Zags 2016/2017 Thread

Rat

Reaction score
Wow, what an awful game. Neither team could shoot and there was a whistle like every 20 seconds.

I don't see Gonzaga play often, has Karnowski always been this bad? He couldn't hit anything.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Rat":374c1207 said:
Wow, what an awful game. Neither team could shoot and there was a whistle like every 20 seconds.

I don't see Gonzaga play often, has Karnowski always been this bad? He couldn't hit anything.

That's our future right tackle you're talking about.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Biggest fraud title game I've ever seen. Could actually be worse than SB XL. I could even tell UNC was a little let down from the game. Sure, Zags could have shot better. Ok. So what? I think UNC actually shot worse. The entire game was a let down from the get-go. I'm not even really mad. After the first half I knew the fix was in.

Add this to the list of what PNW fans will talk about for YEARS to come. Congrats, Zags, though. You guys earned EVERYTHING this year and DESERVED to the National Champions.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I'm a UW fan. Don't like Gonzaga but I thought they got screwed. Refs sucked. I feel bad for Collins. Refs were horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Crizilla":1sf1zll8 said:
Biggest fraud title game I've ever seen. Could actually be worse than SB XL. I could even tell UNC was a little let down from the game. Sure, Zags could have shot better. Ok. So what? I think UNC actually shot worse. The entire game was a let down from the get-go. I'm not even really mad. After the first half I knew the fix was in.

Add this to the list of what PNW fans will talk about for YEARS to come. Congrats, Zags, though. You guys earned EVERYTHING this year and DESERVED to the National Champions.

I didn't watch the 1st half, but the 2nd half they were calling fouls because both teams were fouling at an alarming rate.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I just think that the refs screwed up any type of rhythm to have any type of basketball game. I am a huge Gonzaga fan and if you told me that Karnowski was going to look like Bozo the Clown the entire night I would have called you crazy.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
We played well the first half had the lead then the refs decided to foul out our front court and call millions of fouls and ruin the game. Awful reffing two good teams and terrible refs.

Also Meeks had a hand out of bounds when they gave UNC the ball. They could have checked on the monitor but did not. The Flagrant on Karno was also pathetic.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8igcLbVwAI7210.jpg:large

Crizilla

Reaction score
JSeahawks":24ix5oaa said:
These are all legit fouls.

Go to the eye doctor. I'm serious. Or get prescribed some ADD meds or something. You're living a lie.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The fouls they called on Collins were very ticky tack and he was the guy who was able to score underneath. I'm just irritated they took over the game. Karno struggled mightily all night long which was unfortunate.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Just wait until all the screenshots and articles come out about this game. This was the Devil's work.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Man, what a heartbreaking loss -- to come so close to winning it all and fall just short. Still, the Zags have nothing to hang their head about. They had one heck of a run this year and showed the entire nation that they most certainly deserve to be mentioned right up there with all the elite programs in college basketball.

That said, I DO have to agree that with those who are complaining about the referees in this game. I'm not usually one to complain about the refs ... but in this case, I believe this was a clear case of how the refs really impacted this game. That was SUCH an entertaining and hard fought battle by both teams in the 1st Half ... but in the 2nd Half, IMO the refs really got in the way of what had been a very entertaining game -- and by that I mean of BOTH TEAMS.

The rhythm of both teams clearly got affected by how tight and ticky-tack the refs were calling the game in the 2nd Half. IMO in so doing, they kind of robbed the nation of what had been a very good game up until that point. Now, I'm not going to make excuses and say THAT's the reason Gonzaga lost this game tonight. I AM going to say though that it clearly threw them off and took them out of their rhythm -- Collins fouling out was simply a blow that they couldn't overcome.

That's sports though -- you have to overcome adversity and be able to adapt to things like that. And in this case, North Carolina did ... and Gonzaga didn't. Bottom line.

Still as I said, the Zags have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Congratulations again on a fantastic season and good luck again next year. I fully believe that this team will be right there contending for the title again in 2018.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I agree with you. You have to overcome and we didn't. I just feel robbed of a good game and I have no idea who the better team is to be honest (there were bad calls both ways I do not dispute that at all). Our entire front court was in foul trouble on extremely ticky tack calls. It effected the game in a big way.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Yet another crushing and devastating defeat for a northwest team in a championship. My heart goes out to all the Zag players-you could just see the emotion and tears from them right after the game. They fought hard and battled to the end. Williams-Goss was a warrior out there.

On a down note, Karnowski was absolutely horrible all night. He looked lethargic, slow and rather lazy and cost the team dearly. 1 for 8 and 4 turnovers. Pathetic showing.

Fantastic season though Gonzaga. A run to remember. Come back hard next year.

253hawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3u0eq8qq said:
We played well the first half had the lead then the refs decided to foul out our front court and call millions of fouls and ruin the game. Awful reffing two good teams and terrible refs.

Also Meeks had a hand out of bounds when they gave UNC the ball. They could have checked on the monitor but did not. The Flagrant on Karno was also pathetic.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8igcLbVwAI7210.jpg:large

And the ref is RIGHT THERE.

This crew made NFL zebras look competent. There were more fouls that minutes played and almost more than there were FGs made. What a crapshow. The first half was so much better and had some rhythm to it...we're supposed to believe that both teams just said 'F-it' and decided to start hacking each other every 10 seconds in the second half? :roll:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
253hawk":2yen43me said:
Refs have absolutely destroyed this game in the second half. First half they let 'em play and now it's call every ticky-tack little thing.

Agreed. The announcers even said that the first 16 were ticky tack and within the first 6 mins of the second half they are in the bonus. The REFS Destroyed any opportunity for a chance to get a rhythm going. Basketball is a game of rhythm for a lot of the game. Yea...K did miss a few easy shots in the first half and first half of the second half, but he was doing ok on the line....speaking of line: Since they were both in the bonus, all ticky tack calls rewarded a shot at the foul line. If they had a chance to gain a balance and rhythm, then Zags could have gone on a run...but step in Refs and destroy it. Here is your cake 2 pts but you will not beat the NC Tarheels on my watch. I saw XL happening and at 8 mins left to go in the game, I went to bed and read a book. Saw this game before.....did not like it then, dont like it now. And people want paid refs in the nFL...heh. At least the book I am reading is decent enough so far.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
dopeboy206":99mkg9gt said:
I'm a UW fan. Don't like Gonzaga but I thought they got screwed. Refs sucked. I feel bad for Collins. Refs were horrible.

Why does being a UW fan mean you don't like Gonzaga? They play in totally different leagues and don't really overlap recruiting very much. In fact, when they have gone after the same guy UW normally gets him.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":3iscc0lh said:
JSeahawks":3iscc0lh said:
These are all legit fouls.

Go to the eye doctor. I'm serious. Or get prescribed some ADD meds or something. You're living a lie.
I was rooting for the zags but come on, the zags traveled at least 5-6 times that didn't get called and Karnowski lowers his shoulder and runs people over all night like Shaq used to. Was there ticky tack calls? For sure, but it went both ways. This was no where near as bad as XL, not even close. It was just badly refers both ways.

Threedee

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":yhvk3d5a said:
dopeboy206":yhvk3d5a said:

Why does being a UW fan mean you don't like Gonzaga? They play in totally different leagues and don't really overlap recruiting very much. In fact, when they have gone after the same guy UW normally gets him.

From listening to Softy a bit, I'd say it's just envy. I enjoy rooting for Gonzaga, the same as I enjoy rooting for Eastern Washington at football.

Personally, the rules of basketball irritate me a lot, making it difficult to prioritize watching it over other sports. If I had my way, there would be a lot more offensive fouls, and fewer defensive fouls. I suppose that would ruin the game for many people, but it would make more sense to me.

Latest posts