Wilson and the read option theory.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think it's a combo of Russell having lost a step and Pete and Bevell being more careful with his health.

Not that Russell doesn't get hammered IN the pocket, but he's much more susceptible to serious injuries when he's out in space running, as we saw last year when he got hurt.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not Russell. It's the fact that we don't have any semblance of a running game that scares anybody, which renders the RO completely moot.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":153j39cx said:
I think it's a combo of Russell having lost a step and Pete and Bevell being more careful with his health.

Not that Russell doesn't get hammered IN the pocket, but he's much more susceptible to serious injuries when he's out in space running, as we saw last year when he got hurt.

Wilson is more quick than fast. He never was "fast". Combine he ran 4.55 which is slower than probably half our defense.

He is 28 years old, and has not "lost a step".

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Seymour":37ay4fjv said:

I want to agree but there was a play recently where he ran in a wide open field for a big gain (I think against the Colts). Nobody around him until the end of the play and the first thing I thought as he was running was "He just doesn't look as quick as he used to."

I still think Russell Wilson is faster than most QB's in the NFL so his potential loss of a step is still quicker than most.

Seymour

Reaction score
Pursuit angles and just plain faster players can also contribute to making someone"appear" slower. Also he likely tapes his ankles and has more protection than when he was a rookie. I've thought the same thing at times, then others I thought not as much so I get the opinion. My main point was, he never was faster than many guys on the other side of the ball on any team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2mf5078n said:

He absolutely has lost a step. Has nothing to do with his age, and everything to do with now being hammered, hurt and beat up for six years.

Does Russell look like he still runs a 4.5? Sure as hell doesn't to me. Still fast, but not the same speed and quickness of his first 2-3 years.

IMO definitely contributing to the lack of read plays being called, he's not outrunning and getting to the edge as quick as he used to.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":1czlqjit said:
I just watched TN score on a 57 yard RO

I saw the same last week

It slows down the defense and makes them honest. We don't have the running threat to make it believable

That's it in a nutshell, without a semblance of run game, the RO is off the chalkboard.
The Offensive Line seems to be doing a better job of Pass Pro. in the last couple games, but they still are lacking in opening holes for the Run Game to get off the ground, and we don't have any Backs that can Beast their own holes to run through.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2fxd3g3h said:
Seymour":2fxd3g3h said:

He absolutely has lost a step. Has nothing to do with his age, and everything to do with now being hammered, hurt and beat up for six years.

Does Russell look like he still runs a 4.5? Sure as hell doesn't to me. Still fast, but not the same speed and quickness of his first 2-3 years.

IMO definitely contributing to the lack of read plays being called, he's not outrunning and getting to the edge as quick as he used to.

Well there you have it.

No debating "absolutely" looks slower.

Fant runs a 4.83 at 6'6" 280, and Wilson was slower in his rookie season than several DT's in the league so I say prove it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1rdi9zj3 said:
Sgt. Largent":1rdi9zj3 said:
Seymour":1rdi9zj3 said:

Well there you have it.

Fant runs a 4.83 at 6'6" 280, and Wilson was slower in his rookie season than several DT's in the league so I say prove it.

No debating "and has not lost a step" either.

Sorry if you can't see it when watching, I and others certainly can. No QB can take the beating Russell's taken for six years and not have it affect his quickness and speed, just his injuries from last year alone would have shaved off some time from his fastest 40 his rookie year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sweet Jesus......soon Global Warming will be his fault as well.

He is now slower than DT's :roll:
You're not supposed to drink the bong water

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3axiojyg said:
Seymour":3axiojyg said:
Sgt. Largent":3axiojyg said:
Seymour":3axiojyg said:

Well there you have it.

No debating "and has not lost a step" either.

Sorry if you can't see it when watching, I and others certainly can. No QB can take the beating Russell's taken for six years and not have it affect his quickness and speed, just his injuries from last year alone would have shaved off some time from his fastest 40 his rookie year.

LOL. Sure!

John Ross runs an NFL record 4.22 after knee surgeries on both knees, but Russell sprains and ankle and that is solid proof he has "lost a step". :roll:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1ph8de8l said:
LOL. Sure!

John Ross runs an NFL record 4.22 after knee surgeries on both knees, but Russell sprains and ankle and that is solid proof he has "lost a step". :roll:

You mean the John Ross who's been hurt all year with zero catches cause sprinting speed has nothing to do with football health and quickness?

Thanks for making my point.

chris98251

Reaction score
His ankles looked heavily taped still, if his cutting ability and explosion is still missing he could still have a lingering effect, they may not be painful but it takes longer to be back to normal from hyper extensions and severe sprains then broken bones. The quick twitch isn't there due to things being stretched out. Can take a while to get that back and then also have confidence it is back and not fear re injuring. Once you have a severe sprain it's really easy for you to re injure since one side will be longer and not as supportive as the other till things tighten back up to a balance.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34vyys24 said:
Seymour":34vyys24 said:
LOL. Sure!

You mean the John Ross who's been hurt all year with zero catches cause sprinting speed has nothing to do with football health and quickness?

Did he beat the record or not (after the surgeries)? Need MANY more examples of why that post is so ill informed? Stay on point or move on I would suggest.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":6l1mlczq said:
His ankles looked heavily taped still, if his cutting ability and explosion is still missing he could still have a lingering effect, they may not be painful but it takes longer to be back to normal from hyper extensions and severe sprains then broken bones. The quick twitch isn't there due to things being stretched out. Can take a while to get that back and then also have confidence it is back and not fear re injuring. Once you have a severe sprain it's really easy for you to re injure since one side will be longer and not as supportive as the other till things tighten back up to a balance.

Then let me know when he has a "severe sprain."

He has yet to miss a game (or even a down)....remember?

Mild sprain...yes.

I'm done with this.

ANTHONY?!? :twisted:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2ms08xym said:
Sgt. Largent":2ms08xym said:
Seymour":2ms08xym said:
LOL. Sure!

Did he beat the record or not (after the surgeries)? Need MANY more examples of why that post is so ill informed? Stay on point or move on I would suggest.

My examples are the fact that this thread exists. Our coaches and Russell know the read isn't as effective as it used to be for a major reason, BECAUSE Russell's lost a step.

Can't just be because Pete's afraid of Russell getting hurt. So even if it's 5% because Russell can't hit the edge or outrun DE's and outside LB's, that's still proof.

If not, then you tell me why we're not running the read anymore?

Seymour

Reaction score
Or because run blocking is at an all time low? Nahhhh. :roll:

Don't let facts get in the way of your theory. Christine Michael has more production than Rawl, Procise, and Lacy.....COMBINED.

Enough said.