With all these picks and if Geno resigns…

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I highly doubt we get the #3 pick, but hell yeah that would be sweet. I'm guessing more in the 8-10 range, which is still damn good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The first 2-3 picks should all be D-line and LB.

All Geno playing well does is allow you to not have to reach on a rookie QB with your first couple of picks. Which is HUGE, because the hit rate is terrible on top 20 QB picks.

massari

Reaction score
The first 2-3 picks should all be D-line and LB. the hit rate is terrible on top 20 QB picks.
The hit rate after that is even worse.

If they like one of those top QBs they need to take one. Imagine passing on top draft prospects like Mahomes, Allen, Herbert ect because you have Geno Smith....

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

If they like one of those top QBs they need to take one. Imagine passing on top draft prospects like Mahomes, Allen, Herbert ect because you have Geno Smith....

I could name a dozen QB's taken in those same drafts that didn't hit. Or are still in the league and are mediocre.

So sure, if Pete and John identify a QB they're super excited about and think can be the next franchise QB? I trust their scouting and talent evaluation to say grab him if he's available.

My point is this is the best case scenario with how this season is going with Geno. Him playing at the level he's playing means you're no longer FORCED to reach on a QB because you're desperate.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Aaron Donal, 13th pick overall, so elite stud D-line can be found further down in the 1st. I remember another Aaron we took @ #4 that didn't quite work like many of us thought.

chrispy

Reaction score

Imagine passing on Mahomes, Allen, Herbert etc because you have Russel Wilson.... Oh wait...we did.

JS, I dare say, has a slightly different perspective on the QB position going forward.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Imagine passing on Mahomes, Allen, Herbert etc because you have Russel Wilson.... Oh wait...we did.

JS, I dare say, has a slightly different perspective on the QB position going forward.

Allen was picked #7 overall, and Herbert was picked #6.

So not sure why people keep thinking we "passed" on them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CBSSports has him going fourth according to the google. Who knows what will happen once the bowls roll around. A great bowl game for a couple of the QBs and they will definitely take over the top spot.

In most of the mock drafts I've seen so far, they've had him going anywhere from #1 to #5.

I'm with you, if we can grab him, he's a beast. But my guess is if Denver pulls off another 3-4 wins which they probably will, then Carter will be gone.

QWERTY

Reaction score
The biggest part of the problem with the draft picks and let's say Geno re-signs,

The first main problem is Ryan Neal. He's a FA. He's going to get paid and without him, the S position would look pretty bad. Also if you re-sign him, then that's going to be a lot of money spending in the S position.

That Adams trade was really really bad.

QWERTY

Reaction score
I'm fine with another year of skipping the QB pick, instead strengthening our D and plugging hole in our O Line. Win the trenches!
There is a PERFECT QB for us in '24 and I know exactly who that is.
Manning?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The biggest part of the problem with the draft picks and let's say Geno re-signs,

The first main problem is Ryan Neal. He's a FA. He's going to get paid and without him, the S position would look pretty bad. Also if you re-sign him, then that's going to be a lot of money spending in the S position.

That Adams trade was really really bad.

I don't think the rest of the league will be beating down the door for Neal.

He's a good safety, and has played well, but he will probably easily be resigned for another 1-2 year contract at a reasonable rate.

I mean, we don't have a choice, we're going to have to resign Neal, or a quality backup safety because the Hawks can't get off Adam's contract until 2024. Ain't no way you're going into next season counting on him to do anything, let alone stay healthy.