Wilson has signed a deal with seattle seahawks!!!!!

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1y34lwim said:
onanygivensunday":1y34lwim said:
HawkFan72":1y34lwim said:
Sgt. Largent":1y34lwim said:
- This deal actually saves us another 7M off the cap for 2019

This might be the part that is most exciting for me. Getting this deal done now gives them time to work on other extension deals with this money. Cap was starting to get pretty tight, but now they have a little breathing room to work with.
What is the source for saving $7M against this year's cap?... any idea?

Russell's cap hit would have been 32M this year if no new deal. The new deal has his 2019 total salary with base and bonus at 25M.

If I'm wrong, blame Jake Heaps, that's what he said this morning on KIRO with Salk.
Overthecap.com has his "old" 2019 cap hit at $25.3M... not $32M.

And if his "new" 2019 cap hit is actually $25M, then Clayton's reported difference in Russell's 2019 cap hit of +$1M seems about right.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I love Wilson. That's a lot of money. I don't know much about the salary cap, so I will refrain from passing judgment in terms of whether or not this is the best move for the team.

But I will say this...I sure wish I could get a 50% (or whatever) pay increase for continuing to do the same job. It's insane how pro athletes' salaries increase so much in such small amounts of time.

Yes, there is more money being made with TV contracts and all that, and it's good that the players are getting a good chunk of that. But, *why* is there so much more money available? Where is it coming from?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":14rbq6eu said:
Sgt. Largent":14rbq6eu said:
Not sure how you can be anything other than happy about this.

- got our franchise QB for another 5 years
- Russell's just entering his prime
- This deal actually saves us another 7M off the cap for 2019
- Nothing was tied to the salary cap or fully guaranteed

Win, win, win and win. Good job Pete and John, and Russell.
Because we just committed franchise suicide, jumping off the cliff with the rest of the lemmings?

You're right, we should have traded Russell, started Paxton Lynch, gone 2-14 and spent the next 36 years desperately trying to find another franchise QB, like we did the first 36 years of our existence.

But hey, we would have had lots of money to spend on overpriced free agents that wouldn't perform anywhere close to what we were paying them to help us go 2-14.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
In a perfect world Pete decides that with Russ getting more money he has to shoulder more of the load. No, I am not saying abandon the establish the run philosophy, I am just saying be more flexible. I'm talking about how they crossed up everyone by throwing deep late vs KC when everyone expected them to run the ball and work the clock.

In a situation like Dallas once it's obvious the run holes are not there, say screw it, put the game in the hands of your elite QB. If anyone here follows Warren Sharp he's a big Wilson fan and breaks down the numbers supporting how good he is.

kf3339

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3igujd15 said:
In a perfect world Pete decides that with Russ getting more money he has to shoulder more of the load. No, I am not saying abandon the establish the run philosophy, I am just saying be more flexible. I'm talking about how they crossed up everyone by throwing deep late vs KC when everyone expected them to run the ball and work the clock.

In a situation like Dallas once it's obvious the run holes are not there, say screw it, put the game in the hands of your elite QB. If anyone here follows Warren Sharp he's a big Wilson fan and breaks down the numbers supporting how good he is.

:ditto:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Maulbert":teuukffs said:
UK_Seahawk":teuukffs said:
We just became the packers with a slightly worse QB.

Have you watched Aaron Rodgers play the last two seasons?

Apparently not. Ross Tucker said for the next 5 years the only guy he would take over Wilson is Mahomes and he said MAYBE.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":36qb9oeo said:
Largent80":36qb9oeo said:
I guess we can call this the Green new deal.
Almost as expensive.

This is a political discussion. I got warned for a nearly harmless political cartoon by cowboy moderator. Why is this allowed? Variable enforcement of forum rules perhaps based on moderators political beliefs or on personal likes and dislikes for certain posters?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":ivu0nlwi said:

We had a 14-10 lead going into the 4th quarter. Why do you think Russell shouldering more of the load would have helped more than the defense doing their job?

Offense is about what it's always been about, balance. So yes, I think even Pete would admit he'd like more balance than the 56% run vs pass of last year.

So just because we're paying Russell more, doesn't mean we change our entire offensive philosophy............because that takes away from what Russell does best. Protect the ball, play action, be EXTREMELY efficient and make explosive plays in the 2nd halves of games.

Our recipe works.

- draft defense
- nasty run game
- use Russell to his strengths

Nothing's changed, other than John and Pete's margin for error in drafting and acquiring players.

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":cfwd0www said:
Clayton just said that his cap number is only going up 1 mil this season. I trust his word a lot more than a guy fighting as hard he can against a great deal for the Hawks. All due to his hate for Russ. But whatever, he's here for 5 more years. Sorry, you'll have to get used to it :irishdrinkers:
For the last time...i have zero against Russell Wilson. Stop mis-characterizing what I say and putting words in my mouth. If there were ANY examples of a QB breaking the bank and winning a Super Bowl, I'd be all-in. Russ is great. But there isn't a single one. It has never happened. I am more of a Seahawks fan than a Wilson fan. I want the Seahawks to win. And their chances of doing so were negatively impacted today. You can say "Go hawks" all you want, but what you really mean is "Go Russell, screw the Hawks." Today, the Seahawks cemented the fact that they aren't going to win a Super Bowl in the coming years. If you want to celebrate that, go ahead.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3tqwbzpo said:

We had a 14-10 lead going into the 4th quarter. Why do you think Russell shouldering more of the load would have helped more than the defense doing their job?

Offense is about what it's always been about, balance. So yes, I think even Pete would admit he'd like more balance than the 56% run vs pass of last year.

So just because we're paying Russell more, doesn't mean we change our entire offensive philosophy............because that takes away from what Russell does best. Protect the ball, play action, be EXTREMELY efficient and make explosive plays in the 2nd halves of games.

Our recipe works.

- draft defense
- nasty run game
- use Russell to his strengths

Nothing's changed, other than John and Pete's margin for error in drafting and acquiring players.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Is that so Tical? You post and tell me to not put words in your mouth. And in the same post you tell me that I'm saying Screw The Hawks??? Holy hell you are a trip man. I have never missed a Hawks game in their entire existence, been going to games since 79, have been a STH for 27 years. I have never once been anything but 100 percent for this team, thru thick and a lot of thin. You have zero idea what you're talking about if you actually think I would ever say screw the Hawks. You're just pissed off because you wanted so desperately to see Russ gone.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tical21":1d5h4tlu said:
If there were ANY examples of a QB breaking the bank and winning a Super Bowl, I'd be all-in. Russ is great. But there isn't a single one. It has never happened.

Your criteria are nearly worthless. There are kind of a number of factors going into winning a Super Bowl. It makes no sense to judge the contract like this.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":7n9pmkz8 said:
SoulfishHawk":7n9pmkz8 said:
Clayton just said that his cap number is only going up 1 mil this season. I trust his word a lot more than a guy fighting as hard he can against a great deal for the Hawks. All due to his hate for Russ. But whatever, he's here for 5 more years. Sorry, you'll have to get used to it :irishdrinkers:
For the last time...i have zero against Russell Wilson. Stop mis-characterizing what I say and putting words in my mouth. If there were ANY examples of a QB breaking the bank and winning a Super Bowl, I'd be all-in. Russ is great. But there isn't a single one. It has never happened. I am more of a Seahawks fan than a Wilson fan. I want the Seahawks to win. And their chances of doing so were negatively impacted today. You can say "Go hawks" all you want, but what you really mean is "Go Russell, screw the Hawks." Today, the Seahawks cemented the fact that they aren't going to win a Super Bowl in the coming years. If you want to celebrate that, go ahead.

So what you saying is you would have proffered not and trading him and then try to find a cheap QB that you can win with. Let's see last time it took 8 years form the SB team of 2005 to 2012. so under you plan we would be 6-10 at best for the ext 8 years. OR we can keep Wilson like we did and be 10-6 or better and in the playoffs every year were anything can happen. Add to that . after this season 7 other starting QBs become FAs, to include Brady and Brees do you really think Wilson will still be in the tops. His current contract avg a little over 31 mil for 5 years. By this time next year he will not even be top 5. You see like you say I am a Hawks fan first but I see Wilson as part of our best chance to win, so I want to keep him.

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3g8hhdkl said:
Is that so Tical? You post and tell me to not put words in your mouth. And in the same post you tell me that I'm saying Screw The Hawks??? Holy hell you are a trip man. I have never missed a Hawks game in their entire existence, been going to games since 79, have been a STH for 27 years. I have never once been anything but 100 percent for this team, thru thick and a lot of thin. You have zero idea what you're talking about if you actually think I would ever say screw the Hawks. You're just pissed off because you wanted so desperately to see Russ gone.
You just did. I want Russ here badly, at a contract that will allow us to win championships. I do not want him here if it means we cannot win championships.

If we do not win a championship in the next 4 years, can you consider this contract a success?

We had the best roster in the NFL when we signed him last time, and that went away quickly. The best rosters in the NFL win championships, moreso than the best quarterbacks. And we just doubled down. It's suicide.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":opw47p6f said:
SoulfishHawk":opw47p6f said:

Nothing's changed except the salaries.

Look back over the past 20-25 SB winners, it's all top 10 QB's. I get what you're saying, I do. It's much more difficult to win with paying your QB 20% of your cap.

But that doesn't mean you remove the one person on the team that gives you the best chance to win. It means you do a better job of drafting and acquiring.

Russell on the Hawk's last year, 10-6. Russell not on the Hawk's last year, probably 3-13 at best. It's as simple as that, Russell = wins. No Russell = who the hell knows, probably not good.

Tical21

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":311av5e2 said:
Tical21":311av5e2 said:
If there were ANY examples of a QB breaking the bank and winning a Super Bowl, I'd be all-in. Russ is great. But there isn't a single one. It has never happened.

Your criteria are nearly worthless. There are kind of a number of factors going into winning a Super Bowl. It makes no sense to judge the contract like this.
Best rosters win Super Bowls. And we will not have one of the best rosters when paying a QB that much money, period.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25ewwf5q said:
Tical21":25ewwf5q said:
SoulfishHawk":25ewwf5q said:

Look back over the past 20-25 SB winners, it's all top 10 QB's. I get what you're saying, I do. It's much more difficult to win with paying your QB 20% of your cap.

But that doesn't mean you remove the one person on the team that gives you the best chance to win. It means you do a better job of drafting and acquiring.

Russell on the Hawk's last year, 10-6. Russell not on the Hawk's last year, probably 3-13 at best. It's as simple as that, Russell = wins. No Russell = who the hell knows, probably not good.
Question is which one gives you a better chance of a championship.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well we now have 5 more years of Tical and Spin Doctor to listen to about how they don't like Wilson, this reminds me of the Hass years, always had outliers that had to stir it up about him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tical21":3g245za7 said:
Sgt. Largent":3g245za7 said:
Tical21":3g245za7 said:
SoulfishHawk":3g245za7 said:

Question is which one gives you a better chance of a championship.

Having a franchise QB.

If the choice is between breaking the bank for a franchise QB, or lacking one, the former is the better choice. Neither is ideal, but you need a franchise QB.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, at least now I can retire from having conversations w/you Tical. Like Anthrax said, talking to you is like clapping with one hand. It's all good though, I THINK we both love the Hawks. So there is that.