Wilson a steal now !! Mahomes huge deal

xray

Reaction score
These big QB contracts always seem to hamstring the team's ability to maintain or develop SB contenders for a few years after . The Hawks for example didn't get better with Wilson's record contract . Mahomes has a good shot at bringing another SB to KC , but it better happen soon before the team loses key players .

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Daks should ask for a cool billion. He’s worth it,! /endsarcasm

kf3339

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but they need a position cap number for this league. Otherwise the game will be about one or two high paid players and the rest of the team grabbed off the street. That is why I stopped watching the NBA many years ago. Hope the same thing doesn't happen with the NFL.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Most high end QBs are a bargain when you consider their value to the franchise and the value of the franchise and revenue generated.

Mahomes and Wilson would get considerably more in a true free market.

I'll never agree with putting a cap on wages, but I do think that there maybe needs to be some sort of cap relief allowances when re-signing guys that you drafted. Allows guys to get paid what they deserve while keeping teams together and less incentive to try to buy a better team in free agency.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'd rather have Mahomes at his age, even at that figure. Seahawks haven't done anything with their extra cap space anyways except waste it on fringe starters.. (yeah this offseason has made me extremely salty).

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
poly1274":33j149oh said:
Ad Hawk":33j149oh said:
It'll be interesting to see what happens to salaries with Covid affecting games, and the increasingly political role of players and broadcasts which may decrease revenue even more in the future.

In other words, Wilson's salary may actually take a hit, as many Americans' have already. At least it should...

How will Wilson's salary take a hit?

Revenue drying up could make his next contract worth less than it is currently. Player salaries cannot continue to climb if there isn't enough income to pay them.

I have my doubts that football will continue to rake in the dough as it becomes increasingly politically activist in nature. I'd guess that most fans want to watch football as an escape from the divisions all around us; we get to unify around our appreciation for athletic ability, strategy, rules-of-engagement, etc., and then around our local logo/team identity/players/coaches.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Why is NFL pay vastly outpacing the rest of the workforce?

Where do they keep getting all the extra money?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Maybe a good NFL salary vs. cap compromise is that the team can pay a QB anything they want but the position of QB1 will only count towards a set amount of the salary cap. Or, you can have every team select a position each year as "salary cap exempt"which of course will be the highest paid position.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1kskroiw said:
John63":1kskroiw said:
We will not find out if he is worth it for about 5 years. .Given he has top 5 skill talent around him and an offensive coach we dont know how much is him and how much is the others and the system. Not saying he is not talented, but where would he be if he had say Detroit talent? Or even ours with our system. I am guessing no were near where he is.

That said he got his pay day. Give it a few years and we will know.
I don't think the guy is the best QB.
KC was stupid to hand out that contract.
He can kiss his all over top 5 talent bye bye.
Yes John the coach and system have a lot to do with it.

I Agree both bad and good.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
xray":1c1uijr6 said:
These big QB contracts always seem to hamstring the team's ability to maintain or develop SB contenders for a few years after . The Hawks for example didn't get better with Wilson's record contract . Mahomes has a good shot at bringing another SB to KC , but it better happen soon before the team loses key players .

Us not getting better has more to do with bad Fa signings, trades and drafting as much as his contract. And a HC who refused to build a system around that QB. Something Mahomess will not have to worry about.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
lukerguy":36xqj5lh said:
I'd rather have Mahomes at his age, even at that figure. Seahawks haven't done anything with their extra cap space anyways except waste it on fringe starters.. (yeah this offseason has made me extremely salty).

well I would not want Mahomes but I agree with the sentiment. Our in ability to go beyond 2nd round is on bad draft, bad FAs, and bad system for what we have.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
KinesProf":2pedxqwx said:
I'll never agree with putting a cap on wages,
Then you support the philosophy of rich teams buying championships. In your version, the Patriots would have won about 16 of the last 18 Super Bowls. To hell with that.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sooner or later there will just be one player on O or D. The QB.

"We can't afford to pay any other players because the QB is the team.".

Rat

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the team doesn’t revoke your Russ Fan Boy Card if you admit that another QB is good.

jmahon316

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2aspgnn9 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1280909615417430022[/tweet]

Let them squander about their cap when paying their star QB, and blame the other teams because of their unintelligent ways when they don't have the same type of QB. I believe this personally equates to "MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR"

Largent80

Reaction score
After 2022, I fear the Hawks will be back to SOS. Wilsons contract will be up. Maybe by then they just offer 51% of franchise ownership instead of money, then Covid kills everyone, or we get "that" asteroid.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
I think Russ pulls a Brady on his next contract. Realizes he needs to give up his greed and he's earned a crap ton. His royalties and endorsements will make up plenty for any lost earnings and maybe some sponsors will kick in extra ;) to make up for the Russ's wage losses.

What a haul for Mahomes though. Good for him.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
xray":231198df said:

Seems to be the trend.

I don't think there's a QB in the league who won a SB AFTER he got his top of the league contract. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't that why Brady has taken middle of the road money? To keep talent around him and keep winning?