Would Winning the SB this Season Erase " The Play"

knownone

Reaction score
I got over it a few weeks after it happened. The math said pass, Bevell called a bad play, players didn't execute... it sucks but it happened.

All that stuff about how "they should have run the ball" is just hindsight and poor logic. I mean that mathematically. I have no problem with fans believing they should have run it. It's just that the logic of the situation was sound and to fault them solely on the basis of passing is silly.

Losing the Superbowl on essentially the last play of the games doesn't remove everything leading up to that point. It was still a fun season and we almost won it all. Mistakes happened, such is life...

Seymour

Reaction score
Except they didn't lose the SB on that last play.... they were already behind. :idea:

They just failed to take the game back.

Pass was the correct call....just not that inside slant that wasn't even a score if he catches it. :roll:

sdog1981

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3rogy7eq said:
Yes, for me anyway. 3 SB's in 6 years with 2 wins is almost dynasty status.

During the Free Agent era that is a dynasty.

knownone

Reaction score
Seymour":20t114ht said:
Except they didn't lose the SB on that last play.... they were already behind. :idea:

Pass was the correct call....just not that inside slant that wasn't even a score if he catches it. :roll:
If a score gives you the lead and your last play on offense happens inside the end zone. Then you've essentially lost on the last play. To argue otherwise is semantic pedantry.

Seymour

Reaction score
knownone":3oqw0ilz said:
Seymour":3oqw0ilz said:

If a score gives you the lead and your last play on offense happens inside the end zone. Then you've essentially lost on the last play. To argue otherwise is semantic pedantry.

Well that is me, semantic pedantry LOL. The last play didn't happen in the end zone. Lockette was still at the 1 when he was picked. :2thumbs: :twisted: :lol:

knownone

Reaction score
Seymour":2u46nt5g said:
knownone":2u46nt5g said:
Seymour":2u46nt5g said:

Well that is me, semantic pedantry LOL. The last play didn't happen in the end zone. Lockette was still at the 1 when he was picked. :2thumbs: :twisted: :lol:
:lol: Well at least you're consistent.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24u773ub said:
pittpnthrs":24u773ub said:
Maybe some fans and the players are just more passionate about it than you are. Regardless of how anybody felt or feels about it, 'The Play' had enough significance that it destroyed the team we had. As for defining that era, team, or group of players, thats what people remember besides some actual Seahawk fans. When I have casual talks about football with people and I tell them who I root for, The Play is always brought up and usually the first thing said by them. Its never going to go away.

I honestly don't think that group of players would have played any better in subsequent years if we won that SB.

It was an excuse used by some players who saw that their skills were deteriorating and the writing was on the wall that they weren't going to be offered any more contracts and their time here was short.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I feel a bunch of them lost all confidence in the coaching staff and just couldnt bring themselves to stay on board. With a number of players feeling that way, and a good many of those being the superstars and team leaders, the locker room was lost. Just how I feel.

justafan

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2pl9aibt said:
Sgt. Largent":2pl9aibt said:
pittpnthrs":2pl9aibt said:
Maybe some fans and the players are just more passionate about it than you are. Regardless of how anybody felt or feels about it, 'The Play' had enough significance that it destroyed the team we had. As for defining that era, team, or group of players, thats what people remember besides some actual Seahawk fans. When I have casual talks about football with people and I tell them who I root for, The Play is always brought up and usually the first thing said by them. Its never going to go away.

I honestly don't think that group of players would have played any better in subsequent years if we won that SB.

It was an excuse used by some players who saw that their skills were deteriorating and the writing was on the wall that they weren't going to be offered any more contracts and their time here was short.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I feel a bunch of them lost all confidence in the coaching staff and just couldnt bring themselves to stay on board. With a number of players feeling that way, and a good many of those being the superstars and team leaders, the locker room was lost. Just how I feel.

I hear people say Pete lost the lockeroom or team and nobody knows unless they were inside. I would bet my last dollar coaches who lose the team dont finish 10-6 and make the playoffs or 9-7 and miss playoffs because you lose multiple games by missed field goals.

A bunch of guys were lost to other teams.Last season we lost Sherman,Kam,ET,Avril,Carson and many depth players for multiple games and still should have made the playoffs. Sherman was the only player I saw that was outta line. But Pete didnt lose the team. They always play hard.Maybe not the best but played hard.Even down to their last drive of the season where a missed FG would have given them a 10-6 record. Even without a playoff berth at stake they fought till the last minute. Thats not a team who gave up on the coach.

But go ahead and say this team has a weak character and gave up if you want. But it isnt even close to the truth.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Winning a SB will erase it but it’s tough to recognize that now.

I don’t care what math says and I question its accuracy. Run lynch is what logic says

justafan

Reaction score
NJlargent":5k5czc7h said:

I don’t care what math says and I question its accuracy. Run lynch is what logic says

Maybe, but there were 3 tds scored passing the ball inside the 4 yd line in that game.

NJlargent

Reaction score
justafan":2ru1xk85 said:
NJlargent":2ru1xk85 said:

Maybe, but there were 3 tds scored passing the ball inside the 4 yd line in that game.

There was also one that got picked

chris98251

Reaction score
justafan":kgta9503 said:
pittpnthrs":kgta9503 said:
Sgt. Largent":kgta9503 said:
pittpnthrs":kgta9503 said:

I hear people say Pete lost the lockeroom or team and nobody knows unless they were inside. I would bet my last dollar coaches who lose the team dont finish 10-6 and make the playoffs or 9-7 and miss playoffs because you lose multiple games by missed field goals.

A bunch of guys were lost to other teams.Last season we lost Sherman,Kam,ET,Avril,Carson and many depth players for multiple games and still should have made the playoffs. Sherman was the only player I saw that was outta line. But Pete didnt lose the team. They always play hard.Maybe not the best but played hard.Even down to their last drive of the season where a missed FG would have given them a 10-6 record. Even without a playoff berth at stake they fought till the last minute. Thats not a team who gave up on the coach.

But go ahead and say this team has a weak character and gave up if you want. But it isnt even close to the truth.

You can lose the locker room and still have guys do their job, they may bitch, and yes it effects play that extra effort and drive that you feel when you have a feeling of all in and together. The bitch effect carries over to others eventually since it's always there. Most of us have had bad management calling shots where we ignore them and tune them out knowing eventually we find a new job or they will Bullshit their way to another position. Same thing here just on a more visable scale.

That said it may not have been Pete as much as Bevell and Cable and possibly Richard suppoorting it in some degree. Pete cleaned house on both sides however so there was something to all of it. He maintained his course with new coaches and players and it's working again, lesson learned don't keep players that feel they are bigger then the team and hold coaches accountable.

justafan

Reaction score
chris98251":2kzw30pm said:
justafan":2kzw30pm said:
pittpnthrs":2kzw30pm said:
Sgt. Largent":2kzw30pm said:

You can lose the locker room and still have guys do their job, they may bitch, and yes it effects play that extra effort and drive that you feel when you have a feeling of all in and together. The bitch effect carries over to others eventually since it's always there. Most of us have had bad management calling shots where we ignore them and tune them out knowing eventually we find a new job or they will Bullshit their way to another position. Same thing here just on a more visable scale.

That said it may not have been Pete as much as Bevell and Cable and possibly Richard suppoorting it in some degree. Pete cleaned house on both sides however so there was something to all of it. He maintained his course with new coaches and players and it's working again, lesson learned don't keep players that feel they are bigger then the team and hold coaches accountable.

I will disagree.These guys arent the same type that are at my job or yours, we are talking about the most competitive people on the planet playing for pride and millions of dollars. You dont get in the playoffs or compete at that level if you quit.And thats what we are talking about is quitting on the coach. When a coach has lost the team you end up like Cleveland. This team didnt quit or mail it in. The chemistry,luck,fate magic or whatever it is that separates Champions from contenders wasnt there.We didnt have the talent as the best after 2015 but they always played hard I believe.

chris98251

Reaction score
justafan":7k7mk5d8 said:
chris98251":7k7mk5d8 said:
justafan":7k7mk5d8 said:
pittpnthrs":7k7mk5d8 said:

I will disagree.These guys arent the same type that are at my job or yours, we are talking about the most competitive people on the planet playing for pride and millions of dollars. You dont get in the playoffs or compete at that level if you quit.And thats what we are talking about is quitting on the coach. When a coach has lost the team you end up like Cleveland. This team didnt quit or mail it in. The chemistry,luck,fate magic or whatever it is that separates Champions from contenders wasnt there.We didnt have the talent as the best after 2015 but they always played hard I believe.

If your heart isn't in something because you think you are getting lip service it doesn't matter how much money your making, you just don't push the limits if you don't believe in something.

justafan

Reaction score
Occams razor. The loss of good coaches, free angency,injuries, bad OL, no RBS and missed field goals and you have a good team finish 9-7.

Its just the facts of the roster changes from our SB win until the last mihute fg loss ended last season. We dont need to make up another narrative or excuse.