Assessment of the offense

Hawks46

Reaction score
I was disappointed in Ifedi this game.

He rarely got physically handled, but he missed a lot of blocks and assignments. Our OL in general was pretty sad last night, and I really felt sorry for Rawls. That guy runs so hard, even when he gets his ass kicked he still keeps slamming into the line. That pays off against lesser DL's.

Kearse is losing snaps alright.....to Tyler Lockett. He was lined up more outside last game....like on his big TD pass. It was blown coverage, but I'm finally glad to see us make someone pay for blowing a coverage.

That move by Baldwin was just sick. You could see the CB just knew he got whupped by the way he was running back to Doug when the ball was thrown. Kind of swinging his legs like he knew he wasn't going to get there.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Good points Greg.
I liked the gadget play too. So many playmakers touching the ball on that play.
For a rookie Mcevoy moved well, sealed off gaps then leaked out to the flat wide open. I thought Wilson could have easily gone back to Mcevoy for a decent gain but Wilson loves the deep ball.

capncrunch

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3892m8ni said:
1. For me, scoring 24 points against a team that has smacked us sideways the last few seasons was a huge positive. I give the maligned O line some credit, yes there was pressure -- but it was much better than it has been vs LA.

P.S. Aaron Donald is a MAN BEAST. I would kill to have a player like that on our D line. Just a force.

2. I am still kind of confused on why Graham disappears for huge parts of games. He has two catches in the last two games. I understand teams are paying him a lot of attention, but he is still a bona fide threat. He didn't get a lot of snaps last night (37), likely because of the short week and trying to protect his knee. He is such a threat, just want to see him more consistent in the game plan.

3. Russell's ability to break from the pocket and run is a HUGE factor for us going forward. Teams were lucky to not have to worry about him running when he was hurt, they now need to pay attention. I would like to see more read option.

4. I don't know what is up with Kearse this season. I'm not in the "Kearse hating" crowd, but I do think we need an upgrade. If you would have told me he would go the entire season and not get a single TD catch, I would have said you are crazy. Maybe he will finally snag one in the last few games and that will help his confidence? I don't know, he seems kind of uninspired to me...

I was hoping Richardson would step up this season, but he is a non-factor. But, I am glad they carved out a roster spot for McEvoy.

WR is an area we need to target in the draft, for sure.

5. I am excited to get Prosise back., hopefully for our first playoff game. He was really turning into a threat. We could really use his presence, especially on 3rd downs as an escape valve. Any updates on his shoulder, by the way?

6. Reece was a really good signing. He adds a dimension out of the backfield that Tukuafu didn't. He should have had an easy TD catch last night but Russell missed the throw. He has good hands and he knows how to get open, and that is a great thing to have for Wilson as a secondary or tertiary read. Kind of like having Mike Rob again, he was a big factor for our offense in 2012-2013.

7. Nice seeing Willson healthy and making plays. I'd still love to see more Vannett, but there is only so many snaps. Having a second TE threat will be huge when teams obsess on Graham. Great job by Willson keeping his balance on his TD.

8. Play calling: Nice to see another gadget play, it was under thrown and Doug fell down... Teams now need to pay attention to McEvoy as a dual threat.

Where are the screen passes and crossing routes?? I don't know if they don't run crossers due to Wilson's pocket visibility or what, but it seems like every pass is on the boundaries or flats and a few seams. I would think Lockett with his speed and Baldwin with his shiftiness would get open easily on drags. They may not be big gainers, but it's 5+ yards at a clip. When the running game is struggling, those are the kinds of plays I would like to see to help move the chains. It doesn't always need to be feast or famine.

9. Lockett is the threat we have been missing this season. He is a legitimate dual threat. Nice to see him have a breakout game and snag a long TD catch.

10. Baldwin DESTROYED Hill off the line on his TD. Holy crap he juked his jock strap off... lol. That was an audible I believe, similar to his game winner vs Miami. Originally, Kearse was in the left slot and when Russell saw the coverage he motioned Kearse to the right side and Doug lifted up his left hand, which I think was an acknowledgment to Russell that he knew it was coming his way. They have such great chemistry.

Anyways, just thought I would share observations after re-watching the game closely this morning. I am interested to see your comments.

Yeah good points. Vannett will get his chances. Nice to have a decent backup. Good showing from Willson. Yeah. Reece was a very good pickup. Looking forward to some more of him.

hawk45

Reaction score
Great OP. The OL is still garbage but they seem to have shifted to total absence of run blocking and occasional pass protection as opposed to vice versa. Which I am actually okay with although there is no reason to expect they won't regress under cable based on past history.
I considered it a stellar offensive performance vs the Rams. Exceeded expectations by a mile.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
All is covered pretty much but the quick slants.I believe you hardly see it because Russ cannot see over the line to do it.I hope I'm wrong but that is a weakness(not being able to)

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
from
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... is-season/
---
The Marshawn Lynch effect: A look at why the Seahawks’ offense has struggled this season

Without Beast Mode on the field, opposing defenses aren’t honoring the Hawks’ running game and are making it harder to throw the ball.

Jayson JenksBy Jayson Jenks
Seattle Times staff reporter

You didn’t need to dig to discover who the Seahawks wanted to be. It was never more obvious than when they talked about running back Marshawn Lynch.

“He’s basically the concrete of the offense,” safety Earl Thomas once said.

Running-backs coach Sherman Smith took it even further: “He’s the heart and soul of our team. I truly believe that.”

(contd)

StoneCold

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":29v1vubn said:
from
---
The Marshawn Lynch effect: A look at why the Seahawks’ offense has struggled this season

Without Beast Mode on the field, opposing defenses aren’t honoring the Hawks’ running game and are making it harder to throw the ball.

You didn’t need to dig to discover who the Seahawks wanted to be. It was never more obvious than when they talked about running back Marshawn Lynch.

Running-backs coach Sherman Smith took it even further: “He’s the heart and soul of our team. I truly believe that.”

(contd)

When you add in that Rawls is barely more than a rookie, our oline is a work in progress and RW being hurt, it's no wonder teams don't worry about the run game. I hope they continue as I see it coming together and those teams are going to get burned.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":15a9d4dl said:
Brockers is also a huge handful on that Rams D line. We couldn't run up the gut at all and that's what surprises me about Sherman's reaction.

I'm at the point after supporting Kearse that McEvoy needs to take his reps. I'm quite positive at this point that he can out produce him.

Not surprised we couldn't run, that line raises it's level of nasty when we play them.

"Raises It's Level Of Nasty When We Play Them" indeed, that's why I was fist-pumping air when Ryan took off running on that fake punt.
Nothing like humiliating & scorching a cocky Rams Defense.
I ESPECIALLY loved seeing Aaron Donald's tantrum-throwing inner child exposed for an extra 15 yards of penalty.
I'm not diss'n his exceptional athleticism, just can't respect the unnecessary "Dirty" that he adds to the end of some of his great plays...He's a whole lot like Suh in that way.
Even though I've given kudo's to Kearse in the past couple years, I too would like to see what McEvoy can bring to the Offensive mix.
I also whole heartedly agree that the Seahawks need to try and snag a #1 type Receiver early in the upcoming draft.

RussB

Reaction score
It still baffles me why they dont throw to graham more. Hes the type of player you run an offense through,not a role player like seattle seems to keep trying to make him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":rbybcsjc said:
from
---

(contd)

I would like to add...Russell Wilson played a big role in fortifying that Run First mantra, there were times when Defenses were keying on Lynch, sometimes stymying some of his "Beastmode" runs, they were gouged by a running Russell Wilson on a few plays.....Tom Cable touted the success of the Seahawks Run game was due to this combo.
With the combo of Marshawn Lynch & Russell Wilson, Cable was charged with developing a Run First Blocking O-Line, and all that had come to an abrupt end when Lynch was injured early last season, as the dual threat was gone, Defenses were keying on Wilson, he was getting sacked, hit & hurried mercilessly, and there was nothing that the Run Blocking O-Line could do to even give minimal protection to Russell Wilson.
Cable had to make a major shift with the O-Line, to get them to form some semblance of a protective pocket, or the constant pounding on Wilson was going to continue.
Wilson had to help his O-Line by making quicker reads & throws....He and Baldwin went on a tear, Rawls was helping with his exceptional play, he did it without the aid of a Run First O-Line, thus prompting Tom Cable to saying, that when Lynch comes back, he's going to have to make some changes to his game, as protecting Russell Wilson had become the new Seahawks "Mantra".

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
"Lynch missed most of 2015 with injuries, averaged just 3.8 yards per carry and yet the Seahawks ranked third in rushing yards. But former NFL fullback Heath Evans counters that the Seahawks still had Lynch’s identity then.

“I’ve said for years the day Marshawn retires this team will change,” Evans said. “And it has. I still believe a person’s presence, even though he’s not on the field, has impact. I believe there’s a mindset and a mentality that Pete has instilled in that team that Marshawn was a big part of.

“You don’t replace the heartbeat of a team. I hate to say it because I’m a big Russell fan. But this wasn’t Russell’s team. This was Marshawn’s team. Period, the end.”

Beren

Reaction score
RussB":2ovw6j7e said:
It still baffles me why they dont throw to graham more. Hes the type of player you run an offense through,not a role player like seattle seems to keep trying to make him.

Can only hope they're just managing his reps and saving him for the post-season!

Good post btw OP.

I don't hate Kearse exactly, but I don't think he's worth a place ahead of McEvoy at this point who I'd rather continue to develop as he looks promising and his size provides a different option than the speedy-but-small Baldwin/Lockett threat.