Worst Officiating Call of the Season?

BASF

Reaction score
JaiSeaSea":2jlvj257 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2jlvj257 said:
The spot on Russ' scramble in XLVIII was shit too. I'll mention it since no one else has yet.

Yes that spot sucked. What got me though is they moved the spot upon review but still took a TO from us. I didn't understand that.

The successful challenge is predicated on the first down. If the line to gain is reached, then you win the challenge and keep the time out and a first down. If you don't have enough yardage to make the line to gain you lose the challenge and the time out. It was a very poor spot and placement of the ball after review and we should have won the challenge and the first down.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":39nw7lo5 said:
Scottemojo":39nw7lo5 said:
The worst call of the year in the entire NFL was the field goal penalty that sent the Chargers to the playoffs.

To me, the worst calls are the ones that aren't just bad calls, but are spotted by coaches and can't be challenged.

Andy Reid actually spotted this formation infraction and told the refs right after the play. No flag. So he used a time out. Wasn't allowed to challenge, and the refs refused to look at the jumbotron. Bill Leavy crew, naturally.

The Bowman play was so bad not only because of the magnitude of the blown call, but because it was not even challengeable for reasons that didn't make sense. They even said on the broadcast that had the play been a TD it would have been reviewable, but since it wasn't Harbaugh couldn't do a thing. I'm actually really glad we botched the next play in retrospect, otherwise 49ers fans would blame the loss on that call.

The NFL needs to streamline their review process. Just about everything, save for perhaps a few judgement call type plays, needs to be reviewable.

I agree that in hindsight, Lynch fumbling on the next play was the best thing that could have happened. It makes me happy when I rewatch the game now.

That would be ALL anyone remembers from that game if we had scored a TD on that play and the NFC Championship would be another banner hung up in the crusade against bad calls, and fans everywhere would have one more excuse for why the Seahawks should have an asterisk next to their Super Bowl title.

As it is, people remember it as being a horrible call and horrible situation, but one that did not affect the outcome of the game.

MB12

Reaction score
Just a general thing, but the zebras are awful at calling offsides. In the NFCCG the niners were jumping offsides nearly every snap

irocdave

Reaction score
Man you guys dredged up so many BS calls. IIIRC, the Indy game was a joke. So many bad calls at the worst time, same as SB40. Some of the worst calls against the Hawks that come to mind was Vinny Interceptionverde's head crossing the goal line but no the ball. That was the worst call against the Hawks that I can remember. There was another the following year with Baltimore. Almost as bad.

Tate's shove before the TD call was just as blatant as the 2 I mentioned. Tate did have control of the ball and in my NFL rules understanding should have been given the TD. But he should have been flagged for OPI. I understand that GB got away with an almost as bad call prior to that play, but Tate shoved that dude big time. Still remember telling my wife and kids that's a make up call and I'll take. F GB.

evergreen

Reaction score
That Baltimore game from 2003 was unbelievable. They got to stop the clock with an injury essentially gaining a 4th time out. That was some horrible officiating. Also that year in St. Louis, an official took out our receiver in the end zone right as the game winning throw was perfectly on target. Oh sorry about that 4th down! That and Baltimore were the difference between going 12-4 and winning Homefield or 10-6 and going to Green Bay.

Still the worst ever were reserved for XL. HOF Steve young, "That's a touchdown!" HOF John Madden, "I don't see holding on that play," Big Ben's phantom TD. And BTW I believe the Fail Mary is a catch.

On another note how many times have you seen the refs pick up a yellow flag on a punt return? I think the 2005 NFCCG was the only time I've ever seen it happen...

BASF

Reaction score
Since the season portion of this question seems to no longer apply in the responses, I would be remiss to bring up the most pivotal call that never gets brought up ever: Darrell Jackson caught a touchdown pass from Hass with 7 seconds left in the second quarter that would have put us up 10-7 with momentum going into half time. During the play, Jackson had the ball held to his body with one hand and his foot down at the three, then brought the ball into his body with one foot down at the one followed by kicking the pylon with the ball crossing the goal line. That is a touchdown. Always has been and always will be. The play was not even reviewed.

628x471

evergreen

Reaction score
Wow, awesome picture of that! I wondered about that too at the time. Did we not have the ability to challenge? Essentially his 2nd foot hits the pylon which is the end zone. I remember the color guy berating DJack for being so close to the sideline. I tried to convince my freinds it was a TD but then they threw it right there farther out the next play and Josh missed a long fg. Excellent choice.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
BASF":15boo6km said:
Since the season portion of this question seems to no longer apply in the responses, I would be remiss to bring up the most pivotal call that never gets brought up ever: Darrell Jackson caught a touchdown pass from Hass with 7 seconds left in the second quarter that would have put us up 10-7 with momentum going into half time. During the play, Jackson had the ball held to his body with one hand and his foot down at the three, then brought the ball into his body with one foot down at the one followed by kicking the pylon with the ball crossing the goal line. That is a touchdown. Always has been and always will be. The play was not even reviewed.

628x471

[youtube]nRNmA40v6cM[/youtube]

I am the biggest homer in the world but that is not a touchdown.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Remember that for it to be a touchdown back then, it had to cross the plane, not simply touch it. (Which is why Rapistberger's rushing TD was definitely not a TD, too...)

ZagHawk

Reaction score
We won the SB, let's not complain about calls last season, especially considering it requires all the stars to align to win a SB, and won change of call would change all of that. Think of bad calls this season, like past failed marriages and relationships if you're currently happily married/relationship.

themunn

Reaction score
A quote I have dragged up from the Indy game. Without a doubt the worst call, coming down to the fact that the referee simply CAN'T COUNT

DericLee":1zdgpmau said:
Kixkahn":1zdgpmau said:
themunn":1zdgpmau said:
Hawkscanner":1zdgpmau said:
This is the last thing I'm going to bring up regarding the officiating and then I'm moving on.

Can you guys do me a favor? Can someone go back to that 12 Men in the Huddle penalty that was called in the 3rd Quarter and look at that for me? The comment from the commentator was something like, "I guess we'll have to trust Ron Winter's crew on this one." Pete Carroll was absolutely incensed -- you could see him screaming on the sideline about it. When I go back and look at the tape coming out of the huddle ... I keep coming up with 10. I've looked at that 3 or 4 times now and I keep coming up with 10. I don't see 12 guys at all. What do your eyes see? It's around the 9:42 mark in the 3rd Quarter.

I think you might be right there.
I took this off of gamepass, couldn't quite make it out from the huddle, but the picture on the right is about 1.5 seconds after they break the huddle

28ip8iw

Definitely only 11 men there, unless someone ran out of the huddle before the replay started, but will need all-22 to see that for certain
I tried counting them and I see only 11 in both. Maybe someone could blow the pic up bigger to see for sure.

All 22 is not up yet.

Just from the broadcast replay you can actually see Winters pointing his finger at the huddle, counting off players, then he throws his flag.

At no time from reaching for his flag, to when he started counting, where there more then 11 Seahawks on that field.

Ref's need to get fired if they suck this bad this consistently.

Reference photo's

Reaches for Flag

Untitled 1

Starts Counting

Untitled 2

Still Counting
Untitled 3

Throws Flag
Untitled 4 1

BASF

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":37jvweob said:
BASF":37jvweob said:

628x471

I will counter with this:[youtube]zkpR3F3A8UQ[/youtube]

Same principle. You can see from the picture of Jackson that the ball is in fact crossing the goal line while he has possession and his second foot hits the pylon just as Vick hits the pylon with the ball for a touchdown. I can not find the one from when Vick was with Atlanta in 2005 playing against the Saints on Monday Night Football, but I know he had almost the same exact play, but he didn't actually hit the pylon.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
JaiSeaSea":gvv19t5i said:
In the nfccg when they called "forward progress" which should have been a defensive score was BS.

How should there have been a defensive score? Even if he is given an Int it is still just an Int. We weren't pinned back against our own goal line.

That call really wasn't even as bad as the Crabtree fumble. I think it was a make up call for the Crabtree call but at least they called it forward progress immediately. It was immediately the wrong call but it didn't change to prevent the challenge.

The cal in Candlestick was actually way worse overall. Not as blatant immediately but the fact they changed the call after the ref had already patted his but to indicate that Crabtree's but touched the ground before the ball came out and then changed the call to prevent the challenge in a game that ended in 2 point difference and on a call that kept a drive alive that the Niners ended up getting 3 points on and ended up being the call that cost us the sweep, locking up the #1 seed and having to listen to Niner fans all think that the call on Brooks when he tried to kill Breeze was the reason they didn't win the division and the super bowl.

The call on the Crabtree fumble wouldn't have been so bad if they would have called forward progress to begin with but they didn't. Changing the call had one purpose and that was to prevent the challenge and it didn't get changed to forward progress until after the replay showed the ball was clearly out before his but hit the ground like the official indicated and after Pete had already thrown the challenge flag.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MB12":11e05m1x said:
Just a general thing, but the zebras are awful at calling offsides. In the NFCCG the niners were jumping offsides nearly every snap
Yep, go watch soundFX of the game when Pete and Russ were discussing going for it on 4th and 7, and trying to get them to bite on the hard count, Russ said "that won't be a problem as they are jumping offsides on the regular count every play as is" and then laughs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3ua412co said:
JaiSeaSea":3ua412co said:
In the nfccg when they called "forward progress" which should have been a defensive score was BS.

How should there have been a defensive score? Even if he is given an Int it is still just an Int. We weren't pinned back against our own goal line.

That call really wasn't even as bad as the Crabtree fumble. I think it was a make up call for the Crabtree call but at least they called it forward progress immediately. It was immediately the wrong call but it didn't change to prevent the challenge.

The cal in Candlestick was actually way worse overall. Not as blatant immediately but the fact they changed the call after the ref had already patted his but to indicate that Crabtree's but touched the ground before the ball came out and then changed the call to prevent the challenge in a game that ended in 2 point difference and on a call that kept a drive alive that the Niners ended up getting 3 points on and ended up being the call that cost us the sweep, locking up the #1 seed and having to listen to Niner fans all think that the call on Brooks when he tried to kill Breeze was the reason they didn't win the division and the super bowl.

The call on the Crabtree fumble wouldn't have been so bad if they would have called forward progress to begin with but they didn't. Changing the call had one purpose and that was to prevent the challenge and it didn't get changed to forward progress until after the replay showed the ball was clearly out before his but hit the ground like the official indicated and after Pete had already thrown the challenge flag.
Yep, still waiting for the NFL's official response to that call. Too bad Baghdad Mike Pereira is retired as the "official" spokesliar for craptastic NFL officiating and blown calls.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
BASF":3rtz2opn said:
seahawk12thman":3rtz2opn said:
BASF":3rtz2opn said:

628x471

Same principle. You can see from the picture of Jackson that the ball is in fact crossing the goal line while he has possession and his second foot hits the pylon just as Vick hits the pylon with the ball for a touchdown. I can not find the one from when Vick was with Atlanta in 2005 playing against the Saints on Monday Night Football, but I know he had almost the same exact play, but he didn't actually hit the pylon.

Jackson's right foot hit the pylon but landed out of bounds. In order for there to be a catch the second foot must LAND in bounds which it didn't. If Jackson had secured it with both feet in bounds and touched only the Pylon with the ball like Vick, then Touchdown.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":y59smb0j said:
RichNhansom":y59smb0j said:
JaiSeaSea":y59smb0j said:

Yep, still waiting for the NFL's official response to that call. Too bad Baghdad Mike Pereira is retired as the "official" spokesliar for craptastic NFL officiating and blown calls.

And you won't. That call is not explainable unless the NFL came out and said it would have ruined the rivalry if they didn't make the call.

The real problem I have with it is it is getting brushed over. Imagine if we had lost the NFCC game. That call would have actually cost us a super bowl and it is not debatable. Without that call Seattle has another possession, momentum, the lead and you take 3 points off the Niners score. Unless the officials created another window that call changes the outcome of the game and we sweep the Niners and win the division and home field throughout.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":3t5oa44g said:
BASF":3t5oa44g said:
seahawk12thman":3t5oa44g said:
BASF":3t5oa44g said:

628x471

Jackson's right foot hit the pylon but landed out of bounds. In order for there to be a catch the second foot must LAND in bounds which it didn't. If Jackson had secured it with both feet in bounds and touched only the Pylon with the ball like Vick, then Touchdown.

The issue is the ball actually crossed the goal line before his foot came down. Had that been the Steelers it was a TD.

That play is one of the reasons I hated Djack. His game prep was putrid and the brain farts came way to often and in critical times. The guy had all the talent in the world but never worked for it.

That play was the one right after the holding call on Locklear that took us from the 29 to the 39 and took away a 1st and goal with the best short yardage TD machine in the game in Alexander but all Jackson had to do was drag his left foot and it is a TD, unless they create and yet another bogus call to prevent it, which unfortunately you know they would have. They were not going to let us have a lead and momentum where we could utilize Alexander to eat the clock and keep the ball out of Big Bens hands even though he only had a 22.7 QB rating for the game.

I do love how even Seahawks fans say "we didn't do enough to win" while ignoring we controlled every aspect of that game and there QB had a 22.7 rating for the game. My question to those, if we didn't do enough to win, did they?

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
No question we were screwed. Two touchdowns taken off the board and one handed to the Steelers. How the hell does any body overcome a three touchdown swing? What made it worse was while many people hated Pittsburgh for that, I was just forcing animosity. It wasn't the Steelers fault they were the beneficiary of so many bogus calls. My only true hatred following that game was directed towards Jerramy Stvens.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":wby7rb2p said:
No question we were screwed. Two touchdowns taken off the board and one handed to the Steelers. How the hell does any body overcome a three touchdown swing? What made it worse was while many people hated Pittsburgh for that, I was just forcing animosity. It wasn't the Steelers fault they were the beneficiary of so many bogus calls. My only true hatred following that game was directed towards Jerramy Stvens.

Apparently you didn't talk to many of their fans.