WR Bryan Walters signs with Jaguars

Jville

Reaction score
There are going to have to be some serious upgrades in the return blocking before anyone looks good as return men.

When blocking is deficient, the decision to fair catch supports taking care of the football ..... the #1 goal on game day.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
DavidSeven":32e51y4f said:
Tough crowd.

He did exactly what was asked of him. Considering every single other player we've had returning kicks/punts was an unmitigated disaster, I give Walters props for his sure hands and decision-making. He had just a few decent returns, no game-breakers, but no costly mistakes either. Even Percy Harvin can't say that (his fumble in SD might've cost us that game).

Catching that ball clean ain't the easiest job in the world. Ask Earl or Doug.

Agreed.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
How many punts would you attempt to return when you regularly have two gunners standing right in front of you waiting to shake your hand before the ball has even finishing coming down? Walters did what he was asked, didn't make any mistakes, broke off a few nice returns here and there, was a reliable albeit rarely-used slot receiver, and a great teammate/scout team guy. He doesn't deserve the snarks he's gotten in this thread, and he'll bring a lot more to the Jags program than any gross punt return yardage stats will suggest.

JonRud

Reaction score
Hey I have no problem w/ Walters. he is who he is and did exactly what the coaches asked of him which was to not turn the ball over. Kudos to him.

That doesn't mean that we can't hope to have a more explosive returner who can get a big return once in a while and help change field position. Tate was a huge weapon doing that and it would nice to find someone like him.

I don't think anyone is bashing Walters, he is a limited player who did a nice job in his role with the team. I wish him the best.

Barthawk

Reaction score
JonRud":fbraoi91 said:
Hey I have no problem w/ Walters. he is who he is and did exactly what the coaches asked of him which was to not turn the ball over. Kudos to him.

That doesn't mean that we can't hope to have a more explosive returner who can get a big return once in a while and help change field position. Tate was a huge weapon doing that and it would nice to find someone like him.

I don't think anyone is bashing Walters, he is a limited player who did a nice job in his role with the team. I wish him the best.

^ Exactly Jon. Walters being able to stick around on our roster for the better part of two seasons is pretty amazing and also an indictment of how average or WR core was/is. Regardless, the man has made over 1.5M so far in the NFL which is quite a bit of damn money for a guy with average NFL talent.

Jville

Reaction score
JonRud":ylh48cu6 said:

Two years ago (for Tate) they had effective blocking for the return game. Last year their return blocking was deficient.

That was the deciding difference between 2013 and 2014 .... those other 10 guys on the field.

rcaido

Reaction score
Seem like a good guy, wish him the best of luck!

BlueBlood

Reaction score
That one guy on the Seahawks championship teams that never did a damn thing.

Laloosh

Reaction score
storm74":1ummnn85 said:
I want to know who in the hell we are going to throw the reverse bubble screen to now?

BJ Daniels, duh!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Any idea of the contract numbers and whether the team may score a comp pick from his signing?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ojbscqr said:
Say what you want about the fair catches, one thing I can give the guy is that he never flubbed a punt that ended up hurting us.

When you have a defense like ours, giving the opponent a chance to score without involving the defense really hurts.

As we are aware from some of those kickoff fumbles we had in a few important games.

The question is whether an additional 10 yards is worth the risk of giving the ball back.

I used to hate the fair catches he made, but after a while I was OK with it because at least it assured our offense was getting the ball and we weren't giving up any points without the defense having a say in the matter.
I saw him flub a couple but he or someone on the team recovered it so tech wise no he never gave up a fumble.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Lots of negativity about 'Ol' fair catch', but none of know what his instruction were from PC or the ST coach, perhaps several here need to be more charitable.

I'm happy he got signed elsewhere so he's got a job and he'll be in the mix for comp consideration as a FA loss. I wish him luck and thank him for his time here.

Hopefully the team can acquire a legit return man that does more than just fair catch. Holding onto the ball though is not to be underestimated.

netskier

Reaction score
He did beat out Earl Thomas and Doug Baldwin for that job, so why are so many here so critical of him when he competed and won?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Jville":2p82r8q6 said:
20150313-walters.jpg

“There are a lot of good players here,” Walters said. “It’s just a matter of picking somewhere you’re comfortable, and I think it’s going to be a good fit. I feel like I haven’t even touched what I can do in this league. The opportunity is the big thing for me. I feel like that’s all I need, is to get to a place where I can play. That’s why I’m excited to be here.” ...........
......... “The culture (Head Coach) Gus Bradley has brought here reminds me of Seattle, as far as the positive atmosphere and competing,” Walters said. “It’s just exciting. It’s up and coming. It’s a young team. There’s a lot of potential here and also a lot of opportunity.”
[urltargetblank]http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/%E2%80%9915-free-agency-Jaguars-sign-WRPR-Bryan-Walters/280c375e-28f5-4c64-aae4-8f22c312549b[/urltargetblank]
Translation: The talent level on the Jags is not so high that I worry about being cut constantly.

kearly

Reaction score
Largent80":2zywa5r6 said:
Nothing against the guy but I'm happy he's gone.

This.

He did exactly what he was asked to do. And what he was asked to do held the team back. It's less an indictment on Walters and more on the FO for putting themselves in a position where they had to rely on replacement level WRs and kick returners so much last season.