Zags 2016/2017 Thread

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
JSeahawks":343aosaw said:
nate, you must do great with the ladies cuz you're one sensitive dude.
Just responding to all the pat pat yeah your good but comments and excuses from those in this thread who just can't break free from their preconcieved idea of who Gonzaga is.

For example from Hawk Lock: It will be the same old story for Gonzaga. Top 25 team all year, advance a round or two in the NCAA tournament and then get bounced. WRONG

Hawk Lock:Zags are a good team, but it will be the same old song and dance for them. They will get rewarded with a high seed, make it to the second weekend, but once they play a really good battle tested team like a Kentucky or North Carolina, they will lose. Zags get no help from playing garbage teams for 3 months straight and then having to play the big boys. WRONG

Hawk Lock:As much as I like this team, I don't like them to make a deep run like a lot of other people expect. They don't have the dominating guard play that can take you far in March. NWG, Mathews, and Perkins are nice, but they aren't the type of guys who can carry a team on their back in the tourney. Nearly every recent national champion has had a dominant guard. WRONG

Jseahawks:Wouldnt be so sure about that. I bet whoever wins the pac 12 tourney is #1 seed out west now. UCLA, Arizona and Oregon all have better resumes. WRONG

Tical:Let's go Zags!! This is our year! Elite 8 or bust!! WRONG

Appropriately named Dopeboy: Gonzaga will lose to West Virginia tomorrow. You heard it here first. WRONG

Tical: lol at the thought of the Zags winning four straight against teams more athletic than them. WRONG

Josea16

Reaction score
So isn't this three teams in the Final Four for the first time? Or was that just coaches?

Crizilla

Reaction score
Josea16":1kzmhcs7 said:
So isn't this three teams in the Final Four for the first time? Or was that just coaches?

SC and Gonz are there for the first time, Oregon for the first time since 1939

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
By the way Jseahawks the team who has gotten the easiest path to the final four imo is Oregon. Creighton had lost their star player and were never the same.
Michigan was a 7 seed much like SC whom you call a breeze to beat and then a highly overrated Kansas team that has no inside game whatsoever( I said this before the tourney started in this same thread and had them losing in the elite eight).
See, anyone can play this game! Man, Oregon is the luckiest team to ever make the final four.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":bm47y9iu said:
JSeahawks":bm47y9iu said:
South Carolina. Zags should breeze into the final.
I hope your right, but SC is the second best defensive team in the nation (behind Gonzaga) and another extremely tough nosed and scrappy team(much like WVU) that absolutely destroyed Duke whom everyone was calling the best team in the nation before the tourney got underway.
This post smells like another Pac 12 honk trying to denigrate the Zags much like Hawk lock. If they make the championship its because they will have earned it.

Eyeball test says UO has the better d, saying the zags are tops is like compairing apples and oranges. And I don't think J was saying anything about he zags getting an easy draw.

Josea16

Reaction score
JSeahawks":311lwlii said:
Josea16":311lwlii said:

Ducks were in the first ever Final 4, and haven't been back since.
I thought they were so it's the coaches. Either way it's pretty cool and neat to have two West Coast teams with possibly two Southeast teams or one East and one Southeast team.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Natethegreat":18s1ucqg said:
By the way Jseahawks the team who has gotten the easiest path to the final four imo is Oregon. Creighton had lost their star player and were never the same.
Michigan was a 7 seed much like SC whom you call a breeze to beat and then a highly overrated Kansas team that has no inside game whatsoever( I said this before the tourney started in this same thread and had them losing in the elite eight).
See, anyone can play this game! Man, Oregon is the luckiest team to ever make the final four.

We never played Creightin.

I'd be perfectly fine if we played all 16 seeds. In 5 years you think anybody cares who was beaten along the way?

The tourney is not about beating the best, it's about beating who you play.

If you're worried about your street cred I'd happily switch places and let you play Kentucky or North Carolina and we'll play South Carolina

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm not going to keep going into this, because it is a never ending argument. Gonzaga is a great team. Easily one of the best five teams in the country. But I don't care what people say, they got a favorable draw. Beating a #16, #9, #4, #11, and a #7 seed to get to the championship game is very favorable. Oregon's run was much more difficult, and it's not even comparable. First of all, Oregon didn't play Creighton, they played RI. Rhode Island and Michigan were the two hottest teams going into the NCAA tournament. Both won their conference tournaments and had a ton of momentum. Then take into account Oregon beat a #1 seed to get into the Final Four, whereas Gonzaga beat a #11 seed. And you can call me biased, but I actually have more dislike for Oregon than Gonzaga. And I understand the theory of...."If you are a #11 seed (Xavier) and you beat a #3 seed (Florida St) and a #2 seed (Arizona) then you are a great team." March Madness is built for upsets, a bad team can beat a good team on any given night. If Xavier played Arizona in a 7-game series, Xavier probably lose that series more times than not. Are the Rams a great team because they beat the Seahawks nearly every season? No. Do I think South Carolina is one of the four best teams in the country? No. But they got hot at the right time and got favorable matchups. There is a reason why Gonzaga was a 8.5 point favorite over Xavier, whereas they likely would have been a pick'em against Arizona.

I'm just upset at Arizona for blowing that game away. I was really looking forward to a great Elite 8 game between Arizona and Gonzaga. FWIW, I think Zags probably would have won that game.

I think Zags beat SC, but won't be easy. SC is a good team that is playing good ball. If Zags win it all, then I give them all the respect they deserve. If you can beat Oregon/UNC/UK, then you're a champion.

And yes Nate, I was wrong about Gonzaga going into the tournament. I thought they would get bounced, because recent history told me so. I will happily eat my crow. But I didn't expect them to play such weak teams on their way there. If you told me they would play Northwestern, WVU, Xavier and SC, I would have chosen them to go to the final four.

GL to your Zags. I will be rooting for them and Oregon, as I want to see a westcoast matchup. If that does happen, I will root for Oregon as I like their style of play more and I'm very bitter of NWG leaving UW for Gonzaga.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
JSeahawks":11758nee said:
Natethegreat":11758nee said:

I'd be perfectly fine if we played all 16 seeds. In 5 years you think anybody cares who was beaten along the way?

If you're worried about your street cred I'd happily switch places and let you play Kentucky or North Carolina and we'll play South Carolina
I would pick the Zags against Kentucky all day. UNC not so much as they rebound the offensive glass extremely well and that is the one possible weakness the Zags have. That game would be close though.
Personally I'm rooting for an all west coast final. First because I think the Ducks are a great match up for us but also because I am a west coast guy and I would just like to see a west coast team win.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":b3rpubfk said:
JSeahawks":b3rpubfk said:
Natethegreat":b3rpubfk said:

I would pick the Zags against Kentucky all day. UNC not so much as they rebound the offensive glass extremely well and that is the one possible weakness the Zags have. That game would be close though.
Personally I'm rooting for an all west coast final. First because I think the Ducks are a great match up for us but also because I am a west coast guy and I would just like to see a west coast team win.

Agreed. Give me Zags over Kentucky any day. I'd probably take UNC over Gonzaga though.

Like J said, more power to you with the favorable draw. If I'm Gonzaga, I'd much rather have "weak street cred" and play SC than have to play UK or UNC.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Btw, I used to teach Nigel Williams Goss at happy valley elementary school before he went down to Nevada for high school, so I have a rooting interest in gonzaga too.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
It is pretty simple actually. If Gonzaga plays like they did against South Dakota State and Northwestern they lose.

If they play like they did against West Virginia, it is a toss up.

If they play like they did against Xavier, they will win.

Gonzaga has more all around team talent than anyone left in the field. If they play to their potential, they could win the whole thing.

As far as playing higher seeds to get to where they are, those other teams that would have given Gonzaga a "better game" are sitting at home licking their wounds.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Fun game. First full (well, mostly full) college basketball game I've watched this season . . . and maybe longer than that . . . the ending, while happy with the victory, reminded me why I seldom watch sports live anymore. Too tense!