Wilson to be Highest Paid QB (Speculation/Rumor)

kearly

Reaction score
Ten years from now, $25 million will feel like $15 million in today's cap dollars, maybe less. If Wilson is smart he'll take a short deal like Rodgers to avoid locking himself into bargain prices down the road.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He'll have won us 2 Super Bowls in a few weeks time, give him all the monies.

byau

Reaction score
He's worth it.

Not to mention he's only highest paid until the next big guy gets paid.. how long was Sherman the highest paid CB?

A lot of it is about respect and appreciation.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Does anyone do 10 year contracts these days? I'm thinking along the same lines as Kearly; Russ won't lock in for more than 6 years, IMO.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Didn't know where to put this stat and didn't want to make another thread...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/554156728837607424[/tweet]

Russell's progress of late is pretty exciting. He just seems to be so tuned in to everything going on around him. He's leading receivers, diagnosing plays at the line, taking advantage of favourable matchups, demolishing blitzes. He's showing us his best on a more consistent basis.

There's not another QB I'd rather have, he's just found another level. It's scary to think what he could do with a legitimate go-to redzone threat over the course of a season, I think there'd be some records for the taking.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
davidonmi":2yy4kwac said:
He's not always this good obviously.
But his performance today would certainly validate him getting that kind of money

Yes.....'obviously.' Funny what happens when Unger gets plugged into a line that at least has some semblance of continuity this year. But, yeah, it's just Russell who is 'obviously' not always this good.

Rob12

Reaction score
HawkMeat":302uw6hh said:
Seafan":302uw6hh said:
Unnecessary.
Agreed.

I firmly believe he should get a huge contract, but is it unnecessary to pay him more than Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Flacco?
I love Wilson, period, but I love the Hawks more. I know I'm not alone with the fear overpaying key players. He deserves whatever he gets, and I am probably already grieving players like Maxwell once deals like this happen. I get sentimental and want to keep all of the band together. I live in a 4:20 dream.

Russ deserves to be the highest paid QB. He's done nothing but win while putting up very, very good numbers. He's been grossly underpaid during his time here. He's a Super Bowl Champion and has helped this franchise make money hand over fist. He does amazing work in the community. He's the face of the franchise.

I trust that the two sides will come together and make it work well for all parties involved. We did not get to this point by having inept people making the decisions.

As far as Maxwell, we're too good. We are literally too damn good and we have players that most other teams want. Byron is a fantastic No. 2 corner that has likely played himself out of contract here. Dude is getting paid No. 1 corner by someone. I hope he stays a Hawk, but this is the result of having a historically elite defense.

Back to Russ. What it comes down to for me is a very real ill feeling I have when I think of another player quarterbacking this team.

Pay the man top money. Again, I truly he deserves every penny of it.

Rob12

Reaction score
kf3339":21v06sw2 said:
kidhawk":21v06sw2 said:
Heard a report on the NFL Network by Ian Rappaport that the Seahawks will make Wilson the highest paid quarterback in the NFL this off season

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456017/article/seahawks-to-make-russell-wilson-highestpaid-qb[/urltargetblank]

That is just ridiculous. I like Wilson and believe he is getting better. But he is not even close to the best QB in this league and certainly shouldn't be paid like one at this point in his career.

Some reporters just need to keep some perspective.

Not even close? Yes, he is.

How do you HONESTLY think Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, and Brees would perform in Seattle's offense with this personnel?

This is not an indictment on their talent now, but look at his weapons on offense. Look at where and how they were acquired. Specifically, pay special attention to the receivers and tight ends. Then, look at the fact that they brought Tom Cable here to implement the most smash mouth run game in the league, and how overall, pass protection has suffered because of it. I'm not bashing our offensive line - they're GREAT at what they're expected to do - but it's not a good pass protecting line. Look at what Russ has been able to do with that. He does more with less, and he puts up wins and shiny numbers while doing it.

He's on the cusp of being an elite passing quarterback, but right now he is perfect for the Seahawks. Absolutely perfect for what this team does. There's not another QB I'd rather have.

Imagine Russ with a true No. 1 wide out. It would be insane.

Deserves every penny. Send him to the top of the QB money making list because he absolutely deserves it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It's not that I don't think he deserves it because I do. I just don't want to do this at the expense of losing others. Can we keep the LOB together largely by working the draft for the step up corner? Can we keep both all world safety's ? On offense we still lack a few pieces too don't forget. I don't expect him to continue to work as the leagues lowest paid full time starter either but it would be great to find a happy medium.

And true or not I still think the timing of this was meant to cause strife between our players on game day. Once again on game day Rapport supposedly has inside information that wor affect Lynch and possibly other players futures with this team. There has to be a reason these story's always "leak" out before big games.