Wilson is the MVP.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Hawkpower":ba1k3x73 said:
Hockey Guy":ba1k3x73 said:
hawkfannj":ba1k3x73 said:
I’ve been very critical of him in past years but this year he has transformed before my eyes . There is nobody close to him in talking about MVP

Nothing has transformed. You were just wrong. :D

To be fair, Wilson absolutely has improved.

Gone (seemingly) are the days where he would be awful for a half and then suddenly click and light it up. Now he just lights it up from the get go!!

I think we all saw this season as his potential, and it’s a beautiful thing to see it come to fruition. He’s fantastic.

Yea, let’s not be stubborn here.

People have been arguing that the reason for the slow starts before was part Pete ball, and part Bevell. The worst thing some of you could do at this point is to lack the humility to admit wrong. It was never a Wilson thing. Yes he has improved but he’s not suddenly a different QB

cymatica

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2jb8u50u said:
FWIW This morning on ESPN they are touting Lamar Jackson. Can’t say that he doesn’t deserve it either it would just be nice for our guys to get the National press once in a while.

Complete bs if he is ahead of Wilson. He has a complete team around him with coaching that created an offense designed around his skillsets.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
cymatica":1nuoqkol said:
brimsalabim":1nuoqkol said:
FWIW This morning on ESPN they are touting Lamar Jackson. Can’t say that he doesn’t deserve it either it would just be nice for our guys to get the National press once in a while.

Complete bs if he is ahead of Wilson. He has a complete team around him with coaching that created an offense designed around his skillsets.

I disagree. Lamar Jackson is by far the best running back in the league. That gets him in the conversation for MVP which has always been a top QB/RB award.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson sure torched our D. And the Ravens *crushed* the Patriots last night. Our game with them was 1 point closer than the Patriots got. Jackson should be IN the conversation.

That said, Wilson is playing better than any other QB in the league that I've seen much of. Deshaun Watson is having a good year so far.

IMO, Wilson is clearly a better QB under Schotty's tutelage than he was under Bevell. He takes fewer 20 yard sacks, among other things. He's just better in a bunch of little ways that add up to a noticeable difference.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying Wilson's the MVP, and he's certainly playing like one............but there's only been ONE MVP winner over the past decade or so that's won the MVP and wasn't on a conference winning team, and that's in 2012 with AP, and he won because he broke the 2,000 yards rushed mark and came within like 30 yards of breaking the all time rushing mark.

So yeah Russell deserves all the MVP love, but it's going to be hard for him to win unless we overtake the Niners and win the NFC West, and if we don't it means Russell probably has a couple down games over the next seven weeks.

aawolf

Reaction score
I think for the MVP conversation, Wilson should be the clear number one, followed by McCaffrey, followed by Lamar Jackson. It hasn't really been mentioned, but McCaffrey has been putting up Jim Brown numbers with six games going over 150 yards. It is really impressive and historic what he's been able to do with the Panthers and I'm not sure why he's not in the conversation here. That being said, Wilson is also on pace for a historic year and I think he's leading right now.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3biufxmp said:
Everyone keeps saying Wilson's the MVP, and he's certainly playing like one............but there's only been ONE MVP winner over the past decade or so that's won the MVP and wasn't on a conference winning team, and that's in 2012 with AP, and he won because he broke the 2,000 yards rushed mark and came within like 30 yards of breaking the all time rushing mark.

So yeah Russell deserves all the MVP love, but it's going to be hard for him to win unless we overtake the Niners and win the NFC West, and if we don't it means Russell probably has a couple down games over the next seven weeks.

Thing about this year is that the conference leading teams are doing it with defense this year (SF, NE, NO). So its unlikely they'll put forward an MVP player from the QB/RB pool that this award always draws from.

We'll have to make the playoffs for sure for Russ to have a chance but we may not need to be a 1 or 2 seed. NO and SF are front runners for those seeds and with Brees and Kamara injuries, NO won't put forward an MVP person. SF is RB by committee and Jimmy G is pedestrian. Over on the AFC side, Mahomes is probably out of contention because of injury. Brady has not been fabulous. Jackson is clearly the AFC front runner for MVP and its not really close right now. Best RB in the league.

So the NFC candidates for MVP really come down to Rodgers, Wilson, McCaffery. Whichever has the better November will likely win it (since voting is in December I believe).

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nobody is close, even if it appears that way to some.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1xx04yau said:
Sgt. Largent":1xx04yau said:

Thing about this year is that the conference leading teams are doing it with defense this year (SF, NE, NO). So its unlikely they'll put forward an MVP player from the QB/RB pool that this award always draws from.

We'll have to make the playoffs for sure for Russ to have a chance but we may not need to be a 1 or 2 seed. NO and SF are front runners for those seeds and with Brees and Kamara injuries, NO won't put forward an MVP person. SF is RB by committee and Jimmy G is pedestrian. Over on the AFC side, Mahomes is probably out of contention because of injury. Brady has not been fabulous. Jackson is clearly the AFC front runner for MVP and its not really close right now. Best RB in the league.

So the NFC candidates for MVP really come down to Rodgers, Wilson, McCaffery. Whichever has the better November will likely win it (since voting is in December I believe).

We shall see, and maybe the voters will agree with you. I'm just laying it out there that recent history shows all the MVP's have won their division AND played insanely well.

So if the voting comes down to Rodgers and Wilson and the Packers are 13-3 or 12-4 and won their division and we finish 11-5 and come in 2nd in the West? Eh, probably not going to happen because stats will be very close, or even favor Rodgers.

Rat

Reaction score
The Jackson hype might get a bit nauseating this week, but to be fair, it was a nationally televised game where they beat the 3-time reigning AFC champs, who had been looking unbeatable. A lot of QBs would get crazy hype for that.

I still think right now, it's Russ, McCaffrey, and then Jackson. Rodgers is a decent ways back for 4th, but a few good weeks could get him right back into the thick of it. Garoppolo might be making a bit of a jump now too.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Scorpion05":q41au1hn said:
Hawkpower":q41au1hn said:
Hockey Guy":q41au1hn said:
hawkfannj":q41au1hn said:
I’ve been very critical of him in past years but this year he has transformed before my eyes . There is nobody close to him in talking about MVP

Nothing has transformed. You were just wrong. :D

To be fair, Wilson absolutely has improved.

Gone (seemingly) are the days where he would be awful for a half and then suddenly click and light it up. Now he just lights it up from the get go!!

I think we all saw this season as his potential, and it’s a beautiful thing to see it come to fruition. He’s fantastic.

Yea, let’s not be stubborn here.

People have been arguing that the reason for the slow starts before was part Pete ball, and part Bevell. The worst thing some of you could do at this point is to lack the humility to admit wrong. It was never a Wilson thing. Yes he has improved but he’s not suddenly a different QB

I don't know what the original guy's mindset was when he used the word transformed, maybe he really does think hes suddenly a different QB but thats not how I read it. Transformed to me could also just mean he has taken huge strides, which he has. Regardless of the "why" Russ was not this effective in his first few seasons. He just wasnt. You can blame others (coaches. o-line, whatever) and to a point thats fair, but his results at the QB position have absolutely improved/transformed.

Just like you state its a bad thing to lack humility, I think that exists on both sides of this issue. To think that Wilson was this QB....5-7 years ago....in hiding and was ONLY held back by coaching is silly. Pete is still here. Stubborn Pete who never changes, right?

Same Pete. Killer Russ. MVP Russ.

He has improved, and there is nothing wrong with saying so. (Even with the acknowledgement that Bevell likely did him no favors :lol: :lol: :lol: )

John63

Reaction score
Evry player int he NFl can improve. Brady, Brees. Mahomes all of them including Wilson.

Has he improved....yes
Was he held back for various reasons...yes
Is the favorite for MVP....yes
Is he carrying this team...yes.

Can all of these things be true....YES

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Rat":kqbbct6j said:
The Jackson hype might get a bit nauseating this week, but to be fair, it was a nationally televised game where they beat the 3-time reigning AFC champs, who had been looking unbeatable. A lot of QBs would get crazy hype for that.

I still think right now, it's Russ, McCaffrey, and then Jackson. Rodgers is a decent ways back for 4th, but a few good weeks could get him right back into the thick of it. Garoppolo might be making a bit of a jump now too.
Yeah I think this is what makes Lamar the flavor of the week this morning. Beat the Patriots on a Sunday night game and people pay attention. Russ has primetime games coming up and if he performs as well as he has been most of this season it'll get him over the top in my opinion. Those primetime games have all the eyeballs on them.

D

DomeHawk

Russ mentioned before the season started that he was going to have a year where he could throw for 70% completions and have a really good year.

He's the epitome of confidence and backing up his talk.

chris98251

Reaction score
Really think he want's a ring without the defense won the championship asterisk. He can do it, but we need some type of defense.

PackerNation

Reaction score
chris98251":121wbxkq said:
Really think he want's a ring without the defense won the championship asterisk. He can do it, but we need some type of defense.

He just wants a ring period. He'll take rings over any other awards because it's the biggest accomplishment you can have.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":11a449z7 said:

Maybe there are some think skinned ego driven QB's that think like this, but I don't think that's Russell.

When he won his first ring, it was his more negative teammates that beat their chests and said we won because of them. Russell's 100% positive all the time, so I honestly don't think this is a thing with Russell.

rcaido

Reaction score
You would think that having 375+yrds 5tds everyone would be saying he is MVP w/ 7-2 record...Shouldn't even be close.

All they are talking about is Lamar Jackson. Apparently he is tied w/ Wilson now.

12TD 5 INT vs 22TDs 1INT. Its really a joke.

Latest posts