World Cup 2018

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2a9zk246 said:
Sgt. Largent":2a9zk246 said:
Uncle Si":2a9zk246 said:
(actually, it's Salah, but that's another story).

Liverpool, now we're talking. :229031_cheers:

Have we not discussed this?

Since 1984. They replaced the Sounders when they folded out of the old NASL

Very ex tied for them this year.

Hell yeah.

I've been a Liverpool fan since the Danny Murphy days..............I even named the girl's club I coached for 10 years The Reds.

Viewer

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Germany. Are. Out. They actually finish the group in last place. Makes the fourth time in the last five World Cups that the defending champs fail to make it out of the group stage. You have to wonder if this marks the end of Joachim Loew's 12-year run with the German National Team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3rooac2w said:
You have to wonder if this marks the end of Joachim Loew's 12-year run with the German National Team.

How can it not?

I can't think of one soccer powerhouse that hasn't fired it's manager after a monumental bed crapping like this.

I hate Mexico, so I was actually rooting for Germany to score, cause then Mexico would have had one of the greatest collapses in WC history.

Oh well, here's to watching them flame out in the knockout round like they always do.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Ouch, adios Germany.

This guy will be rooting on Croatia, Mexico and Senegal from here on out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1q4xmsb2 said:
Germany. Are. Out. They actually finish the group in last place. Makes the fourth time in the last five World Cups that the defending champs fail to make it out of the group stage. You have to wonder if this marks the end of Joachim Loew's 12-year run with the German National Team.

Hard to say...

What will be more interesting is if Germany (Spain, Argentina, even Brazil and France.. big teams who are struggling in this tournament to dominate even with their roster) change the direction of their national team moving forward.

This German squad (Spain and France are similar) were plodding, predictable and devoid of innovation. This tournament has shown me that the levels between the teams are not as far off as they used to be (global soccer is improving) and teams who are creative and pacey in their attack are being rewarded in their results.

Germany may keep Low (immediate indications are they will, or atleast let him resign) but they need a methodology change more than a new manager.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Cyrus12":y28r6w20 said:
Not the first time Germany went to Russia and couldn't get it done.......

Someone better check on Poland

sdog1981

Reaction score
Oh look the Russians made it to the round of 8. Putin's world cup is falling into place.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
sdog1981":18o9qkve said:
Oh look the Russians made it to the round of 8. Putin's world cup is falling into place.

I think Russia got away with that drag down on Sergio Ramos late in the game. The ball came in right where he would have been if the Russian defender hadn't been holding, spinning and dragging him down. Can't believe they didn't call it, though I appreciate when refs don't give PKs late in the game unless it's pretty cut and dry. Kinda torn on that one.

Huge upset, I imagine Russia was partying it UP last night.

That Croatia v. Denmark game was an interesting one. Thought it was pretty clear Mandzukic wasn't the same after taking that knock to his ankle in the first half, not sure why he got subbed out in extra time. Modric had to play back in his own half far too much, which hampered his effect on the attacking game in the second half. I think that's a credit to Denmark's play, though.

I'm very happy Croatia is going on. I'm expecting Belgium to beat Japan today, so Belgium v. Croatia looks like it'll be a good game and one I've been hoping to see since groups were in the books.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I didn't get to catch the whole game, but it seemed like Mexico was just outclassed today. If Brazil stays disciplined in their back third, they can beat anybody -- which I'm sure surprises no one.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":kq6z9tmz said:
sdog1981":kq6z9tmz said:

I think Russia got away with that drag down on Sergio Ramos late in the game. The ball came in right where he would have been if the Russian defender hadn't been holding, spinning and dragging him down. Can't believe they didn't call it, though I appreciate when refs don't give PKs late in the game unless it's pretty cut and dry. Kinda torn on that one.

I dont think it's a penalty.

By the letter, it is. However, they have let the clutching and grabbing go on corner kicks and set pieces for a decade now and have created a situation where the first time they call one it will be devastating.

The leagues need to take control and start enforcing those fouls during those games and let international soccer catch up (as the stakes are higher)

I'd also argue that Ramos fouled the Russian player on what amounted to an own goal.

and also that Ramos is an empty-headed animal food trough wiper who i'm happy to see lose.. always

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3ceea0l1 said:
I didn't get to catch the whole game, but it seemed like Mexico was just outclassed today. If Brazil stays disciplined in their back third, they can beat anybody -- which I'm sure surprises no one.

By round of 8, everyone can beat anybody.

What makes Brazil a little different is they have quality in the attack across three levels. That quality is left wanting when Neymar holds the ball for 15 touches.

Today, he was much better, and maybe let down by Coutinho a bit or the score may have been more.

Credit to mexico, they went after it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2pzl0l8e said:
Credit to mexico, they went after it.

Meh. Mexico was fraud from the start. They beat one of the worst Germany sides in history, barely got by SK and got embarrassed by Sweden.

Good riddance.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1yujnpzy said:
JGfromtheNW":1yujnpzy said:
sdog1981":1yujnpzy said:

I dont think it's a penalty.

By the letter, it is. However, they have let the clutching and grabbing go on corner kicks and set pieces for a decade now and have created a situation where the first time they call one it will be devastating.

The leagues need to take control and start enforcing those fouls during those games and let international soccer catch up (as the stakes are higher)

I'd also argue that Ramos fouled the Russian player on what amounted to an own goal.

and also that Ramos is an empty-headed animal food trough wiper who i'm happy to see lose.. always

Well I know there was one or two penalties given away in the group stages for defenders getting too physical and dragging players down in the box on set pieces. Each ref is going to handle these situations their own way, that's the nature of the sport and reffing, but in this tournament alone it's been wildly inconsistent.

I'm with you, though, I've hated Ramos since his earliest days at Real. Him and Pepe was the grossest defender duo I've ever seen. No respect for the game, constant flopping and dramatics. Screw those guys.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I've not seen any penalties given for clutching and grabbing during corner kicks or set pieces. Certainly during the run of play. But I haven't watched every game.

The difference being the mass of bodies in the area. I know UEFA has asked the refs to crack down last year and we certainly saw an impact.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Unearthed picture of Neymar after getting a paper cut.

DhHLYLgXcAADl5v

m0ng0

Reaction score
I am kind of a newcomer to soccer, and I have been watching a bunch of the games and enjoying it alot! However I really do not like the idea of ending games on penalty kicks, I just think that sucks. To my eyes the better teams both lost.

The other thing I noticed is going from a world cup game to the timbers v sounders game afterwards was awful :D