Wilson and the read option theory.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":hy219sfb said:
chris98251":hy219sfb said:
His ankles looked heavily taped still, if his cutting ability and explosion is still missing he could still have a lingering effect, they may not be painful but it takes longer to be back to normal from hyper extensions and severe sprains then broken bones. The quick twitch isn't there due to things being stretched out. Can take a while to get that back and then also have confidence it is back and not fear re injuring. Once you have a severe sprain it's really easy for you to re injure since one side will be longer and not as supportive as the other till things tighten back up to a balance.

Then let me know when he has a "severe sprain."

He has yet to miss a game (or even a down)....remember?

Mild sprain...yes.

I'm done with this.

ANTHONY?!? :twisted:

You seen his injury last year, had high ankle sprain in one leg and a severe sprain in the knee MCL, Baldwin stated he also had additional injuries, anymore retorts Genius, or maybe we should say Donkeyspurt :eek:wned: ? That doesn't even include the pec injury last year.

After suffering through ankle and knee injuries, the Seattle Seahawks quarterback is now dealing with a right pectoral injury. Wilson downplayed the latest body damage Thursday, saying it's not "crazy, crazy bad."

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, however, that the sprained ankle is significant enough to put his availability in Week 2 versus the L.A. Rams into question.

Wilson suffered a high-ankle sprain in Week 1 of 2016. Just 2 weeks later, he sustained a left MCL sprain. Those injuries led to career-lows in the rushing department, but Wilson managed to appear in all 16 games. In fact, he’s now done that in 5 straight seasons.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Aros":jg52q8o6 said:
Seymour":jg52q8o6 said:
He is 28 years old, and has not "lost a step".

I want to agree but there was a play recently where he ran in a wide open field for a big gain (I think against the Colts). Nobody around him until the end of the play and the first thing I thought as he was running was "He just doesn't look as quick as he used to."

I still think Russell Wilson is faster than most QB's in the NFL so his potential loss of a step is still quicker than most.

This. Its pretty clear to me he has lost a step. He still is quicker then the normal QB but he has lost a step IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":35l7uzhp said:
Or because run blocking is at an all time low? Nahhhh. :roll:

Don't let facts get in the way of your theory. Christine Michael has more production than Rawl, Procise, and Lacy.....COMBINED.

Enough said.

Enough said? How bout nothing said. Christine Michael, John Ross, Fant's 40 time, you're all over the nonsense road.

Sure there are other factors when it comes to us running the read, but if you think Russell's still as fast, quick and healthy as he was six years ago after the massive abuse and injuries he's endured for the past six years? Then yes, this conversation is over.

Seymour

Reaction score
OK...I'll admit it now.... :x

Too slow, too fat, too short...and not black enough.

Please Russell, go get a tattoo and turn this around!

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3c8fkcvt said:
Seymour":3c8fkcvt said:
Or because run blocking is at an all time low? Nahhhh. :roll:

Don't let facts get in the way of your theory. Christine Michael has more production than Rawl, Procise, and Lacy.....COMBINED.

Enough said.

Enough said? How bout nothing said. Christine Michael, John Ross, Fant's 40 time, you're all over the nonsense road.

Sure there are other factors when it comes to us running the read, but if you think Russell's still as fast, quick and healthy as he was six years ago after the massive abuse and injuries he's endured for the past six years? Then yes, this conversation is over.

Am I?
Please explain why we cut Michael and kept the others I compared him to.

We kept the better players, and have less production by FAR than Michael.

It proves beyond a doubt our oline sucks. The times prove injuries do not mean automatic loss of speed. It proves that defenders in many cases are faster than Russell ever was even in his prime combine numbers.

Don't mention it....
Glad to help.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would say one thing, Spencer Ware and now Alex Collins were considered average but physical backs, after leaving here both excelled, scheme or line or both.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":333m2yek said:
He absolutely has lost a step. Has nothing to do with his age, and everything to do with now being hammered, hurt and beat up for six years.

Does Russell look like he still runs a 4.5? Sure as hell doesn't to me. Still fast, but not the same speed and quickness of his first 2-3 years.

IMO definitely contributing to the lack of read plays being called, he's not outrunning and getting to the edge as quick as he used to.

I won't say that Russell is 100% as fast as he was his first season. But watching him squirt up the middle for huge gains when the pocket breaks down, he still looks to my eyes plenty fast enough to threaten with the RO.

It's not a question of either/or, but looking at the two factors which help make up effective RO:

1) Russ speed/quickness
2) Running threat effectiveness

It's pretty clear to me that number 2 is by far the more degraded of the two. If Russ is at 80% past quickness, the run threat is at, what, 20% being kind?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":hvn2hwls said:
Am I?
Please explain why we cut Michael and kept the others I compared him to. .

We cut Michael for the same reason he's riding the bench for the god awful Colts without even one carry this year, he fumbles, has horrible running lane awareness and can't seem to figure out who to block on pass pro, ever.

Our line sucks, and it's sucked for years. Yet for some reason THIS is the year we stop running as much read?

Sorry, just not buying it. I see Russell not getting to the corner as quick, not out running DE's and outside LB's anymore, getting caught from behind more, and just not having the same burst as he used to.

It's normal, most running quick QB's wear down as their career goes along.

Believe me, with how putrid this offense is at moving the ball, why WOULDN'T Pete, Bevell and Russell run more read if they thought it'd work? Since when does Pete care about not calling running plays with a terrible line? It's never stopped him before.

Seymour

Reaction score
I made a mistake. It is Alex Collins that outproduced the 3 I mentioned.

Point is still exactly the same though.

Attachments

• Collins.jpg
    Collins.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 2,132

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":19xhzozp said:
Sgt. Largent":19xhzozp said:
He absolutely has lost a step. Has nothing to do with his age, and everything to do with now being hammered, hurt and beat up for six years.

Does Russell look like he still runs a 4.5? Sure as hell doesn't to me. Still fast, but not the same speed and quickness of his first 2-3 years.

IMO definitely contributing to the lack of read plays being called, he's not outrunning and getting to the edge as quick as he used to.

I won't say that Russell is 100% as fast as he was his first season. But watching him squirt up the middle for huge gains when the pocket breaks down, he still looks to my eyes plenty fast enough to threaten with the RO.

It's not a question of either/or, but looking at the two factors which help make up effective RO:

1) Russ speed/quickness
2) Running threat effectiveness

It's pretty clear to me that number 2 is by far the more degraded of the two. If Russ is at 80% past quickness, the run threat is at, what, 20% being kind?

I'd buy this, I'm speaking to guys like Seymour who think he's 100% of the same quickness and speed as six years ago.

Just not true.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1uxniklm said:
I'd buy this, I'm speaking to guys like Seymour who think he's 100% of the same quickness and speed as six years ago.

Just not true.

100%? No. Not what I said. I listed other reasons he could appear slower, and only will say 100% that is not the main reason we no longer are running it as much. You have to have a threatening running game for it to work, and injuries last year woke the coaches up to not risk his health.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Wait so is Russell Wilson now slower than Alex Smith? KC has been running an option offense and destroying the league, with the exception of the Steelers. Smith has been carving up defenses on third and long with his legs and has a bunch of first down runs on second and longs to boot. I'll agree Russ looks a bit slower but I'm not sure that's even true. It feels like ages since he's been running regularly so I'm not sure I have a comparison of what he "normally" looks like fresh in my mind.

The notion that option offenses are dead is untrue:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/1 ... hers-bears

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":hwxy5i44 said:
Wait so is Russell Wilson now slower than Alex Smith? KC has been running an option offense and destroying the league, with the exception of the Steelers. Smith has been carving up defenses on third and long with his legs and has a bunch of first down runs on second and longs to boot. I'll agree Russ looks a bit slower but I'm not sure that's even true. It feels like ages since he's been running regularly so I'm not sure I have a comparison of what he "normally" looks like fresh in my mind.

The notion that option offenses are dead is untrue:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/1 ... hers-bears

These two in green may have something to do with respecting the run game in KC. Creating lanes for the RO to work there.

31 Hunt, Akeem
RB 5-10 185 24 3 Purdue
27 Hunt, Kareem
RB 5-11 208 22 R Toledo

42 Sherman, Anthony
RB 5-10 242 28 7 Connecticut
26 Spiller, C.J.
RB 5-11 200 30 8 Clemson
35 West, Charcandrick
RB 5-10 205 26 4 Abilene Christian
32 Ware, Spencer
RB 5-10 229 25 4 LSU

adeltaY

Reaction score
True, but it works both ways. The misdirections Reid builds into his offense help Hunt, while Hunt also opens up the little shovel passes to Kelce, Smith keepers, and jet sweeps to WRs.

seedhawk

Reaction score
When we had Marshawn, we ran more read option, but not to employ RW so much, as to make Marshawn more effective. The RO kept the DE from crashing down at will, and also held either a LB or a S wide. Thus, even with what started as a stacked box, the RO took 2 defenders away from where we wanted ML to run. Worked for all. We now do not have a RB on our roster who supplies what ML did, ergo, not much RO.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
We still run the read option, the QB is told to not keep it, unless there is 2 minutes or less left in a half.
It’s a worthless play because our offenseive coaching stafff makes it so. When teams see it then know the RB is getting the ball. Russ could have had a walk in TD if he had kept it on one of the goal line plays, as everyone swarmed the RB.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2qcf1tdp said:
We still run the read option, the QB is told to not keep it, unless there is 2 minutes or less left in a half.
It’s a worthless play because our offenseive coaching stafff makes it so. When teams see it then know the RB is getting the ball. Russ could have had a walk in TD if he had kept it on one of the goal line plays, as everyone swarmed the RB.

Think I saw at least two times the defense completely ignored RW on the RO.