Players you liked who played for teams you didn't like

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Inspired by @AnimeAmore's thread on players you didn't like when they were playing, but came to like (or at least not dislike so much) after they retired, I want to start another one on a related topic.

Have there been any players you liked when they were playing, even though you disliked the teams for which they played?

My dad really disliked two teams: the Cowboys and the Raiders. In the case of the Cowboys, he disliked the way they got so much media attention and he really disliked the "America's team" nonsense. In the case of the Raiders, it was their openly dirty play and the fact that their fans reveled in it. I think he disliked Al Davis too.

So you can imagine my shock when Dad was telling me about George Blanda, and I could see that Dad really respected and even liked Blanda. I said something about Blanda having played many years for the Raiders, and my dad said that he respected Blanda so much that he couldn't ignore it just because Blanda was with the Raiders for so long.
Similarly (but obviously in a different sport), Dad disliked the Red Sox, but respected and even liked Ted Williams.

I can think of a few NFL players that I liked even though I didn't like their teams.
There were Patriots players that I came to like because my neighbor, the town police chief's son who taught me how to play football, liked them so much and managed to show me why, like John "Hog" Hannah, John Adams, and Julius Adams. I went back and forth on Sam "Bam" Cunningham.
We used to call for long passes in neighborhood pickup games as "Grogan to Francis," referring to the Patriots QB and Pro-Bowl tight end, but I have to admit I never really liked Grogan, and while I thought Francis was pretty good at what he did, I was never more than lukewarm on him.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
I grew up in Chicago as a Bears fan in the late-50s and 60s... so for me, it was ANY quarterback in the league not named Bill Wade, Rudy Bukich, Jack Concannon, Virgil Carter or Bobby Douglass. Need I go on?
Except for passing Bobby Douglass was one hell of a quarterback. The game has changed a bit since the 70s.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
It was before my time, but I enjoy reading up on the Baltimore Colts. You wanna talk about a franchise that has a bittersweet history of highs and lows? it's those colts. Both for the players and their fanbase.

In 1968 their team was so good. Argueably one of the best ever to not win the championship. Only to lose to the Jets in the Super Bowl after being 19 1/2 point favorites which is just insane to me. Earl Morrall played so bad and was relieved by Unitas. Then Shula left and history changed for the league. Then they won the championship 2 years later anyways vs the Cowboys.

When it comes to players, Art Donovan was hilarious. Who also played for the Colts.

Last edited:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It was before my time, but I enjoy reading up on the Baltimore Colts. You wanna talk about a franchise that has a bittersweet history of highs and lows? it's those colts. Both for the players and their fanbase.

In 1968 their team was so good. Argueably one of the best ever to not win the championship. Only to lose to the Jets in the Super Bowl after being 19 1/2 point favorites which is just insane to me. Earl Morrall played so bad and was relieved by Unitas. Then Shula left and history changed for the league. Then they won the championship 2 years later anyways vs the Cowboys.

When it comes to players, Art Donovan was hilarious. Who also played for the Colts.

The Colts had such studs... Unitas, Raymond Berry, Jimmy Orr, Alan Ameche, Lennie Moore, John Mackey, Tom Matte. I was so envious.

My Bears had nobody close to ANY of those guys... UNTIL the 1967 draft (my senior year in HS) when they scored with drafting both Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Except for passing Bobby Douglass was one hell of a quarterback. The game has changed a bit since the 70s.

I went through all those years, too. Douglas was like Fields. (So far, at least) — strong arm, good runner, but lacking some critical passing skills. Abe Gibron bitterly called Douglas “a coach killer.” Eberflus may be headed the same direction after 12 straight losses with no end in sight.

OP
OP
Lagartixa

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The Colts had such studs... Unitas, Raymond Berry, Jimmy Orr, Alan Ameche, Lennie Moore, John Mackey, Tom Matte. I was so envious.

My mom used to tell me stories about Super Bowl V and the days before it. I wish I'd asked why we were there, but it didn't occur to me to ask until I was thinking about the story after Mom was gone. In any case, I was less than two years old at the time of Super Bowl V, and as I understand it, we were in or near the hotel where the Colts players were staying in Miami. I don't know if we stayed at that hotel or not. According to my mom, I was reaching toward Mackey, and Mackey put me on his shoulders. And Mom made sure to tell me that Mackey made a huge catch in the big game.
My Bears had nobody close to ANY of those guys... UNTIL the 1967 draft (my senior year in HS) when they scored with drafting both Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers.
My dad really liked both of those players. He told me about both a lot. I think he talked about Butkus more than Sayers, but he mentioned Sayers a bunch of times.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It surprises me a little that you dislike(d) the Lions. Have you been a fan of one of their past or current division rivals?
I grew up in SW Michigan where there was a mix of Lions and Bears fans (more of the latter because we got Chicago TV). Walter Payton is still my all-time favorite, but I have great respect for Barry.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Mile Alstott, FB.
Gilbert Brown, DL.
TY Law, DB.
Reggie White, DL.
LT, RB.
Maurice Jone-Drew, RB.

BALLERS. I like Gilbert Brown because he was the heaviest player in QB Club 98', haha. No one could block him in that game.