Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

RB Needed: The kind defenders don't want to tackle.

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I think Prosise, if he can ever stay healthy, is a hell of a dynamic player and can take it to the house from anywhere.

Rawls is fine. If you give him some good blocking he can really take advantage at the second level, but he's not special in any one way or more.

We won't get a shot at the RBs that everyone wants this year, but what I see that's clearly missing in the backfield is the type of pounder that no one wants to have to tackle. The attitude is visibly missing from the Seahawks backfield. Here are some candidates:

vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• UDFA that can run a little angry.

vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• Also, many won't like it, but Mixon will likely be on the table and he is quite possibly the most natural pure runner in the draft and he's also got a severe attitude problem on the field (and off as well, obviously). That would be an interesting subject if that happened.

The body styles of both Conner and Smith (above) make for some extremely strong football players. Both have good lower body development. Conner is the bigger player, but I think Smith loves contact more. Reminds me a bit of Spencer Ware.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• This draft has a lot of these Alex Collins type players.

Would expect a day 3 pick to be used for one of them.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:Also, many won't like it, but Mixon will likely be on the table and he is quite possibly the most natural pure runner in the draft and he's also got a severe attitude problem on the field (and off as well, obviously). That would be an interesting subject if that happened.

The body styles of both Conner and Smith (above) make for some extremely strong football players. Both have good lower body development. Conner is the bigger player, but I think Smith loves contact more. Reminds me a bit of Spencer Ware.

Mixon the guy is very unlikable. Mixon the player is incredibly talented.

I would love a D'Onta Foreman though
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I really like Foreman. Is he a 2nd rounder? Maybe even back of the 1st type?
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• If Joe Williams, Utah RB, is in this draft, then he would be a good option as well. Runs hard and fast.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Missing_Clink wrote:I really like Foreman. Is he a 2nd rounder? Maybe even back of the 1st type?

Not a back half of the first guy. Maybe back half of R3. His combine will need to be outstanding.

I personally see him in the 70-140 range of players pending combine results and individual team's tastes. His ball security issues will drop him some.

It's tough to slot him. But given the quality at RB in this draft -- I don't see many teams feeling like they need to over reach for him. The rich alternatives in guys similar to Foreman means teams can feel more comfortable letting the draft come to them in that range.

Foreman is huge. Unfortunately if you want a bigger back (230+), this year you can pick from Perine, Foreman or Conner. So Foreman's size isn't even really unique in this class. And all of those guys are kind of forecast in that late 3rd to mid 5th round range. He's going to have to demonstrate he has burst and agility. Even if he tests outstanding like Derrick Henry did last year at around the same profile -- the relative strength of this draft should push other prospects in front of him.

Before people get too hung up on fumble rates regarding Seattle -- Foreman's fumble rate was one in 74 carries. Which puts him about 20th in terms of ranking of likely draftable RBs in this class (worth noting that Dalvin Cook a likely top 15 overall player is even worse in this regard).

But Seattle drafted two guys last year (Procise and Collins) who were significantly worse than Foreman. So it's not the end all/be all stat. Just one of many factors. And given the competition and relative flattening of the tier 3 RB group -- it'll be probably over analyzed.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Foreman is the best back that will be available in my opinion. Hopefully he is there in the third, and can be snagged with a comp pick. Probably a second rounder though. If there isn't a blue chip player that slides to 26, I wouldn't mind if they traded back and picked foreman in the second.
    Click the link, I dare you! You will love it!!!!
    https://youtu.be/RTycAlWhrt8

https://youtu.be/RaqSNpWDyCc
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

• Foreman would be my first choice of these guys. I'd say he runs a 4.5 forty at the combine. He ran away from too many people to not at least run that fast. Thing about him, he doesn't look 250, nor does he play like it. How many 250 lbers look to bounce runs outside ? I also didn't see him truck a lot of guys, but then again, he didn't always have to.

Of the other RB's that were listed above, I'd probably go Elijah Hood first. He's tough to bring down, but has quickness, speed and wiggle to take it to the house. After that I'd go after Conner from Pitt. I don't mind the kid from MI, but he shuffles his feet a bit and it makes him look like he lacks burst.

If we want a hammer, how about Samaje Perine from OK ? I probably spelled it wrong, but at 5'11" and 235 he brings plenty of hammer. He doesn't have much wiggle, but we have Rawls and Prosise for wiggle.

If we want a punishing runner, I tend to like guys in the 225 lb range. It's where Lynch played most of his career, although he listed at the combine at 215, I'm betting his last two years he played at more like 235. Rawls and Collins both weight in at 215 and you can see the problems that arise. If you're going to run head first into people at this level, you need to have some weight behind you.

Alvin Kamara is also another good back, but not sure he has that style we're looking for although he breaks a lot of tackles.

Too bad we couldn't get Fournette, as he's 235 and a freaking man beast. That's a guy that will make an Adrian Peterson like impact. You have to account for him, and it opens up the rest of the offense.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• If his stock drops enough and you can snag Mixon in the 3rd round he is gonna be the steal of the draft. He's a 1st round talent and outside Fournette quite possibly the next best back in the draft. The team doesn't shy away from talents with some issues so I hope he is on the radar.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

• There's some saying Mixon will not be drafted at all. I think that's insane and probably mostly smoke screen but it is out there. I would be happy with Mixon anywhere in the draft except for in the 1st round. That doesn't mean I don't think his talent isn't 1st round caliber because in my opinion it is but value wise (risk vs reward) I think 2nd round and later is where I would like to see him on my team.

For RB's that are realistic based on our draft position and where they are expected to be drafted Mixon is the #1 guy on my list for Seattle to draft.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Adding Perine to this thread. There's some there that reminds me of Jonathan Stewart, who I always wanted, being the local boy (Lacey, WA).

EDIT: There's actually a little bit of Beast Mode there too. Reason being is the center of gravity. He's very, very difficult to tip over.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• Good addition Vin. I really like how well both Mixon and Perine use their hands to fight off defenders and break tackles. Kudos to the RB coach there because they are both really good at it and it's clearly something that's been instilled into them. That's one of the things that I don't like about Fournette. Don't get me wrong, I still love Fournette overall, but with his good balance and size if he could be taught to use his hands better, rather than just lowering his shoulder and running through people most of the time, he could be that much harder to take down and probably lengthen his career not taking as many hard hits.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:Adding Perine to this thread. There's some there that reminds me of Jonathan Stewart, who I always wanted, being the local boy (Lacey, WA).

EDIT: There's actually a little bit of Beast Mode there too. Reason being is the center of gravity. He's very, very difficult to tip over.

Because of Mixon, Perine tends to get overlooked. I think he is quite underrated and he may even be a better pro than Mixon. Either Mixon or Perine would be awesome in Seahawk blue. Oklahoma had a great double punch running attack.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Yes Please! :D
    penihawk
    NET Veteran

• After watching all of those videos, Perine is def my favorite. He reminds me of an old San Diego running back, thick and hard to bring down. I want to say Tolman, but can't remember his name.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• ivotuk wrote:After watching all of those videos, Perine is def my favorite. He reminds me of an old San Diego running back, thick and hard to bring down. I want to say Tolman, but can't remember his name.

They had a couple. Natrone Means and Marion Butts. Reminds me more of Means though.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I'd forgotten about Means. I was thinking of Tolbert. Had to ask my San Diego friend who is now in a love/hate relationship with his team.

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• Some of the combine measurements are starting to trickle out and some of these RBs have some real size

Fournette - 240lbs
    Conner - 233lbs
    Foreman - 233lbs
    Perrine - 233lbs

For me, the 40 times won't matter too much, I'll be interested to see what sort of agility numbers these guys put up at those weights.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

• drrew wrote:Some of the combine measurements are starting to trickle out and some of these RBs have some real size

Fournette - 240lbs
    Conner - 233lbs
    Foreman - 233lbs
    Perrine - 233lbs

For me, the 40 times won't matter too much, I'll be interested to see what sort of agility numbers these guys put up at those weights.

Thanks for the info. THose are some big boys! Fournette, wow. I wonder if he's going to be a Stephen Jackson type, big bruiser, good, not great career unless he ends up on a run first team.

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• I'd like the Hawks swinging a deal with the Titans for Derrick Henry...maybe send our 3rd round pick (26) and a CB ( Stanley or Desir. I know they need Safety and CB and with Earls available be hesitant to send Shead in a trade.
    CDN_C_Hawk
    NET Practice Squad

• hawkfan68 wrote:If Joe Williams, Utah RB, is in this draft, then he would be a good option as well. Runs hard and fast.

Yes, please. Very explosive & difficult player to tackle. East Coast media doesn't seem to know about him. He would excite me in the later rounds.

hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2017 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:If Joe Williams, Utah RB, is in this draft, then he would be a good option as well. Runs hard and fast.

Yes, please. Very explosive & difficult player to tackle. East Coast media doesn't seem to know about him. He would excite me in the later rounds.

Has anyone read into the whole Joe Williams saga? Dude has a ton of red flags. I don't think Pete would even let him compete on this team because he quit on his team in Utah. One of the things that is extremely important to Pete is loving the game and one of the most important things to this team in the locker room is "Love your Brother" or playing for one another.

It goes further back than the weird retirement thing last year too. Back in HS Williams was getting in trouble for theft and shoplifting, nearly squandering his scholarship offer to UConn. He ended up having to go to a military school to get focused and get his grades up in order to make it into UConn. Then while at UConn he gets caught with a stolen credit card and gets kicked off the team. It doesn't seem like this guy has everything together upstairs.

Quote from one of his coaches: http://www.sltrib.com/home/2821282-155/utah-football-after-trouble-at-uconn
    He was an outgoing and eminently likable kid, said former coach Joe Bottiglieri, but he was drawn by new clothes and other indulgences. He didn't always listen. He made poor choices.

I would pass on him in the draft. Maybe he's worth taking a look at as an UDFA, but I would struggle to ever feel comfortable putting him in a position I had to rely on him because it sounds like too many other things are more important to him.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:After watching all of those videos, Perine is def my favorite. He reminds me of an old San Diego running back, thick and hard to bring down. I want to say Tolman, but can't remember his name.

I really like Perine too.

Could it be Michael Turner perhaps? Similar physical dimensions
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• CDN_C_Hawk wrote:I'd like the Hawks swinging a deal with the Titans for Derrick Henry...maybe send our 3rd round pick (26) and a CB ( Stanley or Desir. I know they need Safety and CB and with Earls available be hesitant to send Shead in a trade.

I don't think the Titans would have any interest in trading someone they took in the 2nd round last year in exchange for a late 3rd rounder this year. Especially considering Henry didn't disappoint, doesn't have any off field issues, and Demarco Murray has some wear and tear on him.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• Samaje Perine just put up 30 reps on the bench press. He has shortish arms, but that's still pretty incredible.

Would have put him in top 5 for offensive lineman at last years combine.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

• Put me down for Joe Williams as well. That's the guy IMO. Gotta lay the gauntlet in the interview process. Maybe let Earl interview him.

Hell no on Foreman. Not explosive enough. Way too much wear on the tires already. Alex Collins duplicate.

Kamara intrigues me.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• IS Leonard Fournette stock dropping?
    Blaze808
    NET Practice Squad

• I heard McCaffrey got like 9 reps and struggled through the last 6. He'll be Danny Woodhead, but never a featured back.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• For Perine:

40 YARD DASH: 4.65 SEC
    BENCH PRESS: 30 REPS
    VERTICAL JUMP: 33.0 INCH
    BROAD JUMP: 116.0 INCH

The 4.65 isn't really an issue for me. For reference, 4.65 is also what Rawls ran at the combine. Lesean McCoy ran a 4.62.

Rawls Combine numbers:

40 YARD DASH: 4.65 SEC
    BENCH PRESS: 15 REPS
    VERTICAL JUMP: 35.5 INCH
    BROAD JUMP: 116.0 INCH
    Last edited by vin.couve12 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• Feels like R3 comp pick or later for RB.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Chris Carson's combine stuck out to me today. He's only 6'0 218 (very little body fat, however), but he runs with an attitude and could even go undrafted. His combine is as follows:

40 YARD DASH: 4.58 SEC
    BENCH PRESS: 23 REPS
    VERTICAL JUMP: 37.0 INCH
    BROAD JUMP: 130.0 INCH

Might be worth a look in a camp where the position seems to drop like flies or you're left with Collins.

vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• Oh, Haysoos Christo....check out these numbers:

At 217 pounds this guy goes:

40 YARD DASH: 4.59 SEC
    BENCH PRESS: 18 REPS
    VERTICAL JUMP: 28.5 INCH
    BROAD JUMP: 113.0 INCH

So very much lacking in explosion even at 217.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:Oh, Haysoos Christo....check out these numbers:

Who's numbers are these?
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Joe Williams measured in at 5'11, 210 and ran a 4.41
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Oh, Haysoos Christo....check out these numbers:

Who's numbers are these?

Collins at 217 pounds. Technically, Fournette had a vert at 28.5", but at 240 pounds and also put in a 4.51 40. He didn't bench and didn't test in the broad jump. To be fair, Neither Lynch nor AP had big verts, however.

The problem is that there has to be at least one thing that you excel at.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:Joe Williams measured in at 5'11, 210 and ran a 4.41

I'm just really not sure about Williams. His going AWOL and general questionable attitude could be a problem. Again, trying to be fair, maybe there was some sort of extenuating circumstances. If we went that direction I really couldn't be mad. There's quite a bit there that's like Freeman.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• As much as I don't like UNC, Hood has been a load. The only thing Limiting him was a pass happy coach. Wouldn't mind one of those thirds on him. Think he was 6' 220lbs....a heavy 220.
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:Joe Williams measured in at 5'11, 210 and ran a 4.41

I'm just really not sure about Williams. His going AWOL and general questionable attitude could be a problem. Again, trying to be fair, maybe there was some sort of extenuating circumstances. If we went that direction I really couldn't be mad. There's quite a bit there that's like Freeman.

Yeah, I don't like that he quit either, but when he plays there's a lot to like about his game. He also got booted from UConn for stealing. I'm sure Pete and JS will interview him and grill him on what happened there. If he's still sitting around come the 4th round, I'd love to snag him. He's got 2nd round talent, but the red flags will ding him for sure.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• Jimjones0384 wrote:Foreman is the best back that will be available in my opinion. Hopefully he is there in the third, and can be snagged with a comp pick. Probably a second rounder though. If there isn't a blue chip player that slides to 26, I wouldn't mind if they traded back and picked foreman in the second.

I had to amend this statement in a different thread also. I have overlooked Perine. This dude is a beast. He hits like a Mack truck. On the first highlight on the film I watched, the announcer compared him to earl Campbell.

With kamara and a couple of other guys having the day they did, I hope he falls to the third. I really like mcnichols too. And if foreman's foot is going to be good, he may slide to the end of the draft, or maybe even go undrafted.

This deserves its own paragraph. McCaffrey was flat out amazing to watch. His mechanics are flawless.
    Click the link, I dare you! You will love it!!!!
    https://youtu.be/RTycAlWhrt8

https://youtu.be/RaqSNpWDyCc
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

• run in shorts speed is different that running in pads/uniform speed. While the bigger guys like Perine, Conner, etc ran slower, I believe that they may have better football speed with pads on. From the highlights, it shows they have plenty enough speed.

I don't understand why the NFL scouting combine doesn't make the players wear pads. That's what they will be wearing on NFL game days. Let them run and work out in those. That would give the truest measure than working them out in shorts.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Jimjones0384 wrote:
    Jimjones0384 wrote:Foreman is the best back that will be available in my opinion. Hopefully he is there in the third, and can be snagged with a comp pick. Probably a second rounder though. If there isn't a blue chip player that slides to 26, I wouldn't mind if they traded back and picked foreman in the second.

I had to amend this statement in a different thread also. I have overlooked Perine. This dude is a beast. He hits like a Mack truck. On the first highlight on the film I watched, the announcer compared him to earl Campbell.

With kamara and a couple of other guys having the day they did, I hope he falls to the third. I really like mcnichols too. And if foreman's foot is going to be good, he may slide to the end of the draft, or maybe even go undrafted.

This deserves its own paragraph. McCaffrey was flat out amazing to watch. His mechanics are flawless.

I certainly appreciate any opinion on a player because I know we all see different things. But, having watched every Foreman game I can find online and not just highlights...that comparison is way off. He does not play to his size in any way. He is a dancer in the backfield and does not run with power. When he gets going he is tough to bring down, but far too many times stuffed at LOS or 1 yard gain because he can't get going. Reminds me of a less athletic Shaun Alexander, with worse vision.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran

• Carson's tape looks really good, an athletic freak. But one thing I noticed, he will need to learn how to switch hands with the ball. Saw him run to the left side several times in that video of him and not one time did he use he left hand to carry the ball. NFL defenses will eat that up

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Diezel Dawg
    NET Veteran

• pcbball12 wrote:
    Jimjones0384 wrote:
    Jimjones0384 wrote:Foreman is the best back that will be available in my opinion. Hopefully he is there in the third, and can be snagged with a comp pick. Probably a second rounder though. If there isn't a blue chip player that slides to 26, I wouldn't mind if they traded back and picked foreman in the second.

I certainly appreciate any opinion on a player because I know we all see different things. But, having watched every Foreman game I can find online and not just highlights...that comparison is way off. He does not play to his size in any way. He is a dancer in the backfield and does not run with power. When he gets going he is tough to bring down, but far too many times stuffed at LOS or 1 yard gain because he can't get going. Reminds me of a less athletic Shaun Alexander, with worse vision.

Yeah, I really don't know that I'm interested in Foreman. He's kind of a big, fast teddy bear.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• Diezel Dawg wrote:Carson's tape looks really good, an athletic freak. But one thing I noticed, he will need to learn how to switch hands with the ball. Saw him run to the left side several times in that video of him and not one time did he use he left hand to carry the ball. NFL defenses will eat that up

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

He might be worth a look, but there's also a good chance he'll be a 7th rounder/undrafted. Low risk/high reward type if you can get anything out of him. And now that I say that....sounds kind of Seahawk mold kind of scenario....
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• Problem with a lot of highlights is they show big runs, I want to see the runs where they may get 10 yds or runs that start looking like nothing and end up being good gainers, one's where defenders are bouncing off the running back or being stiff armed into the ground. That's the kind of back I hope we find, just not many highlights of those types, a lot of the favorites this year have some size yet I don't see them punishing defenders with it, looks like a lot of Shaun Alexander types, which won't cut it on this team where you have to withstand the first contact and keep going.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• The team now has 9 RBs under contract and now that guy that is hard to tackle in Lacy.

I Suspect the team will only draft a RB very late or not at all this draft.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information