Wisniewski visiting Seattle

cacksman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1e8ru2dh said:
TheRealDTM":1e8ru2dh said:
Is it possible we're dragging our feet while the unger physical is pending?

No, my guess is Wisniewski and his agent have a number in mind, and if he continues to visit teams that means Pete and John didn't want to pay that number. That's how it normally works. If we matched his number, he'd sign.

Usually? We don't usually trade away a player that takes a week to get to his new team to pass a physical.

I would bet money that Unger passing his physical and making the trade official, otherwise they would have 2 starting centers on the roster and a whole lot of salary devoted to it. Think about it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I just took this paragraph from the Everett Herald:

"At center, the replacement could be former Raiders starter Stefen Wisniewski, who visited the Seahawks, and with whom, according to coach Pete Carroll, there is mutual interest. Wisniewski wouldn't come cheap — he reportedly turned down $6 million per season from the Raiders — but he would provide a legitimate starter to help stabilize the line, and he's young enough, turning 26 later this month, to be a long-term solution there, not just a one-year replacement."

Interesting. It explains a lot...if the Raiders really did offer him 6 mil/year and Wis turned it down, that could be why he's hitting multiple teams. He might've realized that was a mistake, and he's trying to recoup that 6 mil/year (or maybe I should say, his agent probably screwed that up by being greedy and thinking there was more out there in FA). That offer isn't even on the table anymore from the Raiders. so that would probably motivate him trying to recoup that even more.

It might also explain why the Raiders paid so much for the KC guy. They didn't get their guy at 6, and a better guy comes along...heck, let's give him 8 !

This is why I love our FO so much. They always have a long term plan. Sure, the Raider have a ton of cap space, but 8 mil/year for a Center isn't going to be a favorable long term contract. Then again, it's looking like the Raiders can only really attact FA's that are getting older and looking for that last big contract. The younger talent that wants to win isn't going there.

Hyak

Reaction score
The real issue here is whether Wisniewski is worth adding as a long-term piece at the expense of either Sweezy or Okung. My personal opinion is no.

If they had plans to move Unger via trade or cut because of his salary, it really doesn't make sense to turn around and spend the same money on a player that everyone seems to think is a lesser player than Unger.

I suspect they kicked the tires and did their due diligence but I don't see him coming here for $ 6 M/year.

Northhawk

Reaction score
This brings back memories of the Dielman drama from 2007. I remember a lost weekend waiting for Dielman to make up his mind only to re-sign with the Chargers. In the end, it was good thing as his production never was quite the same as it was in 2006/07.

The difference this time around is that Wisniewski is not at the same level Dielman was when we were pursuing him. And Dielman had teams willing to throw money at him. Doesn't seem like anyone including the Raiders are willing to do that with Wisniewski. This makes me think Wisniewski has hit his ceiling and what we've seen is what we'd get: a good, not great, center.

All to say, good on JS and Pete for sticking to their price and not over spending on a player who has yet to make it to the next level.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I haven't hear that he has left town yet , so talks must be still happening.

Laloosh

Reaction score
jammerhawk":15log6ot said:
I haven't hear that he has left town yet , so talks must be still happening.

Think I heard that he was going to go on other visits in some audio from Pete. Can't look for it right now, but that's how I remember it.

Hyak

Reaction score
I believe PC said he visited VMAC on Thursday and the STL beat writer seemed to indicate that he was home for the weekend. PC also seemed to indicate it would be a while as Wisniewski was going to visit other teams - translation he won't be signing here unless his price drops.

Sac

Reaction score
JTB":27u78w4o said:
The real issue here is whether Wisniewski is worth adding as a long-term piece at the expense of either Sweezy or Okung. My personal opinion is no.

If they had plans to move Unger via trade or cut because of his salary, it really doesn't make sense to turn around and spend the same money on a player that everyone seems to think is a lesser player than Unger.

I suspect they kicked the tires and did their due diligence but I don't see him coming here for $ 6 M/year.

I'd sign Wis at the long term expense of Okung. Okung is older, more expensive, injury prone and he's turned into a false start machine.

Hyak

Reaction score
I think they have to allocate big money for the LT position, whether it's Okung or a replacement. A good LT is worth their weight in gold. The other line positions are much easier to find.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
JTB":325h7t2g said:
I think they have to allocate big money for the LT position, whether it's Okung or a replacement. A good LT is worth their weight in gold. The other line positions are much easier to find.
That is correct on all counts and regardless of Okung's imperfections he is a much better then average LT.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
They would also lose out on a comp draft pick if they signed him. Gotta weigh out the options.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well some guys need time, he is going into full man mode now physically, healthy he may get more solid, he always seemed kinda lanky to me for a LT if he fills out as men tend to do going into their 30's he may be able to shrug off the nics more and use his experience.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1nrvzd9n said:
JTB":1nrvzd9n said:

I'd sign Wis at the long term expense of Okung. Okung is older, more expensive, injury prone and he's turned into a false start machine.

I don't see it as signing Wis vs. signing Okung. Don't think Wisniewski can play LT.
I hope they re-sign Okung. And draft more depth. Okung has been snakebit; case in point: the pectoral muscle tear on a Trent Cole cheap shot; a freak occurrence. I think Okung is ready to go a couple seasons with minimal injury problems. Most of Okung's false starts were injury-related. Count me as an official member of the Russell Okung fan club.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawks46":7pme91og said:
I just took this paragraph from the Everett Herald:

"At center, the replacement could be former Raiders starter Stefen Wisniewski, who visited the Seahawks, and with whom, according to coach Pete Carroll, there is mutual interest. Wisniewski wouldn't come cheap — he reportedly turned down $6 million per season from the Raiders — but he would provide a legitimate starter to help stabilize the line, and he's young enough, turning 26 later this month, to be a long-term solution there, not just a one-year replacement."

Interesting. It explains a lot...if the Raiders really did offer him 6 mil/year and Wis turned it down, that could be why he's hitting multiple teams. He might've realized that was a mistake, and he's trying to recoup that 6 mil/year (or maybe I should say, his agent probably screwed that up by being greedy and thinking there was more out there in FA). That offer isn't even on the table anymore from the Raiders. so that would probably motivate him trying to recoup that even more.

It might also explain why the Raiders paid so much for the KC guy. They didn't get their guy at 6, and a better guy comes along...heck, let's give him 8 !

This is why I love our FO so much. They always have a long term plan. Sure, the Raider have a ton of cap space, but 8 mil/year for a Center isn't going to be a favorable long term contract. Then again, it's looking like the Raiders can only really attact FA's that are getting older and looking for that last big contract. The younger talent that wants to win isn't going there.

Or maybe... just maybe.. dude didn't want to play in Oakland.

Sac

Reaction score
JTB":3jrkbxt3 said:
A good LT is worth their weight in gold.

At $1159.3 per ounce that would make a good LT worth about...
1159.3 X 16 ounces =
18548.8 X 320 (pounds, estimate)
=$5,935,616

I'd say a good left tackle is worth considerably more.

Seafan

Reaction score
I don't foresee Wis signing here. Lewis or a cheaper vet like Meyers but it wouldn't surprise me to see them draft a center.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
It's not Schnied's style to go into the draft with needs--he wants to take bpa at all times, regardless of what the team needs. I'd be surprised if we don't get at least one fa o-line guy.

Hyak

Reaction score
Of course, it is possible that they really like their young linemen. Lewis and Bailey have both played in big games and done well. Limited sample size but potential is there. The other guy they mention was Keavon Milton, who looks to be very athletic but raw.

"The Seattle Seahawks on Saturday signed guard Keavon Milton off the team’s practice squad as the Hawks prepare to face the NFC West-leading Arizona Cardinals down two starting offensive linemen. The 6-foot-4, 324-pound Milton spent last season with the Cleveland Browns, appearing in eight games as a guard after converting him from a tight end. He played tight end in college at Louisiana-Monroe and broke into the NFL in 2013 when the New Orleans Saints signed him as an undrafted free agent."

sutz

Reaction score
I think a lot of Okung's 'false start problems' stem from his injuries. He's been trying to get that extra half step to adjsut for that a lot the last couple of years. It would be nice if he could avoid that.

kobebryant

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1rcakq6n said:
They would also lose out on a comp draft pick if they signed him. Gotta weigh out the options.

I'd imagine that it would probably wipe out the Carp comp; which feels like a 5.

The Maxwell comp looks like a guaranteed 3.