WR DRAFT PICKS: Paul Richardson Vs. Kevin Norwood

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":1p0srm1u said:
Sgt. Largent":1p0srm1u said:
Largent80":1p0srm1u said:
Is it ok to like 'em both?

We can't do that here, we have to pick sides and then argue for 37 pages!

Richardson has the biggest upside, could be a Shady McCoy.........or could be another Deon Butler. But Norwood has the stability we need in a big outside receiver. I could see him playing 10 years and catching 75 balls a year with 7-8 TD's. Good red zone target.

Which means Rice is going to have a very hard time making this roster if Norwood has a good camp.

Those stats for Norwood would make him the best Seahawks WR ever.

You must be a newer fan;

SteveLargent

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":z9r05i17 said:
Largent80":z9r05i17 said:

Richardson has the biggest upside, could be a Shady McCoy.........or could be another Deon Butler. But Norwood has the stability we need in a big outside receiver. I could see him playing 10 years and catching 75 balls a year with 7-8 TD's. Good red zone target.

Which means Rice is going to have a very hard time making this roster if Norwood has a good camp.

I agree. Infact I think it's more likely that Norwood has the more immediate impact in 2014. With Richardson performing spot duty- in the 30 catch range with a high YPC, I see Norwood taking over the Rice role and being a solid 35-40 catch player this year. I'm really excited for both players and I'm confident both will make the team.

Infact I think there's a change 7-8 of the 9 draft picks make the team. The more the better IMO.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Let's give the guy a chance to make the team before making comparisons to Largent. Even though it's a virtual certainty that he will be eclipsed eventually if for nothing else because of the current rules.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":lsaao5cs said:
Let's give the guy a chance to make the team before making comparisons to Largent. Even though it's a virtual certainty that he will be eclipsed eventually if for nothing else because of the current rules.

No one compared him to Largent.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":efmkiqir said:
MizzouHawkGal":efmkiqir said:

No one compared him to Largent.
McGruff mentioned the fact that statistically he would be the best Seahawk WR ever and you posted a Largent picture. How is not to be inferred as such? It's not a fair comparision anyway because the rules make it to where it's commonplace for 300 yards passing and 1000 yard WR's and the good ones get 400 yards passing fairly often even 500 yards rarely and WR's are getting 1500 yds sometimes 2000. That wasn't possible in Largent's day.

If the rules where like pre 1980's we would be seeing 1600 yards for RB's as the baseline for being considered good and 2500 as elite. But it isn't happening because the rules demand and in fact give a huge advantage to passing the ball rather then running it 30-40 times a game.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16prkodx said:
McGruff":16prkodx said:
Sgt. Largent":16prkodx said:
Largent80":16prkodx said:

Those stats for Norwood would make him the best Seahawks WR ever.

You must be a newer fan;

SteveLargent

Far from it . . . but the numbers quoted would put Norwood just a hair behind Largent in every statistical category. I guess I would still put Steve at the top, but it would be close considering Steve did it in 13 years, and the numbers above were over 10.

I'm just pointing out the fact that the poster speculated 75 catches a years with 7-8 TD's per like it was "pedestrian" when in fact it would make Norwood one on, if not the, best ever for our team.

JMO, but Norward tops out at probably a 40 catch guy in our offense.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I would say that Norwood might have a better chance of receiving more playing time, I can easily see a situation where they either keep him or Rice, since they are the same style of receiver. Richardson will probably back up Harvin, and see situational looks. Unless he gets the punt return duties. Richardson is a much more electric player, so I would be most excited to see him play, but Norwood is solid and so I would love it if he either beats out Rice, or steals some snaps from him later on in the season.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Both were team captains for their respective programs; that's something Schneider emphasized today. They are natural leaders and competitive players.

Richardson will be a natural at flanker and in the slot. Norwood will probably be best at split end, competing with Kearse and Rice. One of the scouts did say he preferred Norwood at flanker.

drrew

Reaction score
Richardson lined up outside, Harvin in the slot next to him.

Harvin goes horizontal as if he's running the fly sweep. Richardson runs a post pattern.

That's going to put an unbelievable amount of pressure on the safety to make the right call. One wrong half misstep and its 6.

joeshaney

Reaction score
The receiver I am most excited about is Percy Harvin.
He happens to be injury prone though. Therefore, I couldn't be more excited with our first draft pick.

If Harvin remains healthy our offense will thrive and both Richardson and Norwood will be matchup based WRs (IMO) much like Kearse and Baldwin late last year. I am excited about the potential for a depth of diverse skilled WRs. I feel like after Rice and Harvin went down.....we still had a few good players, but depth, speed and versatility was extremely limited.

A healthy Harvin and Baldwin is a good duo. Richardson, Kearse, Norwood, and a load of other competing players should give us 4 great complimentary role players. Rice is the wildcard because the only way he makes the team (IMO) is if he is can firmly claim a starting spot alongside Percy. My meaningless prediction:

Harvin
Baldwin
Richardson
Kearse
Norwood
Lockette, Bates or Matthews

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Since you brought Harvin up, is he healthy? I haven't seen or heard a thing about him other than the news that he would miss the Cali workouts due to his fathers untimely passing.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Before the draft I really felt that our WR position was quite thin...and I think most would agree with me. But now? Look, I think it's unrealistic to expect too much from rookie WR's, but HOLY CRAP, I really like the potential of this group. Given the very workman-like attitude of the corp, I think we may have an extremely effective unit. Extremely. Assuming the rookies rise to the occasion, I see the unit looking like this:

1. Harvin (duh)
2. Baldwin (duh)
3. Rice
4. Kearse
5. Richardson
6. Norwood

Rice in particular is on the bubble, and I think Lockette or Matthews could possibly push him off the squad. Rice really needs to show up in camp, that's for sure, and competition will be fierce. To me, the best case scenario is that he makes a big comeback this season and we manage to trade one of the other guys for a late pick next year (unlikely, but some teams don't want to risk losing a guy they like to waivers). Long term, I see both Richardson and Norwood pushing Kearse and Baldwin in a big way. Fingers crossed!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2wwx42gr said:
Since you brought Harvin up, is he healthy? I haven't seen or heard a thing about him other than the news that he would miss the Cali workouts due to his fathers untimely passing.

No one knows. But probably another reason for drafting Richardson, insurance against another Harvin injury.

Obviously Richardson is a hell of a lot more slight than Harvin, but they can do some of the same things speed wise.......most importantly just being on the field means safeties can't creep up in the box to stop Beastmode.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3dvtdfim said:
My take is no news is good news. (Though he isn't actually injury prone so I never have gotten why it keeps getting brought up).

On the otherhand it's never a bad idea to have insurance hence Richardson. Though that isn't the primary reason he was drafted. He was drafted for one reason, to take the top off defenses like a Mike Wallace or Desean Jackson. Basically to stop the stacked boxes against Lynch.

TwilightError

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1nijv8jf said:
1. Harvin (duh)
2. Baldwin (duh)
3. Rice
4. Kearse
5. Richardson
6. Norwood
!

This. Although Pete always makes a surprise move regarding receivers, so seeing these guys in the 53 seems unlikely :D It is also likely that one of these will start the season on IR or something.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I don't think Norwood is quite the lock to make this roster that everyone else does. He has potential... but so did Chris Harper.

Lets see how he looks in game action first.

Richardson meanwhile excites the hell out of me. Him and Harvin on the field at the same time is just so scary.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3riv2y72 said:
I don't think Norwood is quite the lock to make this roster that everyone else does. He has potential... but so did Chris Harper.

Lets see how he looks in game action first.

Richardson meanwhile excites the hell out of me. Him and Harvin on the field at the same time is just so scary.

Norwood and Harper aren't even comparable. Infact both Harper and Durham had the same thing in common, both were raw players with only 1 decent year of production.

Norwood is a much more polished player and a better route runner than either of those 2. I think he's got a great chance of making the team I see him as the future replacement of Kearse who wlll be gone after 2015.