Will Wilson Copy Kaep's Contract Model?

pocketprotector

Reaction score
I'd love to see something on the opposite end of the spectrum from what Kaep got, high guarantees and a lower per year number. Really the dream scenario would be a 10 year contract with 100 million fully guaranteed.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1a49lxh1 said:
Missing_Clink":1a49lxh1 said:
No. Coming off his second straight super bowl win and an MVP caliber season after just 3 years in the league, Wilson will be in a position to get the biggest contract ever for a QB. The Seahawks won't have the same opt-out ability that the 49ers have with Kaep either.

But if it plays out this way...I won't even care.

You're probably right, but the Pollyanna fan in me hopes that Russell continues to change the league norms by doing something more innovative with his contract that doesn't cripple us for remaining as competitive as we are now.

You're not the "Pollyanna", the Pollyannas are those that think we can expend 15%+ on one player and it will have absolutely no detrimental effect on our chances to win Super Bowls. Due to the "Cutler market", we'll have to be like other teams and spend 24mil per year on RW. But we should also admit that it is going to make it harder to win Super Bowls. Last year we had an advantage over other good teams, in that our stars had lower salaries, so we could expend money to round out our team. We'll no longer have that advantage after 2014, and it's going to hurt. It's Pollyannish to pretend otherwise.

IMO, 2014 is our best opportunity to win another Super Bowl. After that, we'll be in salary cap purgatory like many other teams, with the resulting paper-thin depth, and huge holes in certain positions. Like the other teams with huge salaried "franchise QBs", both our depth and breadth will take a huge hit, and we'll have to hope that our franchise QB plays well enough to make up for the deficiencies. SF will be the exception, because they got a huge bargain in Kaep's deal, so they'll have both good depth and breadth of talent. I think RW > Kaep, and he'll have to be in order for us to overcome SF's advantage in talent due to signing Kaep for peanuts, relatively speaking.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Escamillo":1dnv307c said:
Sgt. Largent":1dnv307c said:
Missing_Clink":1dnv307c said:
No. Coming off his second straight super bowl win and an MVP caliber season after just 3 years in the league, Wilson will be in a position to get the biggest contract ever for a QB. The Seahawks won't have the same opt-out ability that the 49ers have with Kaep either.

You're probably right, but the Pollyanna fan in me hopes that Russell continues to change the league norms by doing something more innovative with his contract that doesn't cripple us for remaining as competitive as we are now.

You're not the "Pollyanna", the Pollyannas are those that think we can expend 15%+ on one player and it will have absolutely no detrimental effect on our chances to win Super Bowls. Due to the "Cutler market", we'll have to be like other teams and spend 24mil per year on RW. But we should also admit that it is going to make it harder to win Super Bowls. Last year we had an advantage over other good teams, in that our stars had lower salaries, so we could expend money to round out our team. We'll no longer have that advantage after 2014, and it's going to hurt. It's Pollyannish to pretend otherwise.

IMO, 2014 is our best opportunity to win another Super Bowl. After that, we'll be in salary cap purgatory like many other teams, with the resulting paper-thin depth, and huge holes in certain positions. Like the other teams with huge salaried "franchise QBs", both our depth and breadth will take a huge hit, and we'll have to hope that our franchise QB plays well enough to make up for the deficiencies. SF will be the exception, because they got a huge bargain in Kaep's deal, so they'll have both good depth and breadth of talent. I think RW > Kaep, and he'll have to be in order for us to overcome SF's advantage in talent due to signing Kaep for peanuts, relatively speaking.

dude you are wrong on so many levels it is pathetic. First off the cap will go up about 15 mil next year, we are already under the cap by 8. Right there is more than enough to pay Rw and leave us fine, especially with other contract coming off the books. Not to mention if they structure it right it will not even hit us that hard, For example lets say they get him to agree to a 6 year ext at say 20 mil a year. Well that really means 7 years at 121 mil which is 17 mil a year and very very friendly for us. Why the extra year and 1 mil because it is an ext and he still will have 1 year left, and that can be used to prorate his contract out. IF they back load it they can make it even more friendly and then redo it when it comes due.

Now as to Sf advantage they have is at best a fraud, because they still need to keep the money available should Kap meet his goals, there for it is not available to pay others, and I guarantee you at least of those goals are no brainers, he will get. Also since so many of the goals are based on his performance he is going to push and that will cause even more mistakes. I mean paying Manning, Brady, Brees, and other QBs sure has not stopped them form making the playoffs year after year.

Not to mention you put all this on Rw, what about Sherman he could have taken a better deal to help not a top 5 CB deal, same for ET and Kam they all took what was at the time top 5 money for their position, so will they get blamed for this supposed run into the basement? No of course not, why because they got what they deserved and it was structured in a way that is good for them and us.

So before you go saying we are in trouble lets wait till we see the deal and how it is structured. Teams have been making the playoffs with QBs making a lot for years and will continue to, and we will be one of them, and remember the alternative is not making the playoffs as no team consistently makes the playoffs with out a franchise QB, and franchise QBs do not gro2w on trees and they get paid, and our franchise QB will too, and I am betting it will not hurt us at all.

brettb3

Reaction score
Escamillo":3sarcju2 said:
Sgt. Largent":3sarcju2 said:
Missing_Clink":3sarcju2 said:

Disagree. Whatever RW's APY will be is irrelevant. It's all about the cap number. I'll bet whatever it is, it won't be more than $1-2 million higher than Kaep's for the first three years.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Escamillo":3jj0oveo said:
Sgt. Largent":3jj0oveo said:
Missing_Clink":3jj0oveo said:

WTF? Do you think RW is going to be make 40M a year or something??? I don't get how "Kaep's deal is peanuts, so they'll be able to afford more depth". Did he sign a very team friendly deal? Yes! but that doesn't change the fact that he will still count for an average of 21M per year against the cap if he's there. RW will get similar money (although I don't expect him to sign such a crazy un-guaranteed deal). So overall we'll be in similar situations just we'll have the better QB...

It would almost be funny if it wasn't so frustrating how our team can suffer for YEARS without an elite QB with everyone knowing we need one and begging for us to find one, but then when we FINALLY get one people say he's not worth keeping because of the money and how he's going to hamper the team...

JKent82

Reaction score
Wait so did Kaep take more potential money for less guarenteed? Or just less money+less guarenteed?

Because if you expect him to do well it's "worse" for the team's payroll. (Not really worse, I mean playing well is way more important)

In the case of Russell, I'd much rather have high guarantees in exchange for a lower cap number. I'm not particularly worried about him not taking the game seriously, and think he's gonna be great for a lot of years, so you'd rather give security over upside you think he can hit anyways.

Course he's gonna get paid a ton regardless and it probably won't be a friendly amount, and that's deservedly so.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Escamillo":laxqkoxa said:
Sgt. Largent":laxqkoxa said:
Missing_Clink":laxqkoxa said:

The deal isn't a huge bargain for SF. It's beneficial to them in that it allows them to get out of it cheaply if he underperforms but as long as he is their QB they will be paying a significant portion of their cap to him. I doubt Wilson's cap hit will be substantially higher.

It's understandable why the Niners wanted some flexibility in getting out of Kaep's contract because he still has a relatively limited number of starts to base their projections of his future value on. By the time Wilson's contract is extended he will have three full seasons under his belt and the Seahawks will have a very good idea what his future value will be, so its more likely to be in a more traditional format which provides the team less flexibility in getting out of "guaranteed" money.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Anthony!":9wb1zwpc said:
Escamillo":9wb1zwpc said:
Sgt. Largent":9wb1zwpc said:
Missing_Clink":9wb1zwpc said:

dude you are wrong on so many levels it is pathetic. First off the cap will go up about 15 mil next year, we are already under the cap by 8. Right there is more than enough to pay Rw and leave us fine, especially with other contract coming off the books. Not to mention if they structure it right it will not even hit us that hard, For example lets say they get him to agree to a 6 year ext at say 20 mil a year. Well that really means 7 years at 121 mil which is 17 mil a year and very very friendly for us. Why the extra year and 1 mil because it is an ext and he still will have 1 year left, and that can be used to prorate his contract out. IF they back load it they can make it even more friendly and then redo it when it comes due.

Now as to Sf advantage they have is at best a fraud, because they still need to keep the money available should Kap meet his goals, there for it is not available to pay others, and I guarantee you at least of those goals are no brainers, he will get. Also since so many of the goals are based on his performance he is going to push and that will cause even more mistakes. I mean paying Manning, Brady, Brees, and other QBs sure has not stopped them form making the playoffs year after year.

Not to mention you put all this on Rw, what about Sherman he could have taken a better deal to help not a top 5 CB deal, same for ET and Kam they all took what was at the time top 5 money for their position, so will they get blamed for this supposed run into the basement? No of course not, why because they got what they deserved and it was structured in a way that is good for them and us.

So before you go saying we are in trouble lets wait till we see the deal and how it is structured. Teams have been making the playoffs with QBs making a lot for years and will continue to, and we will be one of them, and remember the alternative is not making the playoffs as no team consistently makes the playoffs with out a franchise QB, and franchise QBs do not gro2w on trees and they get paid, and our franchise QB will too, and I am betting it will not hurt us at all.

I think SF is going to go ahead and assume Kaep won't make some of his goals, like "make All Pro", and will spend that money, and if he happens to make the goal and they go over the cap, they'll just pay the fine or forfeit draft picks or whatever the penalty is. Denver went over the cap in both their SB winning years. Nobody cares, nobody puts asterisks next to those SBs, so it was worth going over the cap. (At least this is what I read at a KC Chiefs message board! lol)

Secondly, Sherm and Earl aren't each making 25mil per year like I expect RW to. And I consider Earl and Sherm the best at their positions. I don't consider RW to be the best QB in the league (yet). So I don't think your example carries much weight.

Third, you say that RW's making 25mil per year (my expectations for his salary) "will not hurt us at all".
Well, that makes no sense simply from a math standpoint. We already lost players this off season and failed to sign players we pursued, because we needed save cap space to prepare to pay RW 25mil per year. So how can people say that RW's huge salary will have no impact? It already has!

Fourth, yes teams have been making the playoffs after paying their franchise QBs "elite-QB" money. But they haven't been winning Super Bowls (e.g. New England makes the playoffs every year, but lacks the supporting cast to win SBs anymore). I don't care about playoffs, I care about Lombardis. :)

I'm not opposing paying RW 25mil per year. We have no choice. We'll have to suck it up and slog through it But it'll be harder to win Super Bowls.

Shannon Sharpe said this after Super Bowl XLVIII:
I feel so bad for Peyton. Because not at any given point in time can he ever have an off-game. Russell Wilson won against New Orleans, throwing for (just) 103 yards. Payton Manning (on the other hand) has to be 'MVP Peyton Manning' every single game, or his team loses.
Such is the burden teams put on their QBs when they devote such a huge percentage of their salary to him, at the expense of the rest of the team. That will be us starting 2015.

Well, at least we got one SB with RW before paying him 25mil per year, and maybe we'll get another this upcoming year before extending his current contract. Other teams like Indy, Carolina, and Wash, have just one or two years left in their window to win a SB while their franchise QBs aren't making 20mil per year. They'd better take advantage of that window, because after their QBs get new contracts, they'll be in the same boat as the rest of the teams with "franchise QBs", teams with paper-thin depth and limited breadth that must rely on their QBs to carry the load every single game.

One last thing: You say "franchise QBs" don't grow on trees. Do you mean "elite QBs"? Because "franchise QBs" (QBs whose teams have appointed them as "the guy" for the foreseeable future) do seem to grow on trees. Lots of teams have them. And it only took Seattle a couple years to find RW to replace their previous franchise QB Hasselbeck. But too many teams are paying franchise QBs not just "franchise QB" money, but "elite QB" money, which is devastating to the team. Quickest way to wreck a team's salary structure is to pay non-elite players elite money. And that's my pet-peeve, the insistence to equate "franchise QB" with "elite QB". The two terms are not interchangeable, but people seem to think that they are, which leads to teams paying "franchise QBs" like Cutler, Romo, Flacco, et al, the same as (or more than) truly elite QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Manning.

Uffda

Reaction score
Whatever is the right thing, I believe Wilson will make that happen, I trust in Wilson =)

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Kaep signed a 'big' contract that will pay if he does what he thinks he'll be able to do... play every year at a high level.

I'm not surprised by this deal at all, it's the best for both sides. It's an enormous and reachable number for Kaep, and low risk (surprisingly) for the 9ers.

The Seahawks won't get that luxury, assuming Wilson continues to perform well this year. He's already won you a SB. His deal will probably actually have $60M fully guaranteed with player only options.

Either way I imagine Kaep and Wilson to have similar deals, but with Wilson getting more of it fully guaranteed.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
And Escamillio, you're just missing the entire point. Not only is RW the franchise QB, but he is an 'elite' QB. Also, the Culter and Romo deals did not 'cripple' their respective teams.

RW will be making on average probably ~20M a year and our team will be just fine. Sure it won't be the glory days where we have guys on a bunch of rookie contracts so we'll have to be a bit more selective but it's not this doom and gloom scenario you're talking about.

BTW, if you don't pay RW $20M a year... who are you going to pay less to throw INTs and suck?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Kaepernick's deal is dependent on Harbaugh being resigned. That's not necessarily going to happen.

However, you can pretty much bank on Wilson being around for as long as Schneider is here. Hence he'll get more real guaranteed money, IMO.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
There are reasons Kaepernick chose to take a deal like this, and they don't apply to Wilson. Wilson's more established, a better QB, (Niners fans, just go look at the number of different players Kaepernick completed passes to in each game last season compared to Wilson and that's all the proof you need) doesn't screw up in the moment, and the team doesn't have the leverage of a 5th-year option to hold over his head like the 49ers had over Kaepernick.

No reason he should accept a deal similar to this at all.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3nyz2oqs said:
Kaepernick's deal is dependent on Harbaugh being resigned.

How awesome is it hearing about the Harbaugh drama going on in SF?

I'd love to see this whole thing just implode like a bad abusive marriage.

Escamillo

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1ythyjy2 said:
And Escamillio, you're just missing the entire point. Not only is RW the franchise QB, but he is an 'elite' QB. Also, the Culter and Romo deals did not 'cripple' their respective teams.

RW will be making on average probably ~20M a year and our team will be just fine. Sure it won't be the glory days where we have guys on a bunch of rookie contracts so we'll have to be a bit more selective but it's not this doom and gloom scenario you're talking about.

BTW, if you don't pay RW $20M a year... who are you going to pay less to throw INTs and suck?

What are you arguing about? I already said that we're going to pay RW 25mil+ per year, and said we have no choice. I just question the Pollyanna "it won't hurt us at all; we'll be fine" comments.
Maybe by such comments you mean we'll be like New England, New Orleans, Green Bay, and Denver, teams that make the playoffs every year but no longer win Super Bowls because they expended so much on one position. I guarantee you that when Brees, Rodgers, and Brady signed their huge contracts, their teams' message boards had fans saying, "We'll be fine.".

Why is it going to turn out different for us?
After all, we're going to do the exact same thing those teams did, but we expect better results?

And actually, we're going to go even beyond what those teams did, since we're going to pay RW significantly more than those teams paid Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Manning. "Oh, but the salary cap is going up!", you say. Well, it's going up for everybody, not just us, and we'll be helped the least by it, except for the Colts. Green Bay and New Orleans, for example, have elite QBs, generally regarded better than RW, and when the salary cap goes up, they'll be helped far more than we will since our QB will take up more of the cap than theirs do. We'll be at an inherent disadvantage, and have to hope that RW plays well enough to make up for it.

He's going to have to play well enough to justify devoting so much cap space to him. And that's something that even Brees, Brady, and Rodgers, all considered better than RW, have yet to justify regarding their huge contracts. We're putting the burden on RW to do something never done before: win Super Bowls while taking 15+% of your team's salary.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":23obxquv said:
...Say if we get him at 6y/22M I would expect around 66M grtd. I can only hope he goes Kap's way because of that contract San Francisco has and will close the gap on us quickly if Wilson goes for max value. I hate that contract.

The way I see it Kaep's contract can go one of two ways. One, he satifies the conditions necessary to obtain the guarantees resulting in SF paying him $21mil AAV for 6 years and the commensurate cap ramifications. This means they will not be getting cheap production out of him which is not something we should hate.

Two, he does not satisfy the conditions necessary to obtain the guarantees resuling in SF either starting a QB that is not a first team All Pro and is not reaching SB's or is cut. Neither result in the second outcome should we hate as Seahawk's fans.

So long story short I don't hate Kaep's contract. If he lives up to it, SF will pay the cap price. If he doesn't live up to it, we have nothing more to fear from him or the Niners until they find their Russell Wilson. Under no scenario will SF be getting cheap, cap friendly, championship production out of Kaep with this deal.

SonicHawk":23obxquv said:
...BTW, if you don't pay RW $20M a year... who are you going to pay less to throw INTs and suck?

Terrelle Pryor (?)

Anthony!

Reaction score
bigDhawk":2qz4n0ip said:
MizzouHawkGal":2qz4n0ip said:
...Say if we get him at 6y/22M I would expect around 66M grtd. I can only hope he goes Kap's way because of that contract San Francisco has and will close the gap on us quickly if Wilson goes for max value. I hate that contract.

The way I see it Kaep's contract can go one of two ways. One, he satifies the conditions necessary to obtain the guarantees resulting in SF paying him $21mil AAV for 6 years and the commensurate cap ramifications. This means they will not be getting cheap production out of him which is not something we should hate.

Two, he does not satisfy the conditions necessary to obtain the guarantees resuling in SF either starting a QB that is not a first team All Pro and is not reaching SB's or is cut. Neither result in the second outcome should we hate as Seahawk's fans.

So long story short I don't hate Kaep's contract. If he lives up to it, SF will pay the cap price. If he doesn't live up to it, we have nothing more to fear from him or the Niners until they find their Russell Wilson. Under no scenario will SF be getting cheap, cap friendly, championship production out of Kaep with this deal.

SonicHawk":2qz4n0ip said:
...BTW, if you don't pay RW $20M a year... who are you going to pay less to throw INTs and suck?

Terrelle Pryor (?)

Yeah Terrell Pryor really, I mean he is with us for 1 year, will not get to play, and from what everyone has been saying may not make the team, and he has a career complt % of 55%, so NO

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":v9w05mv4 said:
There are reasons Kaepernick chose to take a deal like this, and they don't apply to Wilson. Wilson's more established, a better QB, (Niners fans, just go look at the number of different players Kaepernick completed passes to in each game last season compared to Wilson and that's all the proof you need) doesn't screw up in the moment, and the team doesn't have the leverage of a 5th-year option to hold over his head like the 49ers had over Kaepernick.

No reason he should accept a deal similar to this at all.

Not getting into the debate as I think you are correct that Wilson will sign a different deal...

...but there was no 5th year option for Kap. He was a second round pick. Those options are only for 1st round picks.