Wilson to be Highest Paid QB (Speculation/Rumor)

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Reaneypark":1dqchk6i said:
Wilson has been giving the Hawks a discount for 3 years. He deserves to get PAID and I'm happy for him.

Amen. We already got a discount on Russ over his first 3 years.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
with the way the cap went up last year and is expected to rise this year that's not hard to believe. Cap goes, up, the amount the contracts are worth will go up too.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
It is all about the guaranteed dollars. Wilson will not get the largest contract for a QB, but more than likely he will receive the most guaranteed dollars for a QB.

:thirishdrinkers:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Wilson has and will earn every penny of that contract he gets. We are talking about about a guy who only knows winning. Instant QB. There will be those who talk numbers in comparison to guys like Manning and Brady, but even then the guy has put up fantastic numbers and is STILL developing. Smart, Athletic, Talented, underrated arm and solid outside the game.

We are lucky to have the guy. 4-1 in the playoffs with a road win in his rookie year. Oh yeah, Super Bowl winner.

randomation

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3vwmcp8s said:
What do you think would happen, if they decide NOT to pay Wilson more than $15millions per year?

Will he refuse to play?
Will he move to another team, that will pay him more? Which team would that be?

Let's face it, I think Wilson is perfect for the Seahawks, but I also think the Hawks are perfect for Wilson.
I want to see Wilson get paid. But I also want to see OTHER guys on the team get paid. I don't want us to see the Hawks get ride of half the team, so they can pay Wilson. This is just not good.
I'm not cheap. I want the money spent. Players build this league. And I want players to get all the money they deserve. But that money shouldn't go to a single player. The success of the hawks is a collective success, not an Individual Success.
Bobby needs to be paid decent money.
Maxwell needs to be paid decent money.
Irvin needs to be paid decent money.
etc.

Are you nuts you don't think a team like the Texans wouldn't pay RW 25 million plus a year he will likely get 20 million a year and stay in Seattle but to say that he wouldn't have really good options is absurd. Think about how good the Texans could be with an actual qb or god forbid the rams

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Let's not forget that he's still got a dirt cheap contract next year so we can extend him making the future years highest paid as of now with a big bonus up front to make up this coming year's salary. It can be structured to both make him highest paid and be cap reasonable

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
joeseahawks":20x37o2s said:
What do you think would happen, if they decide NOT to pay Wilson more than $15millions per year?

Will he refuse to play?

Let's face it, I think Wilson is perfect for the Seahawks, but I also think the Hawks are perfect for Wilson.
I want to see Wilson get paid. But I also want to see OTHER guys on the team get paid. I don't want us to see the Hawks get ride of half the team, so they can pay Wilson. This is just not good.
I'm not cheap. I want the money spent. Players build this league. And I want players to get all the money they deserve. But that money shouldn't go to a single player. The success of the hawks is a collective success, not an Individual Success.
etc.

$15 million won't even buy you an Andy Dalton. Take a look at these deals and tell me Wilson deserves to be one of the lowest paid QBs in the league.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

kf3339

Reaction score
kidhawk":2s4fnbja said:
Heard a report on the NFL Network by Ian Rappaport that the Seahawks will make Wilson the highest paid quarterback in the NFL this off season

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456017/article/seahawks-to-make-russell-wilson-highestpaid-qb[/urltargetblank]

That is just ridiculous. I like Wilson and believe he is getting better. But he is not even close to the best QB in this league and certainly shouldn't be paid like one at this point in his career.

Some reporters just need to keep some perspective.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
That weasely little turd of a wanna bee reporter floats a game day rumor almost every week in an attempt to stir up more locker room animosity between the players. He has given up on the beast mode angle and has returned to working on Wilson.

jkitsune

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1tlzm882 said:

Will he refuse to play?

etc.

I think you're a) overestimating the impact of signing Russell to a top contract on the remainder of the team, and b) overestimating the need to sign EVERYONE.

We're not going to get to keep every good player. We just won't. Lynch will leave eventually. We probably won't be able to extend both Wagner and Irvin to really long contracts. We probably won't be able to extend Maxwell.

That said, when you have a core group of players that includes Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman, Wagner, Wright, Bennett, Irvin, Wilson, and Baldwin, that provides a lot of room to build between and around them with rookies and other free agents. Those players listed, with the possible exception of Baldwin, are effective enough that they make every other player's job easier.

No good team gets to keep all of its good players. You have to pick and choose the ones you think are most important to making your team click. I disagree strongly with the idea that Wilson isn't one of those players. I disagree that Lynch isn't, either, but the reality of the league is that Wilson is going to have more longevity in the NFL than Lynch, so if you have to choose to try to replace one, I think you choose to replace the 28-year-old RB. That said, I hope they find a way to keep Lynch for a year or two longer.

Meeker

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2oxljxvo said:

Will he refuse to play?

I can think of 3 other teams in our own division that wouldnt mind paying him.

jdblack

Reaction score
kf3339":35asrcbv said:
kidhawk":35asrcbv said:
Heard a report on the NFL Network by Ian Rappaport that the Seahawks will make Wilson the highest paid quarterback in the NFL this off season

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456017/article/seahawks-to-make-russell-wilson-highestpaid-qb[/urltargetblank]

That is just ridiculous. I like Wilson and believe he is getting better. But he is not even close to the best QB in this league and certainly shouldn't be paid like one at this point in his career.

Some reporters just need to keep some perspective.

You don't need to be the best QB in the league to get the most $/year at the moment you sign your contract. Projected cap increases plays a huge part in the financial calculations needed to figure out a fair $ amount per year.

davidonmi

Reaction score
He's not always this good obviously.
But his performance today would certainly validate him getting that kind of money

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle has consistently paid top dollar, sometimes even a little more than top dollar, to retain their guys. Red, Unger, Kam, Sherm, Earl, Wright, all of them got money that was equal to or higher than expected.

If anyone thought Wilson would take less, they weren't paying attention to this FO's history. JS can be a bit cutthroat sure, but when he pays guys he does not hold back.

Wilson will take a short deal so that he can enter FA again sooner. The best way to make money is to hit FA again quickly since the cap is rising so much every year. As a player you don't want to locked into 2015 salary levels in 2022. I would expect Wilson to take a very similar deal to Aaron Rodgers, except adjusted for recent league inflation. Probably something like 4/100 or maybe 5/115.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I not saying that he doesn't deserve it. I just don't believe Rappaport. He floated game day biscuits about Lynch in the past too.

Seafan

Reaction score
I could see giving RW a 10 year $250M contract. That would do it. You could guarantee about $80M and not hurt the team or the cap. You could give him a bonus up front and still keep the first couple seasons cap friendly. Lynch will not have to be a casualty. If Lynch is not here next season it won't be the contract.