Worst Officiating Call of the Season?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
tooshort":3dtlf8n4 said:
True story, the Clink sells family section front row 300 level tix as "view obstructed" because the railing could block some (little) persons view...Those Colts Seats should be donated to a vision impaired charity..wow that view is BS!!
They are donated, but to a mentally impaired charity. It's a random Colts fan drawing each week on the radio in the Indy area.

nanomoz

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":hpo7qwnw said:
tooshort":hpo7qwnw said:
True story, the Clink sells family section front row 300 level tix as "view obstructed" because the railing could block some (little) persons view...Those Colts Seats should be donated to a vision impaired charity..wow that view is BS!!
They are donated, but to a mentally impaired charity. It's a random Colts fan drawing each week on the radio in the Indy area.

For some reason, it's the least effective portion of their treatment regimen.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I re-watched the entire season over the past two weeks and I concur that the Indy game was officiated by transient winos who stumbled into the stadi... barn just in time to grab zebra shirts and start tossing flags at random.

The Tate OPI was the most blatantly horrible call of the year for me because you're supposed to actually see it happen, and if not that, have some immediate circumstantial evidence that the penalty occurred. On the Tate catch there was no indication of a push-off from any perceivable angle. No extension of the arms. No arm/hand contact at all. No defender's sudden change of position. There was just no reasonable explanation for that flag.

Cumulatively though, the holds on long Turbin runs kinda get my ire up. Not all of them were called incorrectly, but few of them were necessary to the play.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Earl thomas holding call on a pass he picked off. He barely touched the WR on that play.

The worst part about it is we probably don't go down 21-0 if it weren't for that one call.

Thankfully the "game manager" who "can't carry a team" saved the day

jlwaters1

Reaction score
253hawk":25rc9jcm said:
Either the blown TD call @Indy on the blocked punt that ended up only being a safety or the missed blatant holding on Sherman during Gore's run that set up the winning FG @SF.

Oh, and the DPI on Earl against TB when he didn't even touch the guy; helped set up the Bucs' first TD (it wouldn't have been an INT though as his second foot comes down on the line.) Plus all of the super-late hits on Wilson that game, one of which that effed up his left shoulder for the rest of the year.
How about another 2 from that game 1- the offensive pi on tate in that game after a big reception, or the pi \ defensive holding on Sherman that extended the drive and lead to a td.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ou48gvu said:
The worst call of the year in the entire NFL was the field goal penalty that sent the Chargers to the playoffs.
It was Bill Leavy's crew that made that call and the Stealers would have made the playoffs if that was called correctly.

Reaction score
I think the one (pretty sure it was Ron Winter) in the Indy game where we got flagged for having 12 men on the field (when there was only 11) was pretty terrible.

253hawk

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3nogingg said:
How about another 2 from that game 1- the offensive pi on tate in that game after a big reception, or the pi \ defensive holding on Sherman that extended the drive and lead to a td.

Yeah I forgot about that one. Haven't watched the game since it aired but Kearse scored on the drive anyway, so it wasn't that bad in retrospect.

GrouchyOilyBoaconstrictor

Not real sure on the 12 men one as there could have been an extra player in the huddle when the camera was cut away. Winter was walking over with his hand on his flag before they broke to head to the line.

Browner and Sherm each got a lame call because Hilton is such a tiny little bitch compared to them. 5'9" and 178 soaking wet...he flopped to the turf both times he got into either of their bodies, and the ball wasn't even catchable on either pass. Ugh I think I may hate the Dolts even more than the Whiners now.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3lyn3azk said:
If we're talking about past years, the phantom flag for holding on what would have been a Leon Washington PR TD against the Browns still rankles me, and that was three years ago.

Stinking Mike Carey.

I was there in person for that game too. I'm quite the good luck charm. Don't forget that this call also happened in that game, and unlike the other one that was just a Carey crew member, this was the idiot himself:

[youtube]4utf-X0qJT0[/youtube]

evergreen

Reaction score
The Indy game was looking like the Buffalo game from the year before, until bad things happened. We did get screwed out of a win there. I didn't have a lot of faith in RW getting us back to a tie against AZ, but that call on the turf bounce was atrocious. The spot on the RW scramble in the 1st @ the SB was pretty lame too. The out of bounds hit on Lane still has not been adequately addressed by the NFL. Remember the returner muffed that kick and Lane would've been all over that ball.

On another note, I can't remember the game, Marshawn just punched somebody's helmet off as he ran and Tim Ryan was trying to make it sound like a penalty on HIM. Thankfully the refs didn't agree and no call was made. I don't think the runner can face mask can they?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
evergreen":1fee7ys1 said:
. I don't think the runner can face mask can they?
Mu understanding is they can stiff arm the defender, including having their hand on his face mask... but the runnner can't twist or otherwise pull on the defender's face mask.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You can touch the face mask all you want, but you can't twist or turn their head with it and if you get your fingers in it you can't pull, push, or help tackle with your grip on it. I guess you could phrase it as saying "uneventful contact" with the face mask is fine.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I don't know why but I remember in the St. Louis game there were some pretty horrible penalties and non calls, throughout and as someone said it escalated during the game.

There were quite a few calls missed in the Indy most notably the safety/non TD, that swung the momentum.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I gotta go with the Crabs non fumble in Candlestick. That was massive and took no less than 3 points off the scoreboard. That hold on the Gore run was pretty awful in that it they call that on the Hawks every time. Just ask Robert Turbin.

SEAHAWG

Reaction score
I was banned after the Dolts game, guess I was a little pissed about the awfulfficiating too.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2i62et1a said:
253hawk":2i62et1a said:
....Oh, and the DPI on Earl against TB when he didn't even touch the guy; helped set up the Bucs' first TD (it wouldn't have been an INT though as his second foot comes down on the line.) Plus all of the super-late hits on Wilson that game, one of which that effed up his left shoulder for the rest of the year.
Mike Carey says you're wrong.
I don't.

The spot on Russ' scramble in XLVIII was shit too. I'll mention it since no one else has yet.

Yes that spot sucked. What got me though is they moved the spot upon review but still took a TO from us. I didn't understand that.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
In the nfccg when they called "forward progress" which should have been a defensive score was BS.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else remember Sidney Rice being tripped in full stride from behind and it was called incidental contact? I've see soccer players who would have been proud of that type of tackle.

Also a Michael Bennett sack being scrubbed off because tackled the QB around the ankles. I guess this was technically within the rules but there was no danger to the QB, also iirc there was an exact same tackle in a game afterwards that was called as a sack.

Latest posts