Your favorite baseball players from the past and present...

BASF

Reaction score
Kind of amazed no one has said Kirby Puckett. Hands down the poster boy for he loves what he does. That man had a smile on his face that you knew was genuine.

Tony Gwynn, Eddie Murray, Greg Maddux, Lou Whittaker.

Ozzie Smith would belong on this list but I absolutely hated how he would make the All Star team all the time as such a poor hitter.

I gave up on baseball after the greed strike of '94.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I love your list BASF.

Griffey will always be my #1 and it's not even close. Big Barry Larkin, Puckett, Smith and Gwynn fan as well.

My favorite birthday was in ~1994 when I got to see the Reds play the Cardinals and saw Larkin AND Smith. Awesome time.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Steve Garvey, Fernando, Mike Scioscia

For the others: The Kid, Will Clark, Nolan, George Brett.

endzorn

Reaction score
Uncle Si":36wevghd said:
endzorn":36wevghd said:
Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, Nails Dykstra, Dale Murphy, HoJo and Doc Gooden were my idols as a 10-12 year old and remain among my favorites today.

you a Met's fan by chance?

I was living in NY during the early, mid 80s. 1985-86 was a big year for sports there. had the Knicks with Ewing, the Rangers run to the semis, Simms and the Giants Super Bowl win and the Mets beating the Red Sox.
I'm a Cubs fan, but as a kid I loved watching HoJo and Gooden. Doc was almost mythological to a kid.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
George Brett- because he was a screaming double waiting to happen every time he stepped to the plate-Did the Royals ever get to the post-season?

Ron Guidry- because he was Cajun and threw like a maniac for a guy around 5-10 and 170lb

Rob Dibble- because in his prime it was simply over- quickly

George Foster- because he had one incredible year for the Big Red Machine- and a lot of real good ones he never got much credit for

And I gotta throw in young healthy Griffey as simply the most electric ballplayer I've seen

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1j4f089a said:
George Brett- because he was a screaming double waiting to happen every time he stepped to the plate-Did the Royals ever get to the post-season?..........
World Series champs in '85 and also made the playoffs several other times in his career.
This from Wiki on the '85 season:

In 1985, Brett had another brilliant season in which he helped propel the Royals to their second American League Championship. He batted .335 with 30 home runs and 112 RBI, finishing in the top 10 of the league in 10 different offensive categories. Defensively, he won his only Gold Glove. In the final week of the regular season, he went 9-for-20 at the plate with 7 runs, 5 homers, and 9 RBI in six crucial games, five of them victories, as the Royals closed a gap and won the division title at the end. He was MVP of the 1985 playoffs against the Toronto Blue Jays, with an incredible Game 3. With KC down in the series two games to none, Brett went 4-for-4, homering in his first two at bats against Doyle Alexander, and doubled to the same spot in right field in his third at bat, leading the Royals' comeback. Brett then batted .370 in the World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals including a four-hit performance in Game 7. The Royals again rallied from a 3–1 deficit to become World Series Champions for the first time in Royals history.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Current: Albert Pujols. I despise baseball now, but I still keep up with how he's doing.

Past: Had some but they are now lost to my bias. I wonder what I would have said as a kid (besides Griffey Jr.? Frank Thomas, maybe?