Would Winning the SB this Season Erase " The Play"

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Doubt it will ever be erased. Nor will the travesty that was XL. ‘The play’ was a foolish response to sudden unexpected success. I truly believe Marshawn would have scored not withstanding NE’s jumbo personnel package.

Winning this year would be a freaking miracle.

I’d be happy with a W in the playoffs. However, if the team has a shot at a rematch with the Rams it’s game on. That game if the W happened would be the cure to every negative since XLIX. A Lombardi would be a gift from football heaven.

Fade

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1a77htdk said:
Fade":1a77htdk said:
They kept bringing Cabevell back year after year. That is what makes it hurt more.

The two of them should both be handing me Big Macs through a window.

Yeah, you see it wasn't just "a play". It was that, + now you get to have your face rubbed in it for 3 more years. Brutal.

It drove a lot of the players on the team insane, and turned them bitter. I don't blame them.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
While this sounds lame, every loss presents an opportunity to grow. To me the growth only started this last offseason, Cabevell is over and finally the team has an approximation of a real OLine and a genuine running game. The future can only start to get brighter.

The cap nightmare is over and there is some genuine young football talent on the roster.

The team is genuinely not that far away from having a championship roster. Now for some smarter front office moves.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":17yid72o said:
Fade":17yid72o said:
They kept bringing Cabevell back year after year. That is what makes it hurt more.

The two of them should both be handing me Big Macs through a window.

Bevell would throw the Big Mac to you for no good reason though...and right into another car.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'll never feel ok about SB losses. What kind of fans are? They will always hurt. The Play will always suck.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Not being able to get over it suggests people have the emotional maturity of a teenage girl having their first crush.

The notion that one play defines one game yet alone an entire generation of players is one I find completely facile.

In short have a word with yourself.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maybe some fans and the players are just more passionate about it than you are. Regardless of how anybody felt or feels about it, 'The Play' had enough significance that it destroyed the team we had. As for defining that era, team, or group of players, thats what people remember besides some actual Seahawk fans. When I have casual talks about football with people and I tell them who I root for, The Play is always brought up and usually the first thing said by them. Its never going to go away.

justafan

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":16wtuz0s said:
Maybe some fans and the players are just more passionate about it than you are. Regardless of how anybody felt or feels about it, 'The Play' had enough significance that it destroyed the team we had. As for defining that era, team, or group of players, thats what people remember besides some actual Seahawk fans. When I have casual talks about football with people and I tell them who I root for, The Play is always brought up and usually the first thing said by them. Its never going to go away.

By the start of 2016 9 starters from the SB winning offense were gone,including the whole OL.5 players who played a large part of that D were gone. Many coaches.I am not going to go back and count how many players total but a lot of depth was lost by teams willing to overpay for role player

We start having holdouts from a key member,injuries to ET,Kam,a year RW was hobbled, no talent at RB. Last year where the ego lost control then injuries ending careers.Bennet gets old.

I know its a good story how the play destroyed the team but it just isnt true. It a way to blame someone for how you feel about the team not winning more games

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2jl4fm4u said:

I honestly don't think that group of players would have played any better in subsequent years if we won that SB.

It was an excuse used by some players who saw that their skills were deteriorating and the writing was on the wall that they weren't going to be offered any more contracts and their time here was short.

Ruminator

Reaction score
hawxfreak":3h7iytev said:
SB 48 erased 40 for me and I've never had a problem with 49 like most of y'all
I always felt the defense letting the pats come back were the real culprits

True. It was a huge gift to the Pats when Avril was forced to come out.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Wow. I just don’t get it? I thought this was a community. I have lurked and joined this forum on a few different names over the years( but always screwed up the account because I’m not tech savvy and a true caveman!) and can’t believe the stuff I’m reading here in this thread. Fans calling one another teenage girls, telling them how to feel about this event, and telling them to move on. Just wow!

First off none of you know me. Im a 44 year old man with a family of 4(Great kids by the way!) who is a Marine who served from 92-96 3 days out of high school. I served in Somalia during that time a have seen enough horrors to last a lifetime. I just recently retired from the AK Department of Corrections after spending 20 years working and eventually running prisons and have seen the ugliest side of human nature.

I watch football for entertainment and am emotionally attached to this team. Have been since 1984. This team has given me ups and downs throughout my life and my children have jumped on board in this fandom. That play hurt! It hurt me and my kids. Did we wake up the next day and every other day after that. Of course we did and have lived our lives. But it hurts nonetheless.

I have illustrated all this to get to my point(Thanks for hanging around if you are still reading this). and that is, stop telling others how to feel and act and move on with their lives. You most likely don’t know them and don’t understand that they are venting here in this forum and being apart of this online community. I stated more in this post about myself then I ever had anytime before in my life and if you tear it apart so be it, but put this in the back of your mind, I’m no teenager and have done more and seen more in my life that would make people crumble like a stale cookie! I’m not bragging, just stating you don’t know so don’t judge or preach or dictate how to feel. Thanks for listening.

OpHawk

Reaction score
I would be pretty content if I never see a thread title pertaining to that game ever again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OpHawk":3gyztgjr said:
I would be pretty content if I never see a thread title pertaining to that game ever again.

You're gonna have to join a different fan site.

D

DomeHawk

Yes, for me anyway. 3 SB's in 6 years with 2 wins is almost dynasty status.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3rao7sat said:
OpHawk":3rao7sat said:

Since that play is considered the all time worst play call ever in NFL history (by many), changing sites will not eliminate it either IMO.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
To actually win the SB this year or next would be more gratifying than 48 because of how quickly we improved and how overlooked we were/are. So it would certainly ease pain from 49, but 49 was still just 4 years ago-very recent and the worst moment in Northwest sports history can't be magically eliminated. But as Dome said, 2 titles and 3 appearances in 6 years would be borderline dynasty.

To have won back to back would've for sure cemented an eternal piece in history. To have won just 1, we're currently no different in the annals of history from the recent Packers, Broncos, Saints, etc-just 1 title a piece in this era.

So hopefully Pete and Russ can win another in the near future to stake our claim as one of the best of the decade.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":196xnfhd said:
Sgt. Largent":196xnfhd said:
OpHawk":196xnfhd said:

Since that play is considered the all time worst play call ever in NFL history (by many), changing sites will not eliminate it either IMO.

Well it'd sure as hell reduce the chance from 100% of seeing a thread or post to single digits.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I say just let it go already and move on...Seahawks did the moment they released Sherm.