WR Kasen Williams signed

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It's going to be a hell of a battle to make the 53-man roster as a WR. Last year, we carried seven receivers even though a lot of people thought we wouldn't.

Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett, and Jermaine Kearse can be pencilled in obviously. Paul Richardson would make it also, if he is not added to the PUP list to give him more time to bounce back from his ACL injury.

In addition, Ricardo Lockette (special teams) and Chris Matthews will probably make it. So that is five or six WRs right there, depending on Richardson's status.

Then you have Kevin Norwood, Douglas McNeil, Kasen Williams, David Gilreath, and Kevin Smith all battling for any remaining spots.

I think we could carry six receivers and four TEs (Graham, Willson, Helfet, McCoy) this year with Jimmy Graham playing both roles.

McNeil, Williams, and Smith all have practice squad eligibility. Norwood does not; Matthews does but I doubt we would risk losing him. McNeil could have a big camp and then get swooped up by another team or maybe he takes Norwood's spot. Williams looks like a likely practice squad addition.

canfan

Reaction score
Jville":3sjm2unt said:
^^^^^ Yes ........

Saturday afternoon read on Kasen Williams >>> [urltargetblank]http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2014/08/27/kasen-williams-and-the-gray-area-between-attacking-and-protecting-the-target/[/urltargetblank]

That link was great! Thank you so much for posting it. It gave me a better understanding of the player.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Isn't B.J Daniels also in camp as a receiver/Special Team's player?
Does he have a better shot at 3rd QB than as WR/Returner?
I don't want to be the guy cutting players ... this is going to be brutal. We might see some Big names or high draft picks get cut.
Another thing to look at is the RW contract. The more money we pay him, the higher chance some high pick might be cut to clear cap? Basically, an extra million for RW could mean ... Norwood is cut in favor of some minimum wage guy to balance the book? Does it make sense?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1tyalbh1 said:
Isn't B.J Daniels also in camp as a receiver/Special Team's player?
Does he have a better shot at 3rd QB than as WR/Returner?
I don't want to be the guy cutting players ... this is going to be brutal. We might see some Big names or high draft picks get cut.
Another thing to look at is the RW contract. The more money we pay him, the higher chance some high pick might be cut to clear cap? Basically, an extra million for RW could mean ... Norwood is cut in favor of some minimum wage guy to balance the book? Does it make sense?

Not really because Norwood's salary over the next couple years ($600-700k) is not much higher than that of an undrafted player. There's only a $100k difference between Norwood and McNeil/Williams.

Hawks46

Reaction score
6'1" and 219 almost sounds like an Anquan Boldin. How fast is Williams ?

Blaze

Reaction score
PRO DAY RESULTS
Listed @ 6'3 and 217lbs
40-yard dash: 4.6 seconds
Vertical jump: 35 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 11 inches
Short shuttle: 4.46 seconds
3-cone: 7.1 seconds
Bench: 17 reps of 225 pounds

McGruff

Reaction score
hawknation2015":hce73iju said:
It's going to be a hell of a battle to make the 53-man roster as a WR. Last year, we carried seven receivers even though a lot of people thought we wouldn't.

Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett, and Jermaine Kearse can be pencilled in obviously. Paul Richardson would make it also, if he is not added to the PUP list to give him more time to bounce back from his ACL injury.

In addition, Ricardo Lockette (special teams) and Chris Matthews will probably make it. So that is five or six WRs right there, depending on Richardson's status.

Then you have Kevin Norwood, Douglas McNeil, Kasen Williams, David Gilreath, and Kevin Smith all battling for any remaining spots.

I think we could carry six receivers and four TEs (Graham, Willson, Helfet, McCoy) this year with Jimmy Graham playing both roles.

McNeil, Williams, and Smith all have practice squad eligibility. Norwood does not; Matthews does but I doubt we would risk losing him. McNeil could have a big camp and then get swooped up by another team or maybe he takes Norwood's spot. Williams looks like a likely practice squad addition.

I think this is being generous to several vets. Richardson availability will dictate a lot. If he can play, a guy like Kearse is on the bubble. Richardson was out playing him late last year.

The only locks I see are Doug, Tyler and Paul.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawks46":15rfgrvb said:
6'1" and 219 almost sounds like an Anquan Boldin. How fast is Williams ?

Their measurables are similar but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Blaze":2jxbbpj9 said:
PRO DAY RESULTS
Listed @ 6'3 and 217lbs

Question not to the poster, but to the class.....What is his reach/wingspan.....Enquiring Seahawks Fans want to know. LOL :lol:

Hawks46

Reaction score
Blaze":3hw4x7v4 said:
PRO DAY RESULTS
Listed @ 6'3 and 217lbs

Hmm, ok so 6'3" 217 is a hell of a lot different than 6'1" 219. 4.6 forty is comparable to Boldin's out of college as well.

No, I'm not saying he's going to be that good, just that originally someone posted his physical measurables as very simlar to Boldin's. 6'3" and a 4.6 isn't spectacular, but this will be an interesting watch in camp.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1ryajjho said:
Blaze":1ryajjho said:
PRO DAY RESULTS
Listed @ 6'3 and 217lbs

Question not to the poster, but to the class.....What is his reach/wingspan.....Enquiring Seahawks Fans want to know. LOL :lol:

Not sure if serious but Williams has good arm length: 32 inches.

His hands are a bit small: 8 1/4 inches, tied for the smallest hands for a WR in this draft.

Similar arm length to Kearse, but Kearse's hands are an inch bigger.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/01/20 ... s-weights/

netskier

Reaction score
I got my info from the seahawks roster page, which has been updated to six three, 217 pounds, so scratch my earlier note that he was six one from the earlier version of the same source.

Kasen gives us five WR candidates in the range of six two to six five.

Got tall defensive backs to cover them coming at you in swarms?

Got milk? That is easier to get.

seahawksny

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2nj2o0dl said:
Seafan":2nj2o0dl said:
The Year of the Tall Receiver continues. Let the games begin....
Superbowl! Seriously, I'm happy they're still trying to get that tall receiver Pete craves. Maybe if one of them actually steps up in combination with Graham Wilson might actually stop holding the ball so long and go for the kill move like he does when the game is on the line.

Im not sold on graham ad the idea that wilson now has big threats. I mean didn't he get to two straight SB without that help?
Him "holding the ball" is one the many things that makes him so dangerous

hawknation2015

Reaction score
netskier":1sqtq7cw said:
I got my info from the seahawks roster page, which has been updated to six three, 217 pounds, so scratch my earlier note that he was six one from the earlier version of the same source.

Kasen gives us five WR candidates in the range of six two to six five.

Got tall defensive backs to cover them coming at you in swarms?

Got milk? That is easier to get.

There's no way he's actually 6'3 . . . he's a little UNDER 6'2.

netskier

Reaction score
So that means the Seahawks website is not reliable. Noted.

Still, even a six one muscular leaper can be tough to cover unless you can matchup physically somehow.

I also note from the now discredited web page that both of out well known, super quick, slot receivers, Baldwin and Lockett, are not really short either, with both listed at five ten.

Our WR group can now supersaturate defenses with height, even before we add in Graham.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3bp6540h said:
Seahawkfan80":3bp6540h said:
Blaze":3bp6540h said:
PRO DAY RESULTS
Listed @ 6'3 and 217lbs

Not sure if serious but Williams has good arm length: 32 inches.

His hands are a bit small: 8 1/4 inches, tied for the smallest hands for a WR in this draft.

Similar arm length to Kearse, but Kearse's hands are an inch bigger.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/01/20 ... s-weights/

Yes I was. Thanks. :thirishdrinkers:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Any UW fan will remember the '12 season opening win against Stanford where Kasen basically carried the safety with him for the winning score. His routes need work and he isn't particularly fast but he is a strong guy who loves to get physical with opposing cornerbacks, whether that is enthusiastic run blocking or out-muscling them for contested passes.

There's a spot for a guy like that on our roster if he is truly healthy, however he failed a physical with the Bengals only a month or so ago.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
We're only going to have space for 6-7 WRs on the 53 man roster and there are so many players to choose from. Baldwin and Kearse seem like locks as they were our starters last year. Tyler Lockett has been hyped up a lot and we're at least going to need his services as a returner. Ricardo Lockett had the highest average yards per catch last year and he was our best gunner, with the added focus on special teams this year I doubt they'll cut him either. Richardson was being groomed to become our next star receiver and was actually living up to the hype untill he got injured, if he doesn't end up on IR or PUP he'll surely be a part of the 53-man roster. Then we have Chris Matthews, the break-out star of the Superbowl who perfectly fits the bill for a true WR1, if he can keep performing on the same level he'll definitely make the roster as well.

That's 5-6 near locks depending on how fast Richardson recovers. It's also good to note that there might actually be only 6 WRs this year and 4 TEs with Graham often lining up as a WR and Carroll wanting to try out TE-sets. That would mean that MAYBE one out of Daniels, McNeil, Norwood, Hill, Gilreath and Williams could make the roster and that's only if Paul isn't ready for the start of the regular season.

So it's a nice signing and all but I doubt Kasen will make it past the practice squad.

McGruff

Reaction score
Being a starter on a poor WR roster doesn't mean Kearse is a lock, or even a near lock. He's not so good that guys like Richardson, Lockett, Matthews or Norwood can't leap in front on him . . . and at his tendered salary and limited upside, being 4th on the depth chart just isn't worth it.

Same goes for Lockette.

IMO we have three locks . . . Baldwin, Lockett and Richardson (PUP or otherwise). After that it is a dog fight between Matthews, Norwood and Kearse.

I think ideal starting three are Richardson, Lockett and Baldwin . . . but a case could be made for Matthews in there as well.

Latest posts