World Cup 2018

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
m0ng0":1sqpxenm said:
I am kind of a newcomer to soccer, and I have been watching a bunch of the games and enjoying it alot! However I really do not like the idea of ending games on penalty kicks, I just think that sucks. To my eyes the better teams both lost.

The other thing I noticed is going from a world cup game to the timbers v sounders game afterwards was awful :D

LOL.

Penalty kicks are brutal to end games with. Saw my fair share of PK shootout wins and losses in tourneys and high school playoffs. Losing on them is an awful way to end a tourney or a season.

What a game between Belgium and Japan, holy cow. Watched the whole first half, ran an errand at the break and by the time I was back in my car with the game on the radio Japan had just gone up 1-0. Props to the Belgium coach for bringing in two players who scored and put them through.

Round of 16 hasn't disappointed so far!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Did watch the last 10 minutes or so of that Japan loss, that was pretty fun to watch. That goalie was making some crazy saves. But on that final one, he had zero to little chance to stop that final goal.

DKHAWK79

Reaction score
Still pretty bitter about Denmark getting knocked out. We played toe to toe with one of the best teams of the Group stages.
Kasper Schmeichel saves 3 penalties and we still could not find a way to win. Might not ever see Denmark with as good a chance to be in a semifinal of the World Cup again. Truly a unique chance missed.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
DKHAWK79":3mcmym2o said:
Still pretty bitter about Denmark getting knocked out. We played toe to toe with one of the best teams of the Group stages.
Kasper Schmeichel saves 3 penalties and we still could not find a way to win. Might not ever see Denmark with as good a chance to be in a semifinal of the World Cup again. Truly a unique chance missed.

Tough loss for you guys, no doubt. I thought Denmark played really well. It seemed like a lot of composure and discipline in that squad.

Schmeichel played out of his mind. I was getting choked up watching his dad celebrate his blocks. Poulsen was also a pleasure to watch, I thought he had a great game. It seemed like he won almost every 50/50 ball that went his way and his first touch was on-point pretty much all game.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1v4pedo4 said:
Unearthed picture of Neymar after getting a paper cut.

DhHLYLgXcAADl5v
This baby faker single handedly throws disrepute on the game. What a jerk. Imagine having to work with someone like this? Half the team were diving, clutching at the wrong body part again and again.

They clearly were the better team yesterday but I would have rather seen Mexico advance.

I'm looking forward to another 7-1 beatdown by any team vs Brazil to humiliate these guys again this year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
On Neymar...

He has been fouled (and I mean legitimately fouled, hard, with no intent to play the ball whatsoever) more than any player in this tournament, by a good shout. He took 11 fouls in a group stage game (most in 20 years) and you know there were a dozen more out there that weren't called. This was the case at PSG this year, where he was legitimately injured, badly, by cheap tactics. Without the protection of Messi and Suarez (and his unwillingness to involve Coutinho more with Brazil), Neymar is a target.

His theatrics are tiresome. but so are the tactics meant to physically abuse the player at every touch of the ball. It's absurd.

That's what's bringing the game into disrepute. It's not Neymar's rolling around on the ground after the 20th stomp or kick or punch or grab. It's teams employing this type of physicality on one player while refs stand idly by.

The Mexican player should've seen red for his stamp. Not even a card. Neymar's reaction was way over the top. but people are concerned with that, and not the deliberate intent to harm a player?

He's no "baby" and certainly not a "faker." He's getting the shit kicked out of him every 5 minutes, with little to no help from the refs. At some point, what is happening to Neymar needs to be the headline, not his reaction (which, by the way, isn't "every time" he gets fouled... which again, is alot)

At some point, 6 metal studs across your knee/shin/calf/foot is going to require action. And since noone seems to want to punish the offender, Neymar's reaction is the focus. And that's a shame as it's missing the point.

Mexico were there typical dirty selves in close contact. Sure, they played some wonderful counter attacking soccer. But they also pinched and clawed and stamped out at a Brazilian every moment they got. They deserved the loss. Their antics were no more reputable, competitive or "fair" than their theatric counterparts.

Refs need to start issuing yellows much early in the process. These fouls are "tactical" in nature, and by the rule book, those are yellow cards. Protect the players, protect the run of play.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
m0ng0":35nvemjo said:
I am kind of a newcomer to soccer, and I have been watching a bunch of the games and enjoying it alot! However I really do not like the idea of ending games on penalty kicks, I just think that sucks. To my eyes the better teams both lost.

The other thing I noticed is going from a world cup game to the timbers v sounders game afterwards was awful :D

It's the only way to end it at that point.

The game's gone on for 120 minutes. The players are spent. There's not much soccer left to be played.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2edcigup said:
Mexico were there typical dirty selves in close contact. Sure, they played some wonderful counter attacking soccer. But they also pinched and clawed and stamped out at a Brazilian every moment they got. They deserved the loss. Their antics were no more reputable, competitive or "fair" than their theatric counterparts.

Did you hear the Mexican coaches comments after the game? Saying the refs prolly cost them the game in the second half by not letting them play, too many stoppages of the game, etc. He went on to say that soccer is a "man's sport" and players shouldn't be acting so much and embellishing.

Cheap words coming from a coach whose team started immediately diving/embellishing/time wasting in the groups once they had a lead. I was happy to see Mexico bow out after hearing that. Good lord, show some self-awareness.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":cy2g7ay2 said:
Uncle Si":cy2g7ay2 said:

Did you hear the Mexican coaches comments after the game? Saying the refs prolly cost them the game in the second half by not letting them play, too many stoppages of the game, etc. He went on to say that soccer is a "man's sport" and players shouldn't be acting so much and embellishing.

Cheap words coming from a coach whose team started immediately diving/embellishing/time wasting in the groups once they had a lead. I was happy to see Mexico bow out after hearing that. Good lord, show some self-awareness.

Its part of the soccer culture, created and left too long by poor officiating coverage. Look at an NFL game, there are something like 11 officials involved. In soccer, its maybe 5.

Knowing that refs cannot possibly see everything (and sometimes anything), players have gone to the "dark arts" tactics of play, including embellishment and diving. Fans tend to focus on that aspect as its deemed "unsportsmanlike" while ignoring the vicious things players will do to each other in close quarters.

i have 13 inch scar across my shin from someone dragging their metal cleat across me in a state tournament match. and that was through a sock. Ive got a hundred other stories (broken bones in the foot from stamping with studs, finger dislocated by someone pulling it) but the worst was getting chopped in the adams apple during a corner in college. I was accused of play acting.. when i couldnt breathe. Its whatever, i gave back.

It's a difficult game to officiate, as things happen fast over a very large expanse with a limited set of eyes. Players over the decades have learned to use that to their advantage. And here we are.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Brazil vs Belgium today. Let's hope there's less "clowning around"
"The delay for one player was even four minutes, and that is a lesson for even children who play. This should be a game of men and not so much clowning around."

In total, Neymar has spent 14 minutes rolling on the grass during this World Cup.
"

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
France is the most impressive young team I've seen, maybe ever. I could seem them winning the next 2-3 World Cups with how young and talented they are. Pace, skill, size............they've got it all.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Palmegranite":3qbqofou said:
Brazil vs Belgium today. Let's hope there's less "clowning around"
"The delay for one player was even four minutes, and that is a lesson for even children who play. This should be a game of men and not so much clowning around."

In total, Neymar has spent 14 minutes rolling on the grass during this World Cup.
"

Will depend on if Belgium actually try and play instead of running at the Brazilian players like its Fury Road

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":noxobz0m said:
France is the most impressive young team I've seen, maybe ever. I could seem them winning the next 2-3 World Cups with how young and talented they are. Pace, skill, size............they've got it all.

They really are loaded...

but so are Germany and England in terms of youth. (as well as the US, as you know).

Lot of these other, perennial challengers are getting old, fast, however. Im very interested to see what Spain's Euro lineup looks like in 2 years for example.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3jkc9h00 said:
Sgt. Largent":3jkc9h00 said:

but so are Germany and England in terms of youth. (as well as the US, as you know).

Lot of these other, perennial challengers are getting old, fast, however. Im very interested to see what Spain's Euro lineup looks like in 2 years for example.

I'm just shocked at how composed all these young French players are. Everyone knew they were loaded with young talent, but it hasn't shown at all.

Also IMO France is the sign of the times of how soccer is changing. The old Barca/Spain/Argentina model of small, quick technical passing game isn't as effective anymore because as France has shown, you can develop power and size to go along with technical ability and quickness.

So damn strong on the ball, AND with pace and skill. It's so impressive to watch.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1685doar said:
Uncle Si":1685doar said:
Sgt. Largent":1685doar said:

I'm just shocked at how composed all these young French players are. Everyone knew they were loaded with young talent, but it hasn't shown at all.

Also IMO France is the sign of the times of how soccer is changing. The old Barca/Spain/Argentina model of small, quick technical passing game isn't as effective anymore because as France has shown, you can develop power and size to go along with technical ability and quickness.

So damn strong on the ball, AND with pace and skill. It's so impressive to watch.

Less about France and more about the recent changes in how club soccer is being developed. You still have your Barcas, Arsenals, Citys.

But equally you have your Madrids (both of them), Liverpools, Juves who are challenging the technical teams with pace and strength.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Agreed with both of you guys, it's a sign of the times, but I don't think it's that different from what we've seen from ten years ago. More like the cycle has continued so teams have risen and fallen. You had the very technical teams that played the quick short passing game in Europe like Barca and Arsenal, but you also had teams that complimented technical skill with the pace and strength such as Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Madrid, etc.

France has been impressive playing as a unit with such a young squad full of stars. It's a far cry from the last couple French squads that imploded/mutinied.

Can't wait for this Brazil v. Belgium game. I'm rooting for Belgium all the way.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Neymar's first foul is a forearm to the back of the head while getting grabbed across the chest... no card. and whistles from the crown as he sits on the ground

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1gesdc8q said:
Neymar's first foul is a forearm to the back of the head while getting grabbed across the chest... no card. and whistles from the crown as he sits on the ground

Good. This is what happens when you're the floppiest flopper who ever flopped.............you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt from the refs.

He CAN'T NOT embellish a foul.

I like how Belgium's using their size advantage to push Brazil around and frustrate them.