years, with most of that guaranteed. hard pass. but that's me.

...but who am i kidding, pete's gonna cave and pay that man his money. pete's always loyal to his subjects.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Hawks can't afford $45 mil. Not even close. But if he can get that somewhere else, he should do it.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Geno is playing out of his mind right now and better than anyone, including the Hawks thought he’d perform. My thought is if he got a decent sized contract offer from another team this offseason then the Hawks may not be willing to match it. Right now he’s at an all time high in terms of play and I’m not sure he’s going to continue playing near this level next year and beyond and I’d be concerned giving him a big contract.

Lastly, at this moment, he’s the best qb for the Hawks and we’re by far the best team for his skill set as he again IMO would not do nearly as well on another team. If Geno is smart he’ll take a fair deal and not ask for the moon from Seattle this offseason.

Thoughts?

I would have to agree with you about Geno being smart to take a fair deal from the Seahawks. If the Seahawks truely want him here they will offer him a fair deal. I could see the hawks letting him sniff the market to see what he could get but in the end, Geno is in the perfect system for his style and the most important factor is that i think he wants to be in Seattle.

Bottom line is money talks and BS walks thats the way it is in the NFL. The worst thing Geno could do is get greedy IMO.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I honestly don't know, because there are no comps for what Geno's doing.
Here's one comparison that might be valid. Jimmy Garoppolo.
Sits on the bench behind the starter for many years. Then gets his chance and has an impressive W-L in his first year.

His (JG) contract averaged $27.5M /yr in 2018 dollars.
Add 10-15% for inflation and Geno will surely be looking north of $30M.

If he(and Tyler and DK) stays injury free, higher.

Last edited:

evergreen

Reaction score
It’s a conundrum since he’s been so unexpectedly awesome. You want that guy. But having the guy at top dollar isn’t the same deal. Now if we could do it and keep everyone that’s different. If we could somehow do it with next year’s rookies to save $$. We might have a couple year window that we could make it work. We do have the young cheap team right now. If we lose all the players that $$ pays for with key players then it’s not as good of a team.
But the future is a crap shoot. We got gold now. Got to make a shot. Our window is open.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Sign him for what he deserves (JS' job) for as long as this years and next years draftees are on their rookie contracts. When they all need to resign Geno will be off the books and you would hope they find a nice cheap option (journeyman or drafted rookie).

Ideally this is how I would play this out, but I'm just a dude with a phone.