Wilson has signed a deal with seattle seahawks!!!!!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hwj781a said:
mrt144":1hwj781a said:
HawkRiderFan":1hwj781a said:
Here's what I don't get...when I am reading articles or listing to the NFL talking heads, who would be neutral and have no allegiances in the situation, pretty much all of them have called this a good deal, or saying the Hawks had to do it. Yet there are people in our own fan base who don't like it.

People in our own fan base have a different schema of what they think makes a SB winning football team.

Outside observers see the pure talent of RW agnostic to whether he's used to his maximum value, how the rest of the team is built, the tactical desires of the coaching staff, etc etc. They have a less fleshed out impression of the whole picture but as such they aren't bogged down by dead end cynicism.

I also think there's a LARGE segment of our fanbase that is new, and doesn't understand the value of having a top 5-10 QB, and how rare that is.

It's a myopic point of view, and if the detractors 1. Understood the sport and saw how sports contracts work and 2. Understood the history of the Hawks and understand that it's taken literally 40 years to find a Russell Wilson, and you don't just let this kind of player go because he's making 5M more than you're comfortable with.

There also are new fans that believe a great QB is all it takes to field a good team without understanding how a large contract COULD be detrimental to the overall team structure.

Goes both ways really. Having a great QB is really, really important. Having a great roster is also really, really important.

Obviously hitting the nirvana on both is ideal, but hard to do. Hopefully John and Pete can get creative and continue to build a decent team around him so that we can stay in the playoff discussion each year.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1e9a0qv3 said:
Sgt. Largent":1e9a0qv3 said:
mrt144":1e9a0qv3 said:
HawkRiderFan":1e9a0qv3 said:
Here's what I don't get...when I am reading articles or listing to the NFL talking heads, who would be neutral and have no allegiances in the situation, pretty much all of them have called this a good deal, or saying the Hawks had to do it. Yet there are people in our own fan base who don't like it.

People in our own fan base have a different schema of what they think makes a SB winning football team.

Outside observers see the pure talent of RW agnostic to whether he's used to his maximum value, how the rest of the team is built, the tactical desires of the coaching staff, etc etc. They have a less fleshed out impression of the whole picture but as such they aren't bogged down by dead end cynicism.

I also think there's a LARGE segment of our fanbase that is new, and doesn't understand the value of having a top 5-10 QB, and how rare that is.

It's a myopic point of view, and if the detractors 1. Understood the sport and saw how sports contracts work and 2. Understood the history of the Hawks and understand that it's taken literally 40 years to find a Russell Wilson, and you don't just let this kind of player go because he's making 5M more than you're comfortable with.

There also are new fans that believe a great QB is all it takes to field a good team without understanding how a large contract COULD be detrimental to the overall team structure.

Goes both ways really. Having a great QB is really, really important. Having a great roster is also really, really important.

Obviously hitting the nirvana on both is ideal, but hard to do. Hopefully John and Pete can get creative and continue to build a decent team around him so that we can stay in the playoff discussion each year.

I feel like the "QB solves all problems" is a neophyte position and "A highly paid QB is an albatross on any ambition" is a recency bias position.

We have object lessons in how to build teams and the tradeoffs they make. Drew Brees is a bonafide HoF talent. Not enough for the Saints. The Broncos are defensively jacked and won a SB but are currently rudderless. That D isnt enough in the ghost of the SB due to incompetent QB play and rudderless GMing directly manifested at QB.

It is not very satisfying to have the overall team building ethos be "be excellent at all you do" but time and time again, its the composite picture of the team and not individual pixels or objects in the picture that deliver the goods. PCJS touched on that with the draft, FA moves and trades their first 5 years.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I think it's great that Wilson got paid, cause Wilson actually plays like a franchise QB. You see Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Jimmy Garoppolo, and freakin' Kirk Cousins all top each other to become the highest paid player in the league, and what the heck have they done to earn it? Wilson's accomplished more in his first 3 years than either of them have in their careers. Wilson is a winner, and if you have someone like him as your QB, you make sure to keep him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mrt144":2imbiqyk said:
I feel like the "QB solves all problems" is a neophyte position

No, it's just a position borne of watching Russell Wilson drive his team down the field while running for his life at the same time over and over and over again, each and every season, behind the one of the consistently worst offensive lines in the game.

John63

Reaction score
mrt144":1l37q7a4 said:
IndyHawk":1l37q7a4 said:
Sgt. Largent":1l37q7a4 said:
mrt144":1l37q7a4 said:

The whole thing for most of us who did not want that contract is that we will have
too many weak spots on the team to have any chance at a SB..
Why even do it if the chance's are slim to none?
People will blame everything else but the fact is we will be weak
in too many spots just like last time until the cap goes up 2-3 yrs
down the road.
It isn't that we don't like RW which certain posters cannot figure
this out.
We will see what happens but don't bitch when you see holes
and want to blame OL again or a weak D because cuts will
be made because of cap reasons.

Perhaps then, maybe the qualm is how far along the rest of the team is then?

Or the coaching. Or fa pick ups, or bad drafts. There are alot of reasons why we may or may not make an SB in the next 2 years, Wilson is not and will not be one of them.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":6638wag7 said:
mrt144":6638wag7 said:

No, it's just a position borne of watching Russell Wilson drive his team down the field while running for his life at the same time over and over and over again, each and every season, behind the one of the consistently worst offensive lines in the game.

I think if you were to obscure the names of specific players and just ask a hypothetical about the importance of QB and securing a good one at all costs, a new fan to the NFL or a specific team would be totally on board with that to the exclusion of other parts of the team.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mrt144":32uhi9ac said:
MontanaHawk05":32uhi9ac said:
mrt144":32uhi9ac said:

I think if you were to obscure the names of specific players and just ask a hypothetical about the importance of QB and securing a good one at all costs, a new fan to the NFL or a specific team would be totally on board with that to the exclusion of other parts of the team.

But we're not obscuring names. We're talking about Russell Wilson.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1kf55rya said:
mrt144":1kf55rya said:
MontanaHawk05":1kf55rya said:
mrt144":1kf55rya said:

But we're not obscuring names. We're talking about Russell Wilson.

Then we have two different points that arent exclusive.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":8a9n4v4g said:
mrt144":8a9n4v4g said:
IndyHawk":8a9n4v4g said:
Sgt. Largent":8a9n4v4g said:

The whole thing for most of us who did not want that contract is that we will have
too many weak spots on the team to have any chance at a SB..
Why even do it if the chance's are slim to none?
People will blame everything else but the fact is we will be weak
in too many spots just like last time until the cap goes up 2-3 yrs
down the road.
It isn't that we don't like RW which certain posters cannot figure
this out.
We will see what happens but don't bitch when you see holes
and want to blame OL again or a weak D because cuts will
be made because of cap reasons.

Perhaps then, maybe the qualm is how far along the rest of the team is then?

Or the coaching. Or fa pick ups, or bad drafts. There are alot of reasons why we may or may not make an SB in the next 2 years, Wilson is not and will not be one of them.
The bad drafts and bust fa pick ups happen..
The room for error has shrunk a lot..
It does start with that contract and the couple other big ones that
follow to BWags ect.