Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2018 Recruiting Thread

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The 2018 Recruiting Thread
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:19 am

• Yankoff and Sirmon are 4 stars
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:44 am
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:09 am
  • Sounds like Devon Williams is going to choose usc. Sewell Oregon. Ezeike UCLA.

Not set in stone, but that’s the feeling of Oregon’s staff.

Supposedly Williams has been telling both Oregon coaches and usc’s coaches that he was going to their school. Sounds like hometown is going to win out.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:43 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Sounds like Devon Williams is going to choose usc. Sewell Oregon. Ezeike UCLA.

Supposedly Williams has been telling both Oregon coaches and usc’s coaches that he was going to their school. Sounds like hometown is going to win out.

Solo announces at 9:00 this morning, I'm hearing good things about OG & ITS, DW has been around campus lately. Those 4 might take us to the limit.
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:46 am
  • Anajimmc wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Sounds like Devon Williams is going to choose usc. Sewell Oregon. Ezeike UCLA.

Solo announces at 9:00 this morning, I'm hearing good things about OG & ITS, DW has been around campus lately. Those 4 might take us to the limit.

I think in the future I might become a USC fan just for signing day, haha. Curious, what do you think about Helton getting an extension? Looking at usc boards, a lot of fans not very happy about it.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:52 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Anajimmc wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Sounds like Devon Williams is going to choose usc. Sewell Oregon. Ezeike UCLA.

I think in the future I might become a USC fan just for signing day, haha. Curious, what do you think about Helton getting an extension? Looking at usc boards, a lot of fans not very happy about it.

Fans are morons, we don't know S#!%. Helton is not flashy, he is not an extreme personality, he was not a big name when he was hired. All he's done is win, the kids love him, he's done and outstanding job of recruiting and stabilized the system. The only downside that I can think of is player development, and that's only because of a limited sample size. I see a lot of Coach Petersen in him, and that's a good thing.
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:38 am
  • KABOOOM!!!! Solomon is a Trojan. SC might have the best linebacker class in the nation. Later today we I'm hoping to say the same about defensive backs!!!!
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:46 am
  • Duck boards on full meltdown mode. It’s awesome.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:48 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Duck boards on full meltdown mode. It’s awesome.

Why's that?
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 am
  • Anajimmc wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Duck boards on full meltdown mode. It’s awesome.

Why's that?

Because most of them started being duck fans during the Chip Kelly era and at the slightest sign of adversity they freak out, whine and cry.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:54 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Duck boards on full meltdown mode. It’s awesome.

What a crazy few months it's been for Oregon fans. You were looking at maybe the greatest ever recruiting class in Oregon history about 60 days ago, it was easy top 10, maybe even higher, and I realize the sites still have Oregon around 15 right now, but it certainly doesn't feel like a top 15 class at the moment.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:58 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Anajimmc wrote:

Why's that?

Because most of them started being duck fans during the Chip Kelly era and at the slightest sign of adversity they freak out, whine and cry.

See, I'm right, fans are morons.
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 am
  • drrew wrote:

What a crazy few months it's been for Oregon fans. You were looking at maybe the greatest ever recruiting class in Oregon history about 60 days ago, it was easy top 10, maybe even higher, and I realize the sites still have Oregon around 15 right now, but it certainly doesn't feel like a top 15 class at the moment.

I’m actually pretty happy with the class. It kind of finished with a whimper rather then a bang like we were hoping too (although Sewell is still a pretty Big Bang!) but we’ve covered all our needs. The one thing the class is lacking is a natural pass rusher, which we could have used.

Ducks are only going to be at 75 total scholarships, so they have a lot of room to bring in senior transfers to fill holes if needed.

15ish isn’t where we thought we’d finish a couple months ago, but coming off two disappointing seasons and 3 coaching changes in this recruiting cycle, it’s pretty damn good. I’m excited to see what this staff can do for next years class.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:21 am
  • Jeremiah martin has commited to Texas A&m. Both ducks and huskies wanted him.
    Last edited by JSeahawks on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:23 am
  • Jeremiah Martin to Texas A&M so UW is done for this recruiting season.

Couldn't be much happier with the class. Lots of Poly kids, not sure whether that's a renewed focus or just how things fell.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 am
  • drrew wrote:Jeremiah Martin to Texas A&M so UW is done for this recruiting season.

Couldn't be much happier with the class. Lots of Poly kids, not sure whether that's a renewed focus or just how things fell.

Whether intentional or not , that’s a good look going into the next class. Those kids tend to like to play with other poly’s and Hawaii is loaded in this upcoming class.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:42 am
  • OG is a Trojan!!! Looking for 2 more dominos.
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:51 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    drrew wrote:

I’m actually pretty happy with the class. It kind of finished with a whimper rather then a bang like we were hoping too (although Sewell is still a pretty Big Bang!) but we’ve covered all our needs. The one thing the class is lacking is a natural pass rusher, which we could have used.

Ducks are only going to be at 75 total scholarships, so they have a lot of room to bring in senior transfers to fill holes if needed.

15ish isn’t where we thought we’d finish a couple months ago, but coming off two disappointing seasons and 3 coaching changes in this recruiting cycle, it’s pretty damn good. I’m excited to see what this staff can do for next years class.

If I was an Oregon fan I would be absolutely thrilled with this recruiting class, while it may not have turned out like they wanted, their expectations weren't very realistic anyway. Having said that, it was an excellent example of damage control.

The Oregon recruiting class was never going to be top-5 as reported in this thread. Top-5 classes have multiple 5-stars and a high ratio of 4-stars to 3-stars, Oregon never had that and was never going to have that. What Oregon had was a lot of recruits and a new coach dragging his former recruits across the country. For a NW school to attract those 5-stars that project into the upper echelons of recruiting they are probably going to have to win a national championship or two to have that kind of exposure.

The biggest problem Oregon has is that recruits are not picking them because they are good but because they are not. Oregon has gaping holes at positions of need and the higher-rated recruits are looking for early playing time. This is the opposite of why recruits choose the Alabama's, USC's and now Georgia. Even UDub, which went through a very significant downturn has revived and has recruits picking them for their winning outlook. Will that continue? Yes, at least for the immediate they look very good with all those QB's and a proven coaching staff but you have to keep winning.

And no, this isn't duck negativity or hatred, it's simple reality. College football is very cyclic and today's hero's can easily be tomorrow's goats. We all have our day in the barrel, and like I always say, "I don't seek humility, humility seeks me."
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:01 pm
  • We’ll never know but if Willie had stayed I bet it would have been top 5. But oh well, it’s cruitin, happy about the ones we got, not gonna worry about the ones we didn’t.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:03 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    drrew wrote:

If I was an Oregon fan I would be absolutely thrilled with this recruiting class, while it may not have turned out like they wanted, their expectations weren't very realistic anyway. Having said that, it was an excellent example of damage control.

The Oregon recruiting class was never going to be top-5 as reported in this thread. Top-5 classes have multiple 5-stars and a high ratio of 4-stars to 3-stars, Oregon never had that and was never going to have that. What Oregon had was a lot of recruits and a new coach dragging his former recruits across the country. For a NW school to attract those 5-stars that project into the upper echelons of recruiting they are probably going to have to win a national championship or two to have that kind of exposure.

The biggest problem Oregon has is that recruits are not picking them because they are good but because they are not. Oregon has gaping holes at positions of need and the higher-rated recruits are looking for early playing time. This is the opposite of why recruits choose the Alabama's, USC's and now Georgia. Even UDub, which went through a very significant downturn has revived and has recruits picking them for their winning outlook. Will that continue? Yes, at least for the immediate they look very good with all those QB's and a proven coaching staff but you have to keep winning.

And no, this isn't duck negativity or hatred, it's simple reality. College football is very cyclic and today's hero's can easily be tomorrow's goats. We all have our day in the barrel, and like I always say, "I don't seek humility, humility seeks me."

I am curious where you see the gaping holes for the ducks though? Starting 22 is going to be really solid, there are a few positions that don’t have great depth. But I don’t see any gaping holes.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:12 pm
  • Devon W is a Trojan, third domino!!!! FTFO!!! one more to go!!!!
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:17 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    drrew wrote:

I am curious where you see the gaping holes for the ducks though? Starting 22 is going to be really solid, there are a few positions that don’t have great depth. But I don’t see any gaping holes.

C'mon I don't want to get into another back and forth with you, this isn't just my take, it has been reported widely. What about the 5 WR's who decommitted? Oregon was desperate for WR recruits.

"The Oregon Ducks have large holes to fill on offense heading into 2018"

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootba ... ge_ho.html
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:28 pm
  • Wr depth isn’t good, but Dillon Mitchell is projected as 1st team all league. All 3 guys who started on the outside are returning. Guys will need to step up to fill those backup roles though.

Dont get me wrong, i badly wanted Williams and/or Ezeike, but if a true freshman is going to make or break your season yo'ure in pretty big trouble. Just makes it more important to hit on receivers next year.

Although Hall was a big time get this year, Crocker has a lot of promise, and they're probably still going to add JJ Tucker, who will be a red shirt developmental guy, later today.
    Last edited by JSeahawks on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:59 pm
  • A bit of a kidney punch.

JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:12 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:https://twitter.com/YahooDrSaturday/status/961323727597309952

I worry about a kid who doesn't tell his mom where he's going to college before he tells TV cameras. Maybe she's a bad mom, but that's just a weird situation.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:14 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:18 pm
  • Ducks still expecting 3 additions this afternoon. 1 stud that any team in the country would want, 1 backup plan that I really like a lot, and 1 backup plan that I wish they’d just save the scholarship.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:22 pm
  • drrew wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:https://twitter.com/YahooDrSaturday/status/961323727597309952

I worry about a kid who doesn't tell his mom where he's going to college before he tells TV cameras. Maybe she's a bad mom, but that's just a weird situation.

If that's how his mom is going to react to his choice in front of cameras, then it's pretty easy to see why he didn't tell her beforehand in private.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:30 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    drrew wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:https://twitter.com/YahooDrSaturday/status/961323727597309952

If that's how his mom is going to react to his choice in front of cameras, then it's pretty easy to see why he didn't tell her beforehand in private.

Feel bad for the kid being embarrassed like that on one of the biggest days of his life. Its not like Florida isn't a great football school either and he may stand out more there than Alabama. I'd be more pissed if he picked Tennessee.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:32 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:
    drrew wrote:

Feel bad for the kid being embarrassed like that on one of the biggest days of his life. Its not like Florida isn't a great football school either and he may stand out more there than Alabama. I'd be more pissed if he picked Tennessee.

She probably had a pay day lined up if he commited to Alabama.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:35 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:
    drrew wrote:

She probably had a pay day lined up if he commited to Alabama.

Ran out to cash the check before it got cancelled...
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:50 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:https://twitter.com/YahooDrSaturday/status/961323727597309952

What a disgraceful parent.
    original poster
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:02 pm
  • Remember when JSeahawks said the Ducks will still have a better class this year than the Huskies right after the early signing period and even after Willie Taggart left. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:14 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:Remember when JSeahawks said the Ducks will still have a better class this year than the Huskies right after the early signing period and even after Willie Taggart left. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, didn’t work out. I’ll own it. Things change in recruiting daily.

In my defense though I thought uw was done and out of room. I didn’t know they were still adding more.

In reality though, we won’t know who had the better class for 4 or 5 years. Some of the best players in ducks history were guys that nobody else wanted on signing day: Marcus Mariota, max unger (he was a 2 star), Patrick Chung, etc etc. The only other school to offer Justin Herbert was Montana, now he’s a heisman trophy contender.
    Last edited by JSeahawks on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:21 pm
  • original poster wrote:

What a disgraceful parent.

Had to be a bit.. she was wearing a Bama sweatshirt
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:45 pm
  • Ducks just landed 3 star wr JJ Tucker. Definitely a backup option and I’m not crazy about his film but the one thing I like about him is he seems to have a Doug Baldwin, Steve smith sr type attitude. I love those serious, intense wide receivers.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7955547/Juwan-Tucker
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:56 pm
  • JSeahawks, you hearing any rumbling about Sewell. I'm hearing the baby Bruins are making as run at him, also some cryptic tweets.
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:09 pm
  • Anajimmc wrote:JSeahawks, you hearing any rumbling about Sewell. I'm hearing the baby Bruins are making as run at him, also some cryptic tweets.

Should be announcing any second now. Ducks are confident. We’ll see. If it’s ucla thaT would be pretty wild, I’ve never even heard them mentioned as a possibility.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:13 pm
  • Sewell's a Duck, good get.
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:16 pm
  • Penei Sewell is a duck. Thank god or there would have been mass suicides in Eugene. #2 guard and # 68 overall player in the country. Probably the freshman that will have the best chance of starting next year (other then the long snapper) although he’ll have to beat out some good players.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4649752/Penei-Sewell
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 pm
  • ITS is a trojan!!! Last domino? there could be a surprise.
    Anajimmc
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:44 pm
  • Anajimmc wrote:ITS is a trojan!!! Last domino? there could be a surprise.

Your linebacker and defensive back haul should be illegal. Not to mention the wr’s.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:57 pm
  • Gonna add this now cuz I’m going to be out of the loop for awhile. It hasn’t been announced yet but the ducks are almost sure to land CB Kahlef Hailassie. He was all set to go to Washington state but the ducks swooped in late. He’s a backup option, but unlike the other one JJ Tucker, I really like this dudes film. 6’2”, 3 star corner.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4333198/Kahlef-Hailassie

That should do it for the ducks today. There’s still a 3 star defensive tackle who was supposed to commit elsewhere today but the coaches have convinced him to hold off signing and visit Eugene after signing day. (Not trying to be cryptic just can’t remember his name off the top of my head).
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:59 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Penei Sewell is a duck. Thank god or there would have been mass suicides in Eugene. #2 guard and # 68 overall player in the country. Probably the freshman that will have the best chance of starting next year (other then the long snapper) although he’ll have to beat out some good players.

Interesting how it's all the "other" ducks that are in meltdown/suicide protocol?

You can come in off the ledge now J. ;)
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:02 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Penei Sewell is a duck. Thank god or there would have been mass suicides in Eugene. #2 guard and # 68 overall player in the country. Probably the freshman that will have the best chance of starting next year (other then the long snapper) although he’ll have to beat out some good players.

Interesting how it's all the "other' ducks that are in meltdown/suicide protocol?

If you’ve been on these boards for any amount of time you’d know I’m not one to get pissed or upset about losses for Seahawks or ducks. I’m certainly not going to get pissed about missing out on recruits who are yet to take a college snap.

I’m golden! (And yes, I realize you were saying that mostly in gest)
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:06 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Penei Sewell is a duck. Thank god or there would have been mass suicides in Eugene. #2 guard and # 68 overall player in the country. Probably the freshman that will have the best chance of starting next year (other then the long snapper) although he’ll have to beat out some good players.

Interesting how it's all the "other' ducks that are in meltdown/suicide protocol?

If you’ve been on these boards for any amount of time you’d know I’m not one to get pissed or upset about losses for Seahawks or ducks. I’m certainly not going to get pissed about missing out on recruits who are yet to take a college snap.

I’m golden! (And yes, I realize you were saying that mostly in gest)

It's just a joke J, no need to defend yourself.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm
  • This is not my work. Im just copy and pasting it from my scoopduck site from a dude named Illimatic who did all the work. If any Duck fans are reading this and feeling upset about the class this will put things in a good perspective. And remember, they did this after two unsuccessful season and 3 different head coaches. **edit to add** That 2011 class is largely considered the best class in Oregon history and this class has more Tier 1 or higher talent then that one did.

Tier E: Ranked as a 5-star by one or more services
    Tier 1: Ranked as a 4-star by two or three services
    Tier 2: Ranked as a 4-star by one service
    Tier 3: Ranked as a 3-star by all three services

*Note, I recently updated the tier criteria due to the 247/Scout merger

2018 Signees (as of 2/7 @ 3pm)
    Tier 1: QB Tyler Shough
    Tier 1: APB Jamal Elliott
    Tier 1: WR Isaah Crocker
    Tier 1: WR Jalen Hall
    Tier 1: TE Spencer Webb
    Tier 1: OL Penei Sewell
    Tier 1: OL Steven Jones
    Tier 1: OL Dawson Jaramillo
    Tier 1: DB Steve Stephens
    Tier 1: DB Jevon Holland
    Tier 1: LB Adrian Jackson
    Tier 2: CB Verone McKinley
    Tier 3: RB Travis Dye
    Tier 3: WR JJ Tucker
    Tier 3: OL Justin Johnson
    Tier 3: OL Chris Randazzo
    Tier 3: DB Haki Woods
    Tier 3: LB Andrew Johnson
    Tier 3: LB MJ Cunningham
    Tier 3: DL Sione Vea-Kava
    Tier 3: DL Andrew Faoliu
    Tier 5: LS Karsten Battles

2018 Class
    Tier E: 0
    Tier 1: 11
    Tier 2: 1
    Tier 3: 9

2017 Class
    Tier 1: 5
    Tier 2: 8
    Tier 3: 10

2016 Class
    Tier 2: 4

2015 Class
    Tier E: 1
    Tier 1: 6
    Tier 2: 4
    Tier 3: 11

2014 Class
    Tier 2: 5

2013 Class
    Tier 1: 7
    Tier 2: 3
    Tier 3: 5

2012 Class
    Tier 1: 6
    Tier 2: 6
    Tier 3: 7

2011 Class
    Tier E: 2
    Tier 1: 7
    Tier 2: 8
    Tier 3: 6
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:01 pm
  • Now that’s it’s all but over I think UW and OU can feel pretty good about the classes, and as usual SC can feel great. Had some good banter on this thread! Who was it again that said it was pretty much a guarantee UW finished 4th in the pac? LOL, just kidding. Now we wait and see how many of these kids live up to the hype in the coming years.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:17 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information