Wilson...what have you done for me lately?

hawk45

Reaction score
Pe, be fair, neither side has or can have much evidence. You're invested in the PC/JS use the media as motivation story, which I think is possible but not at all obvious or proven. Positive Seahawk coverage could just be because Pete and John keep stuff locked down and have seemed to do everything right in 3 years, this year with Percy have shown some cracks. It is every bit as plausible that Florio/Silver are just writing pretty obvious things in a way designed to stir controversy.

Florio is totally a volume guy he's not fact-checker supreme, and unless we know his source (if he has one) this could totally be of that nature.

I mean come on in terms of sniff test, Florio making crap up passes muster as well or better than Pete/John with the Machiavellian scheme. Painting everyone who disagrees as emotionally driven tinfoil hat wearers is so not your style especially with a thing like this that we'll never know the truth of until the tell-all book is released.

pehawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":hasmpzmj said:
The Seahawks PR machine is a black hole. Nothing escapes unless they want it to. The Harvin trade and locker room shenanigans were a total shock. A hands-on organization like the Seahawks would not want to use the media for motivation; they have no control over what happens to the information once it leaves the VMAC.

And nothing about the Seahawks' SOP thus far suggests they use the media to motivate its players. They take a far more direct and people-skills approach.

Also, when did Wilson lack for motivation?

None of this fits with the philosophy of the team. This is Florio talking out his ass, taking advantage of the Seahawks' win to get clicks with an against-the-grain blurb. Typical mediot move.

Really? Hmm. The Wally Pipp comment this TC wasn't them motivating through the media? Sure seemed like it to me. Same thing with Irvin coming back from his surgery...Pete kept putting it out there that Bruce may not have a job when he gets back. There's quite a few of those examples, actually.

pehawk

Reaction score
So, just to be clear, you're saying Florio just made this up? It's 100% him making something up?

Yeah, sorry, no offense but I don't believe he'd do that. I appreciate PFT for what it is mostly, but I'm not going to work under the assumption he just made up something. Especially make up something with an org that his given him GEMS (Minny treated Tjack like isht being one example) and he has a good working relationship with. He just made something up and risked future leads on stories?

Seems legit.

hawk45

Reaction score
Florio can and has taken the smallest things/comments and piled on speculation and his own assumptions and posted it all as a story.

We don't and won't know his source, we don't know what if anything was actually said, getting from there to Pete and John are doing it to motivate is as much (I say more) of a leap as assuming he's using nothing or very little to get hits.

pehawk

Reaction score
I also view this as a harmless negotiating/motivating thing. I'm not sure why people refuse to see it for what it is, instead its a story created out of thin air that's devious.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2hsub82h said:
So, just to be clear you're saying Florio just made this up? It's 100% him making something up?

Yeah, sorry, no offense but I don't believe he'd do that. I appreciate PFT for what it is mostly, but I'm not going to work under the assumption he just made up something. Especially make up something with an org that his given him GEMS (Minny treated Tjack like isht being one example) and he has a good working relationship with. He just made something up and risked future leads on stories.

Seems legit.
I'm not saying that.
I'm saying that since Seattle can't legally negotiate with Russell until the 2015 business year begins, it is a story about nothing. 4 more games and possibly playoffs will have an impact on negotiations.

If, and this is a big if, it was a Seahawks source, all that was actually intended was they would rather not give top of the line QB money if they aren't getting Tom Brady results in the games that really matter. Anybody who infers they don't want to keep him at all is nuts. They love this dude, just listen to Pete gushing about how he does things nobody else can do just this morning. He is such an extension of Pete's philopsophy and zen that it is almost impossible they not negotiate a deal when the 2015 year begins.

The above is why I have been guessing a bit lower on his total money than some others.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":p3pdlvzn said:
I also view this as a harmless negotiating/motivating thing. I'm not sure why people refuse to see it for what it is, instead its a story created out of thin air that's devious.
Which I just said too. with the wussy IF caveat.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1vnlm2ng said:
Dude all I said is you buying tells me something, I nee said what that was. Maybe you buying puts more credence to it, maybe you buying puts less. You should ask first. As an FYI you buying it told me something is up, the question is what? I am thinking this is a lot of guessing on the part of the person who wrote it, and given all the stuff that came out that we still do not know if true or not, it lends itself to being questioned. Again I do not buy it everyone I know connected to the hawks has said they are planning on extending him asap, so I think the writer is guessing or just stirring up trouble that is not real.

Whoa! You have insider info with the Seahawks? Cool!

mikeak

Reaction score
RW is playing for peanuts.

You can argue if he is worth $14M / $16M / $20M or whatever per year but you cannot argue that he should get paid as little as he does.

So to make him play out the last year after having won a Super Bowl is insulting AND bad business. He will go from willing to work with the team to pissed off.

You don't make him take the risk of career ending injury without guaranteed big money in the bank account. The team must offer something decent. Sure they don't have to go to $20M but they need to be in the $16M extension contract range with $30M+ guaranteed.

It will not be a good long term decision otherwise. They did it with Sherman they will do it with RW

pehawk

Reaction score
hawk45":1elsnsev said:
Florio can and has taken the smallest things/comments and piled on speculation and his own assumptions and posted it all as a story.

We don't and won't know his source, we don't know what if anything was actually said, getting from there to Pete and John are doing it to motivate is as much (I say more) of a leap as assuming he's using nothing or very little to get hits.

One thing I agree with Montana on is the Seahawks don't let information out unless they want it to be out. So, under that assumption, why would the info get out at all then?

I think the assumption that Florio would make something up regarding an organization which he's worked with before, is unbelievable and rube-ish. And while I know what PFT's reputation is, I've honestly never seen examples of their unjournalistic methods. What I can say, because I was blogging and connected with some bloggers then, a lot of PFT's criticisms stemmed from petty jealousies from other bloggers. This whole reputation stemmed from their emergence between 2004-2006. From there that reputation took hold and it became a reality that wasn't real.

PFT has always been just a clever re-representation and consolidation of beat writers works. As it grew they gathered legit sources and status.

It's a harmless motivational and negotiation ploy, that's it. Only in the "12's" community could it turn into a plot to undermine the Seahawks and eventually eat our young. And, I tend not to just believe things because everyone else does (ie PFT's rep).

Ozzy

Reaction score
Pehawk I usually agree with yout but there is zero chance that they leaked this internally to motivate Wilson. Zero chance. This story is ridiculous. Seahawks don't have time to conjur up motivational ploys for next year, Pete is to busy trying to win each game in order to make the playoffs.

To answer your original question it didn't get leaked out, at least by anyone in the know.

hawk45

Reaction score
Forget making stuff up, Florio exaggerates and sensationalizes, every day. All of a sudden though, this widely-held opinion of him is the result of a conspiracy against our full-of-integrity journalist and has nothing to do with his own work, and in fact anyone who might question him is rube-ish.

Also, Pete commenting directly to reporters and perhaps intending to motivate is eons away from using the media when trying to negotiate a contract. The latter poisons the well. The Pete-and-JS-as-Belichick idea is just not one I see. For one thing, we sign/pay our stars, we do it early.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Why is it that we Hawks fans cannot spend one day "bathing in the joy of a great win"? Instead, some immediately search the "dark side" for any indication of a "chink in our armor"? Simply amazing!

pehawk

Reaction score
hawk45":1zegvad4 said:
Forget making stuff up, Florio exaggerates and sensationalizes, every day. All of a sudden though, this widely-held opinion of him is the result of a conspiracy against our full-of-integrity journalist and has nothing to do with his own work, and in fact anyone who might question him is rube-ish.

Also, Pete commenting directly to reporters and perhaps intending to motivate is eons away from using the media when trying to negotiate a contract. The latter poisons the well. The Pete-and-JS-as-Belichick idea is just not one I see. For one thing, we sign/pay our stars, we do it early.

Again, I was connected to a few bloggers when this reputation took hold. I can tell you it WAS jealousy then, locally.

Any examples of PFT's exaggerations of comments and/or statements?

HawkWow

Reaction score
pehawk":3e28euuf said:
Scottemojo":3e28euuf said:
Fact: The source for the story is not a Seahawk front office guy. The source is Mike Florio. I'm not kidding. It's like the New York Post using the National Enquirer as a story source.

You would learn more from the comments at PFT than you will from this non story.

Hmm, I disagree. PFT first reported the story, but, PFT has been reliable with this regime. Remember my nonsense last week saying the Seahawks use NFL insider types to their advantage? Welp, I think that's what this is.

I see nothing wrong with the story, it makes sense. This has been Wilson's worst year as a pro, IMO. Even throwing Percy out of the mix, he's just been off, a lot.

I both like and appreciate this report.

My thoughts exactly, Pe. There is little downside in us NOT extending Wilson. IF Wilson's people will be seeking 20 mil per, I don't predict a bevy of teams getting in that line. We all love Wilson, we all want him back, but his success with this team doesn't ascertain equaled success with just any team.

Worst case is actually best case. Say Wilson refocuses his entirety on fine tuning his craft this off season, comes in next year and just lights it up. Obviously that improvement will translate to wins and we will be quick to open the wallet and reward him handily. Sure we run the risk of a bidding war, but I doubt the number will exceed what we would be paying him with an extension, anyway.

And then there is also the possibility the FO has every intention of getting him extended, but leaking such stuff as part of the chess match. Nobody has been more critical (here) of the FO than myself. I would applaud this tactic, appreciating we are operating within a window. NOT extending the cuddly one will likely get more production from him next year than extending him would. That could translate to another championship for us and there should be no higher priority than that, imo. .

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for an example of PFT's leniency with facts. I'm not saying they're a gold standard for journalism, but, I've never seen examples of their exaggeration of facts (at least anymore than 99.99% of the rest of the media). I do know that the fact they rose to legitimacy, gaining fairly standard press relations and credentials, really rubbed a lot of our local Seahawks guys the wrongs way. I saw ALOT of jealousy.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":3g4l9axc said:
I'm still waiting for an example of PFT's leniency with facts. I'm not saying they're a gold standard for journalism, but, I've never seen examples of their exaggeration of facts (at least anymore than 99.99% of the rest of the media). I do know that the fact they rose to legitimacy, gaining fairly standard press relations and credentials, really rubbed a lot of our local Seahawks guys the wrongs way. I saw ALOT of jealousy.

Florio broke the story about Cleveland offering picks for Harbaugh and it's widely regarded to be a ridiculously false one.

Of course, I can't prove it. :roll:

pehawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1blxx1dc said:
pehawk":1blxx1dc said:

Florio broke the story about Cleveland offering picks for Harbaugh and it's widely regarded to be a ridiculously false one.

I bought that one. I mean it later came out that the FO doesn't like Harbaugh, right?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1xpfr3m2 said:
SomersetHawk":1xpfr3m2 said:
pehawk":1xpfr3m2 said:

I bought that one. I mean it later came out that the FO doesn't like Harbaugh, right?

Me too. I still do sort of buy it, but I think initial reports suggested it was a whole load of 1st and 2nd round picks over multiple years and I wonder why they didn't pull the trigger.

More recently it's been suggested they offered far less than that, I don't know why their info would change.

Latest posts