Wilson and Seahawks haven’t talked contract

chris98251

Reaction score
Sweezy's issue was not his back once he started playing, Fluker had a couple issues but I think is young enough to get through them. He also wants to play so the drive is there. You know as well as I do it sometimes takes two seasons to come back from things. The fact the front office says they want both back and they did it right away says something about the injury concerns with both.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2x07qw2l said:
chris98251":2x07qw2l said:
Spin Doctor":2x07qw2l said:
chris98251":2x07qw2l said:
Hypothetical, Wilson and the Front office have talked non officially, let him know he is in the plans but they need to build the rest of the team around him first, Clark and other pieces, he has the offense almost where we need it to protect him and make them successful, but we need the defense finished to really make a run for a few years as well as a GO to guy at WR going forward for him.

Wilson knows this also, Front office says he will get his payday and it's about how we fit the structure year to year in conjunction with the rest of the contracts. Wilson is fine with that as well so there is no push or reason to rush things as well as nothing to really say to the media.
I don't think we have this offense anywhere near where we need it. Sweezy, and Fluker are free agents, and they have been plagued by injury, and consistency issues the last few years. They had a good run, but near the end of the season their past issues reared their ugly heads. Fluker was injured twice, and Sweezy has a degenerative condition as well as an extensive injury history in the last few years. Great stop-gaps but how much longer can we rely on them? The answer is probably not very long, if at all. Brown is a great left tackle, and the anchor of our line, but he is getting long in the tooth. He is nearing the age that Walter Jones started declining and was eventually forced to retire due to injury. How much longer can we rely on him? History says 1 - 2 more years, but who knows, sometimes players are able to play for much longer than their expiration date at a high level.

We have no long term solutions on the line other than Britt. Ifedi was passable this season, but still a liability at times. He got his run blocking down, and he still may surprise us yet, but he still has some proving to do. Our other three starters are question marks for the long haul. This is one of the reasons I despised the Penny pick. There were several really good guard choices, including one (Hernandez) that came out of the gate being one of the better guards in the NFL. He would have solidified an area that has been in flux ever since Carroll got here. What does this mean? Better running game, and more stable passing game. We have got to lock those line positions down or it will be more of the same, and we already saw a glimpse of that in the Cowboys game.

Our receivers are, eh... Baldwin and Lockett are good receivers, but they both kind of cover a similar niche. I think Baldwin is the more diverse of the two as far as positions he can play. He can play every WR position effectively. Lockett is good, but he seems best suited to be an Edelman figure. He would kill it in that role, and I think that is where he needs to be. There really is no diversity in our wide receivers corps though. Brown, and Moore have some downsides, though if we're lucky maybe Moore can be a better rounded WR next year.

If I were Wilson I'd try to get out of the Seahawks. Not very good for his legacy. He's restricted more than virtually every QB, and he's forced to play under circumstances that aren't conducive to QB success. He's already won a bowl here, and is underneath a coach that seems to view the Seahawks offense more like an accessory than anything. His one job is to not screw up. If I were in his position I'd be upset given what he has accomplished even in highly restrictive circumstances.

Another positive post from Spindoctor on how the Seahawks will fail miserably in some way.

They will resign Sweezy and Fluker, both were coming into the Seahawks injured last year, I don't think either was 100 percent all year. We have depth on the IR and P.S there so I am not as concerned as I was last year. I did say bring in another GO to WR as well.
That is EXACTLY THE PROBLEM. Sweezy and Fluker cannot be counted on to stay healthy. They have a history of being injured, and in Sweezy's case he has a degenerative back issue. When they got injured we couldn't move the ball, or run the ball. Our line regressed to 2017 levels when they were gone. We have GOT to find a long term solution here, we don't have one right now. Our offense at the moment is held together with duct tape, bubble gum, and a prayer. We have GOT to find some depth here as well or we'll regress. Thus far we have not done a good job doing that. This off-season will be crucial in this area, and I only hope that Carroll addresses it.

We need a wide receiver as you and I agree that can draw coverage, preferably a more physical one than the receivers we have. Lockett was good this season, but at times he seemed like he was out of his element. As a flex receiver that moves around everywhere he would be killer. Doesn't even have to be a number one, just a receiver that gives us more options, and a different skill-set. I really think that Lockett could be a Wes Welker, or Edelman character. That style of receiver is disruptive, sometimes even more so than the main target.

Not exactly true that they couldn’t move the ball when Fluker or Sweezy were injured. Jordan Simmons filled in well and the running game didn’t miss a beat with him in there. Plus they have high hopes forJamarco Jones. JoeyHunt actually looked serviceable in his opportunities. The bottom line is that the o line was no where near 2017 levels in 2018. I fully expect them to take the next step up in 2019 with both Fluker and Sweezy or one of them or neither.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2yiviudk said:
Spin Doctor":2yiviudk said:
chris98251":2yiviudk said:
Spin Doctor":2yiviudk said:
I don't think we have this offense anywhere near where we need it. Sweezy, and Fluker are free agents, and they have been plagued by injury, and consistency issues the last few years. They had a good run, but near the end of the season their past issues reared their ugly heads. Fluker was injured twice, and Sweezy has a degenerative condition as well as an extensive injury history in the last few years. Great stop-gaps but how much longer can we rely on them? The answer is probably not very long, if at all. Brown is a great left tackle, and the anchor of our line, but he is getting long in the tooth. He is nearing the age that Walter Jones started declining and was eventually forced to retire due to injury. How much longer can we rely on him? History says 1 - 2 more years, but who knows, sometimes players are able to play for much longer than their expiration date at a high level.

We have no long term solutions on the line other than Britt. Ifedi was passable this season, but still a liability at times. He got his run blocking down, and he still may surprise us yet, but he still has some proving to do. Our other three starters are question marks for the long haul. This is one of the reasons I despised the Penny pick. There were several really good guard choices, including one (Hernandez) that came out of the gate being one of the better guards in the NFL. He would have solidified an area that has been in flux ever since Carroll got here. What does this mean? Better running game, and more stable passing game. We have got to lock those line positions down or it will be more of the same, and we already saw a glimpse of that in the Cowboys game.

Our receivers are, eh... Baldwin and Lockett are good receivers, but they both kind of cover a similar niche. I think Baldwin is the more diverse of the two as far as positions he can play. He can play every WR position effectively. Lockett is good, but he seems best suited to be an Edelman figure. He would kill it in that role, and I think that is where he needs to be. There really is no diversity in our wide receivers corps though. Brown, and Moore have some downsides, though if we're lucky maybe Moore can be a better rounded WR next year.

If I were Wilson I'd try to get out of the Seahawks. Not very good for his legacy. He's restricted more than virtually every QB, and he's forced to play under circumstances that aren't conducive to QB success. He's already won a bowl here, and is underneath a coach that seems to view the Seahawks offense more like an accessory than anything. His one job is to not screw up. If I were in his position I'd be upset given what he has accomplished even in highly restrictive circumstances.

Another positive post from Spindoctor on how the Seahawks will fail miserably in some way.

They will resign Sweezy and Fluker, both were coming into the Seahawks injured last year, I don't think either was 100 percent all year. We have depth on the IR and P.S there so I am not as concerned as I was last year. I did say bring in another GO to WR as well.
That is EXACTLY THE PROBLEM. Sweezy and Fluker cannot be counted on to stay healthy. They have a history of being injured, and in Sweezy's case he has a degenerative back issue. When they got injured we couldn't move the ball, or run the ball. Our line regressed to 2017 levels when they were gone. We have GOT to find a long term solution here, we don't have one right now. Our offense at the moment is held together with duct tape, bubble gum, and a prayer. We have GOT to find some depth here as well or we'll regress. Thus far we have not done a good job doing that. This off-season will be crucial in this area, and I only hope that Carroll addresses it.

We need a wide receiver as you and I agree that can draw coverage, preferably a more physical one than the receivers we have. Lockett was good this season, but at times he seemed like he was out of his element. As a flex receiver that moves around everywhere he would be killer. Doesn't even have to be a number one, just a receiver that gives us more options, and a different skill-set. I really think that Lockett could be a Wes Welker, or Edelman character. That style of receiver is disruptive, sometimes even more so than the main target.

Not exactly true that they couldn’t move the ball when Fluker or Sweezy were injured. Jordan Simmons filled in well and the running game didn’t miss a beat with him in there. Plus they have high hopes forJamarco Jones. JoeyHunt actually looked serviceable in his opportunities. The bottom line is that the o line was no where near 2017 levels in 2018. I fully expect them to take the next step up in 2019 with both Fluker and Sweezy or one of them or neither.
We did miss a beat. This is the same exact mentality that we had with Cable here. I really hope that Simmons and Hunt are not our contingency plans. This is a real issue. Don’t worry it’ll be fine is exactly how we got a dumpster fire up front in the first place.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Until Jordan Simmons got hurt he was playing great. I'm not sure why anyone would say he didn't. I don't want Hunt either, but what we saw from Hunt this year was better than anything Hunt did under Cable. I have faith that Solari can mold a mauler into a functional offensive lineman. I completely lost faith in Cable. That tells me we are better off in the future.

I prefer that Russ and the Hawks BOTH want to make the team more complete, otherwise if it's only about money (for Wilson) you can kiss the sooper bowl goodbye for 10 years! They'll dance when it's time.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Hawks are doing nothing different than most teams with their QB. So what? They can still Franchise him if they don't come to an agreement on a new deal. It's years away from worrying about this stuff.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3m87a4ib said:
We have GOT to find a long term solution here, we don't have one right now. Our offense at the moment is held together with duct tape, bubble gum, and a prayer. We have GOT to find some depth here as well or we'll regress. Thus far we have not done a good job doing that. This off-season will be crucial in this area, and I only hope that Carroll addresses it.

I would emphatically disagree about our cabinets being THAT bare. We had the #1 rushing offense and Wilson one of his top years statistically. We beat the Chiefs and hung with the league's top offenses (the Rams twice). The most recent game strongest on our memory (the Cowboys) was an ill-timed outlier, but an outlier nonetheless, so I'd say you're overstating the case.

We had quite a bit of OL depth. Jordan Simmons stepped in and immediately made an impact as a spot replacement. Before that, Jamarco Jones was in the running for a starting spot. Problem is, they got injured, too. It just happens. But IMO that depth leaves room for Wilson to keep confidence in the offense. There's also Joey Hunt, a quality backup; George Fant, a nice little weapon on the edge for certain plays; and Will Dissly, whose potential hasn't been unlocked at all yet.

Carson adds to that confidence, and Lockett and Baldwin certainly don't take anything away from it. Lockett and Baldwin would be big factors in the "stay" column for Wilson. (I do agree we could use more receiving ammunition.)

I would agree that the possibility of playing under a Reid or McVay type offensive mind somewhere might be enough to lure Wilson away, and besides, the Seahawks have no leverage anyway. So it's not a slam dunk that he stays or goes. He's going to have a distinct pro and a distinct con list, methinks.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
According to Rob Staton look for Seattle to draft a QB again this year maybe as early as round three. I'm not sure I see that happening but Rob is usually right when it comes to the Seahawks draft. The reason he says is to give Seattle more leverage in the upcoming negotiations with Wilson.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This is another non-story and isn't odd at all. Last time they negotiated Wilson's contract, they didn't start talking about contracts until Summer and he didn't sign until July 31st.

It is not unusual at all that they haven't started talking contract numbers yet. The priority for the team right now is getting ready for free agency and the draft. Contract extension talks usually start when that stuff is over.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":10f1n0mi said:
According to Rob Staton look for Seattle to draft a QB again this year maybe as early as round three. I'm not sure I see that happening but Rob is usually right when it comes to the Seahawks draft. The reason he says is to give Seattle more leverage in the upcoming negotiations with Wilson.

Hard to imagine us drafting a QB that early when we only have four picks in the entire draft.........so the combo of having to trade down to acquire more picks + LOTS of holes to fill (WR, LB, DB, safety, D-line, etc.) = I'd be shocked if we picked a QB that early.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ahr2ga1 said:
Northwest Seahawk":1ahr2ga1 said:

Hard to imagine us drafting a QB that early when we only have four picks in the entire draft.........so the combo of having to trade down to acquire more picks + LOTS of holes to fill (WR, LB, DB, safety, D-line, etc.) = I'd be shocked if we picked a QB that early.

Not happening. That is a very lame prediction with 4 draft picks actually.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":38av16ts said:
Sgt. Largent":38av16ts said:
Northwest Seahawk":38av16ts said:

I'd be livid if we drafted a QB that high, not with all our needs and only four picks. I want our draft to look like this;

Round one: Trade down to acquire a 2nd or 3rd rounder
1st Pick: D-line
2nd Pick: Safety
3rd Pick: D-line
4th Pick: D-line
5th Pick: D-line

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lovjdpn said:
Seymour":3lovjdpn said:
Sgt. Largent":3lovjdpn said:
Northwest Seahawk":3lovjdpn said:

I'd be livid if we drafted a QB that high, not with all our needs and only four picks. I want our draft to look like this;

Round one: Trade down to acquire a 2nd or 3rd rounder
1st Pick: D-line
2nd Pick: Safety
3rd Pick: D-line
4th Pick: D-line
5th Pick: D-line

But what about RB and WR ?

Nobody would expect it...………………..

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Did you see Wilson announce his "love" for Ciara on his Instagram??

Cringe....I saw two seconds of it.

The Seahawks also saw this and do not want to re-sign him because they're too embarrassed for him. Lmao.

Tical21

Reaction score
He's the quarterback of Seattle's football team and one of the most recognizable people in the area. People are going to have an opinion about everything he does. He made it public for people to see. Why should he not care? I mean, I'm not even sure he does, but man.

John63

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1atsm6hx said:
Did you see Wilson announce his "love" for Ciara on his Instagram??

Cringe....I saw two seconds of it.

The Seahawks also saw this and do not want to re-sign him because they're too embarrassed for him. Lmao.

You are joking right? goodbye

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1v1t4am5 said:
Why do you care? Just curious.
Don't care, just making fun of the guy.

It's the off-season and not much is going on.

Loosen up and have some fun.

I have a theory about why the Seahawks aren't "talking" to Wilson.

Why should they? If they begin "talks" it may give the idea to Wilson's agent that Wilson may have the leverage cause Seattle indicates they are willing to talk.

By not talking to Wilson's reps, Seattle is in a position where they aren't showing or tipping their hand.

I guarantee you Seahawks scouts and Schneider are looking at college QBs.

They don't need to talk to Wilson right now.

This is a matter of leverage and the Seahawks control it, not Wilson.

The Seahawks are not worried.