Wilson's touchdown pass to Rice

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I've watched that pass over and over and I'm still amazed. He threw a perfect strike 45 yards down field off his back foot moving backwards and to his right. That was all arm. I knew he had a better arm than most fans (outside of Seattle) think, but that throw reminded me of Elway. I've heard several commentators say that Wilson reminds them of the great Fran Tarkenton and for the most part I agree. But on his best day Tarkenton couldn't have made that throw.

hawk45

Reaction score
Moving forward? No. Moving towards the sidelines and a bit backwards at the same time.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":tiyqnqps said:
It was about 35 yards and he was moving forward. He does have an above average arm though.

You must be talking about a different play. Wilson threw that pass from around the 43 yard line well into the end zone on the fly and he was on his back foot and his momentum was NOT going forward. He was moving backwards and sideways.

-seanhawk-

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":4b1lskgy said:
It was about 35 yards and he was moving forward. He does have an above average arm though.
wat?
wilson-rice.gif

The Radish

Reaction score
No matter how/where he was standing he hit Rice in stride. If a defender had been there he would have had a hard time stopping that throw.

Sorry but we're going to have to give Rice the money. What a job he did keeping alive for his QB.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Lordy. He wasn't just on his back foot, he was moving backwards. That's an amazing arm.

And to think some of you wanted Matt Flynn.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
That was like an NBA player stepping back to create space to get off a deep three with a player in his grill. And the way Rice hardly set up before spinning and going deep instead of to the sideline or coming back towards the QB gives me the feel that that passroute was planned/pre-determined. Cuz R ice was open initially and he didn't even wait in expectation of the pass.

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't know if we have to give Rice the money but to me he's providing evidence that it was the knee more than anything holding him back. That game he was getting open and making great grabs, like he has done in the past. He played the part of a legit #1 WR, making the most out of every opportunity. Wonder if there's any chance we can get him at even a slightly reduced rate.

For the times we've wondered how well Wilson sees the field, how in the heck he kept his eyes THAT far downfield being chased sideways and backwards is beyond me. Felt Wilson was seeing the open guy all night long, not sure if guys were just getting open more because we were calling quicker routes (esp in the 1st 2 drives) or what the deal was, but separation was there, and was seen by Wilson whether outside or inside the hashes.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
bsuhawk":tk6o4d3o said:
CurryStopstheRuns":tk6o4d3o said:

You must be talking about a different play. Wilson threw that pass from around the 43 yard line well into the end zone on the fly and he was on his back foot and his momentum was NOT going forward. He was moving backwards and sideways.

Yeah, not sure what play I was thinking about.

The Radish

Reaction score
hawk45":1hus8dm1 said:
I don't know if we have to give Rice the money but to me he's providing evidence that it was the knee more than anything holding him back. That game he was getting open and making great grabs, like he has done in the past. He played the part of a legit #1 WR, making the most out of every opportunity. Wonder if there's any chance we can get him at even a slightly reduced rate.

For the times we've wondered how well Wilson sees the field, how in the heck he kept his eyes THAT far downfield being chased sideways and backwards is beyond me. Felt Wilson was seeing the open guy all night long, not sure if guys were just getting open more because we were calling quicker routes (esp in the 1st 2 drives) or what the deal was, but separation was there, and was seen by Wilson whether outside or inside the hashes.

In Rice's case he already has a contract that pays him a lot next year. That's the reason so many are thinking we need to cut him so we don't have to pay that. I don't remember the figures but as I remember its maybe double digits. He would have to redo his contract and get an ok from the league for us to get any reduction.

Sadly now that he's had the knee thing done he seems to be getting well again and showing he's worth that #1 money. I'm just hoping the office already has plans to deal with these possible money troubles.

Its really irritating that the office doesn't trust we "smart" fans with current information about what they are doing to keep this team together. I mean do they think we might tell?

:sarcasm_off:

Starrman44

Reaction score
It looks to be about 43.5/44 yardline and a couple yards deep into the endzon AND moving back to be exact. OP nailed it. Good job. Thanks for pointing it out. I new it was a great throw, but I'm glad you pointed out the details.

I loved that throw and the TD to Miller.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":30gav13m said:
Lordy. He wasn't just on his back foot, he was moving backwards. That's an amazing arm.

And to think some of you wanted Matt Flynn.

Yep. I fell in love with that arm strength when I saw him play his first preseason game last year. It was immediately apparent to me that we had something in Wilson which simply was not there with Flynn. By game three of preseason I had seen all I needed to see. His legs add a completely new dimension to the way the game is played by the QB.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
bestfightstory":h3kgzwfo said:
That was like an NBA player stepping back to create space to get off a deep three with a player in his grill. And the way Rice hardly set up before spinning and going deep instead of to the sideline or coming back towards the QB gives me the feel that that passroute was planned/pre-determined. Cuz R ice was open initially and he didn't even wait in expectation of the pass.

Sorry to do this but I want to quote this and emphasize it rather than start a new thread which would only be laborious and unneccessary and eventually likely merged with this one.

The more I review that play the more certain I am that it was designed. Rice turning and running at a sprint for the endzone in that situation is counterintuitive given that the defender was behind him and Wilson with several players in hot pursuit appears to dismiss other shorter targets to maintain a commitment to throwing deep to Rice.

hawk45

Reaction score
The Radish":3lsf25vx said:
hawk45":3lsf25vx said:

In Rice's case he already has a contract that pays him a lot next year. That's the reason so many are thinking we need to cut him so we don't have to pay that. I don't remember the figures but as I remember its maybe double digits. He would have to redo his contract and get an ok from the league for us to get any reduction.

Sadly now that he's had the knee thing done he seems to be getting well again and showing he's worth that #1 money. I'm just hoping the office already has plans to deal with these possible money troubles.

Its really irritating that the office doesn't trust we "smart" fans with current information about what they are doing to keep this team together. I mean do they think we might tell?

:sarcasm_off:

It's going to be really interesting to me to see how the split goes when Harvin gets in there. I have to believe there will be a bit of emphasis on getting Harvin the ball; even though our offense is at its beast when spreading it around, you just...you gotta get the ball in Harvin's hands don't you? Quick-outs, screens, have him sprint off the line and then just sit down in the zone?

If that happens and we see even less targets for Rice (geez that'd be tough to accomplish), I'll be conflicted. A situation where your #1 is playing #1 ball, but your offense doesn't rely on having that #1 be a clear cut fave target. Do you put 10mil or whatever in that bucket?

To me in that case it comes down to what Rice's impact is when he's NOT getting the ball. That is, does he draw double-coverage enough, does he cause safeties to cheat enough, in a way that we would totally miss with a different guy (Kearse? Draft pick?) out there.

Just know if he keeps doing what he does with his limited opportunities we're going to really really hate it if we don't have him back.

A

Anonymous

Pass? That wasn't a pass, he just "flipped" the ball.

If Russell was to have actually threw a pass, Sid would have had to remove the burnt glove from his hands after the catch.

:mrgreen:

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
bsuhawk":1rn83nde said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1rn83nde said:

Yeah, not sure what play I was thinking about.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
hawk45":2fz78xuj said:
Just know if he keeps doing what he does with his limited opportunities we're going to really really hate it if we don't have him back.

Judging from the posts in this Forum, the vast majority of our our fanbase A) has decided Rice is a bum and/or B) Doesn't want him back next year for $ reasons.

Latest posts