Worst QB in franchise history?

Worst QB in franchise history (who actually played)?

• Dan McGwire

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • Stan Gelbaugh

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Rick Mirer

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Kelly Stouffer

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other (who and why)

Votes: 5 6.2%

• Total voters

chris98251

Reaction score
This and he didn't even start his rookie year in Atlanta. It wasn't until Holmgren benched Majkowski for Favre to get a chance. Bringing up Favre is just hindsight. Nobody could have predicted he was going to become what he did.
Ron Wolfe traded for him so he had an idea, Chuck Knox wanted him so he had an idea. Not predictions but a hefty investment set up to get him.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ron Wolfe traded for him so he had an idea, Chuck Knox wanted him so he had an idea. Not predictions but a hefty investment set up to get him.

If they had an idea they wouldn't have chosen Vinnie Clark and Dan McGwire instead of him. Wolfe took a chance on him in his 2nd year and it worked out. More often enough it doesn't.

Rat

Reaction score
Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick. Passed up by every team at least a couple times.
A third round pick they got from us when we traded up for a LB named Michael Jackson. We also gave them some safety whose name I don't remember in that deal.

chris98251

Reaction score
If they had an idea they wouldn't have chosen Vinnie Clark and Dan McGwire instead of him. Wolfe took a chance on him in his 2nd year and it worked out. More often enough it doesn't.
Well they Had the Majick Man and everything looked good, then he got injured and he lost his arm and throwing velocity, it never came back, us we had the Behrings who were in Love with Mark and Ken and son locked on to Dan. There was no evaluation that was going to change their mind, figure he was a tall sucker and could see over everyone, his ten minute wind up to throw an inaccurate pass wasn't a consideration.

Torc

Reaction score
I went with McGwire, who should never have been drafted in the first place. He's a prime example of what happens when an owner who knows zero about the game dictates a decision to the GM.

Stouffer doesn't belong on this list (certainly not at the top of it IMO). He played decently (I think he went .500?) filling in when Krieg was injured, under Knox. And you have to give him credit for moxie - one of my favorite plays ever is when Curt Warner broke Stouffer's nose with an elbow through the facemask. Stouffer stood up and threw a TD to Ray Butler. No doubt so he could get off the field and have his nose looked at. :p I believe that had Knox remained Stouffer would have been solid for us. Instead we got Tom Flores "developing" Stouffer, Mirer and McGwire.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
This begs the question of intent. Did the OP intend the question to be the worst QB draft, QB trade or QB contract? Or as seemingly implied, if the OP intended for it to be based solely on field performance.

It's like I mentioned earlier. Once you get into all the other stuff besides how they played, you're basically opening up the entire butterfly effect question. Not worth it, IMO.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Hasn't it been alluded to that Holmgren and Huard fell out or something. Salk mentioned that Holmgren tried to ruin his career randomly but didn't give any context to it.
Not sure about that. Considering Holmie went all in and results were less than impressive, mired by injury...sounds ripe for tension.

Aircrew

Reaction score
The hiring of Tom Flores was probably the worst decision that Ken Behring made as owner, but overruling Chuck Knox and picking Dan McGwire over Brett Favre was a CLOSE second. So help me God, I had better never meet a member of the Behring family as long as I live.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
The hiring of Tom Flores was probably the worst decision that Ken Behring made as owner, but overruling Chuck Knox and picking Dan McGwire over Brett Favre was a CLOSE second. So help me God, I had better never meet a member of the Behring family as long as I live.
Moving the Team to LA #1.

Hotchy

Reaction score
Geno is nowwhere near those on the list. Geno may not be our savior long term...who the hell knows, but he has put up highly respectable #'s and provides leadership that none off those others came close to.

I really liked Mirer...until I didn't. And that took a while...I was always thinking he and the team would progress out of that time. What a sad string of mediocre seasons. But not the worst QB in our history.

Gelbaugh, Stauffer & McGwire have all blended into the same QB for me over the years. I never want to go back to that. It was dreadful, painful and made me want to be like other teams.

How fortunate we were with Hass, Russ & Geno for a decent period of time. All had their challenges, but all were/are top 10-15 QB's playing for us.
I agree with everything, except putting Geno up with Russ and Hasselbeck. Geno isn't a bad QB at all, but come on. The other 2 guys brought us a lot of Ws in regular and post season

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I agree with everything, except putting Geno up with Russ and Hasselbeck. Geno isn't a bad QB at all, but come on. The other 2 guys brought us a lot of Ws in regular and post season
Hass and Russ have playoff/SB success, this is true. My point is focused on the dread and misery when you know your QB sucks and therefore the team has no chance.

I don't have that dread with Geno. He has shown tremendous skill and resiliance in his career as a starter in Seattle. He has had some lows as well, but we all know both Hass and Russ did too.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Man, what a depressing thread. Talk about a "my stepsister is uglier than yours" conversation.

The fact that Mirer was a #2 overall, the highest pick we've ever had (tied with Steve Niehaus) as a franchise, has to rank him up there as the biggest disappointment even though we did get something back for him, McGuire is the biggest example of a meddling owner as Behring was the one that insisted that we draft him, and Stouffer represents one of the worst trades we've made as a franchise.