Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Obi Melifonfu - please come to Seattle

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Obi Melifonfu - please come to Seattle
Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:59 am
  • So far this morning Obi Melifonfu has put up the following combine numbers:

- 4.46 40 yard dash
    - 11'9 broad jump (2nd longest of all time)
    - 44" vertical (4th highest of all time)
    This man is 6'4 225lb

His tape shows he's an actual football player, not just an athlete, but in a league of absolute freak athletes, he's going to be one of the freakiest of them all.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

• He looked pretty good in the Senior Bowl.

Senior Bowl: Mike Mayock's Day 2 practice stars

Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut

Melifonwu, at 6-4 and 219 pounds, was all over the field on Wednesday. He's got outstanding range, making up so much distance in a hurry. Bob Diaco, the coach at UConn the past three years, said Melifonwu has more ability than any safety he's ever coached, and that includes Harrison Smith, the all-pro player for the Minnesota Vikings whom Diaco coached at Notre Dame. He's a matchup chess piece with movement skills. If Greg Olsen comes to town, you say, "That's your guy." The next week a wide receiver like Mike Evans comes to town, you say, "Go get him." I thought Melifonwu had an outstanding practice session on Wednesday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... tice-stars

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news ... p-50-push/

Others like him too...

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/01/2 ... nior-bowl/
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• We won't use our first round pick on a safety, and he won't be there when we pick in the second round. He's destined for another team. Having said that, he'd be a great option as a Kam replacement if they decide to go that direction.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• He just put up 4.40 in his second run.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

• IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:We won't use our first round pick on a safety, and he won't be there when we pick in the second round. He's destined for another team. Having said that, he'd be a great option as a Kam replacement if they decide to go that direction.

He will not be drafted by the Seahawks as a safety. If drafted at 26 - which I believe is very probable - he will be drafted as a CB and/or big nickel. When you watch his tape, he checks every box the Seahawks look for in a corner. He is clearly a unique talent, and someone physically that Seattle could not pass on.
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

• Yeah if he's drafted in the first then Kam's probably not on the team next year. The guys a freak but I'd rather CB early.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:We won't use our first round pick on a safety, and he won't be there when we pick in the second round. He's destined for another team. Having said that, he'd be a great option as a Kam replacement if they decide to go that direction.

He will not be drafted by the Seahawks as a safety. If drafted at 26 - which I believe is very probable - he will be drafted as a CB and/or big nickel. When you watch his tape, he checks every box the Seahawks look for in a corner. He is clearly a unique talent, and someone physically that Seattle could not pass on.

There was a report out that teams have talked to him about LB as well.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

• Were not going to find Seahawky guys in the 4th and 5th anymore, the league has the scoop and now it's an outright competition for that talent and body type.

If he is as advertised and a tilt the field player I could see us grabbing him, back up for both safety spots and a CB to take over and or play opposite of Sherman, the value is there based on his diversity on the field alone. Not getting a Lineman this year that will be of more value, RB can be had thru the 3rd that are quality, CB's are also there for the taking, special players however you don't get cute and try to see if they are there later. The exception was Wilson and he was there because of his size but teams were ready to pull the trigger.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• He's the type player that would not have a dedicated position. He's a matchup player in a matchup league. We need more playmakers on defense and I would say he goes on a long list in this draft. He is the guy they wanted BB to be last year til they found out he couldn't run anymore.
    penihawk
    NET Veteran

• Pete was rocking in his chair excited while watching his workouts. He is probably in play at 26. Hell he might go higher, just look at Byron Jones. Neither were first rounders on tape alone, but measurables too amazing to pass up. Just incredibly rare.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Re: Obi Melifonfu - please come to Seattle
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:30 am

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:01 am
  • kobebryant wrote:Boy, can his tape be bad at times though. Not sure the motor meshes with Seattle DBs at all.

https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/828874085811695616

This is my biggest problem with Obi as well. You can't just look at a highlight reel and combine numbers and expect to know much about a football player in the draft.

I hope that some of the bad tape you see with him is just him playing multiple positions and not really knowing any one positions extremely well. I think there is a lot of thinking going on for him rather than just being able to trust his instincts and play fast. If that's the case that can be coached up.

The other thing is that I don't see the nasty streak that both Earl and Kam share. Obi seems to be much more finesse, not willing to make the big hit, and making a lot of "business decisions". Again, that could be a symptom of him having to think too much out there on the field and it could be something that can be coached up, but it also could be that he'll just never be that type of guy that plays fast and hard. It's difficult to tell just from what we have access to online.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:01 am
  • kobebryant wrote:Boy, can his tape be bad at times though. Not sure the motor meshes with Seattle DBs at all.

https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/828874085811695616

I have looked through a few games of UConn - there will always be a few negative plays. His overall tape is solid, and I disagree with Jared Stanger if he is suggesting that his negatives outweigh positives.....he has LOTS of really good tape too. I do not see any motor issues at all
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:37 pm
  • Jared stanger is the arch nemisis of our favorite english seahawk fan rob stanton. I assume the stark contrast of opinion is his way of protesting his ability vs robs. We shall see who wins.
    "I don't know much, but I imagine that stomping my way through a field of seven-year-olds is the closest I'll ever feel to being Marshawn Lynch. Despite being limited to ten rushes, Lynch mowed through defenders like Zach Efron running into a bachelorette party in Vegas." -@JacsonBevens
    titan3131
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:46 pm

• I worry about his instincts. Yes, he's a physical freak, and I'm intrigued by the thought of him playing corner, or playing man against TEs in the slot, but is the hypothetical upside worth the risk that he's just not a great football player? He was intriguing as a day two pick but in the first round you're taking a gamble. Earl, Kam, Sherm, and Browner all have unique characteristics, but they are also all football players first and foremost. If it's between Melifonu and Baker I still go with Baker - he's a player.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• I like this guy but at 26 seems too rich.

Now granted I dont see him making it past 2.12,; so a solid trade down is what I think is the best choice.

2. Obi
    2. Kevin King
    3. Jordan Willis
    3. Zay Jones

Possibly Aviante Collins OL depending on his proday.
    "I don't know much, but I imagine that stomping my way through a field of seven-year-olds is the closest I'll ever feel to being Marshawn Lynch. Despite being limited to ten rushes, Lynch mowed through defenders like Zach Efron running into a bachelorette party in Vegas." -@JacsonBevens
    titan3131
    NET Veteran

• titan3131 wrote:Jared stanger is the arch nemisis of our favorite english seahawk fan rob stanton. I assume the stark contrast of opinion is his way of protesting his ability vs robs. We shall see who wins.

I don't see that.

It's ok to have differing opinions. I too think his tape doesn't match his testing. I certainly didn't see a dominant force on tape with him.

Obviously he's a seahawky type player. Excellent athlete. No question. And prospects aren't finished when they reach the draft. Far from it.

This draft is so deep in good athletes. And a lot of those dominated like you'd expect from their testing numbers. Obi's tape is probably at best described as 'not that bad'. Which essentially concedes that it's also 'not that great'.

If I look at King v. Obi on tape, there's no question I think King is the superior player today. And he's not a player you have to find a role for. He's an outside corner through and through. And that's where our hole in our defense is day 1.

If he's the pick, he's still an awesome prospect. Definitely worthy of #26. But I can't help but think he could be had later. This is a great draft (as opposed to when Byron Jones came out) at DB. Seattle definitely has it's work cut out for them. Because there are pro bowlers to be had in the 25-64 range this year.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• If they're not going OLB at 26, I'd like to trade back, get another late 2nd, early 3rd round pick, and nab him then.

IMHO, our biggest need is someone to cover big, fast Tight Ends, ala Brandon Browner. BB wasn't fast (must have been those tiny calves), but he was one tough SOB.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• Not sure the discern over his tape. Looks pretty decent to me. Yes, it is highlight footage but it is a lot of good footage.

If you are wringing your hands that he is not first round quality (I disagree) who is to say we do not trade our 1st for a 2nd and another pick and try to get him later. Not like we have not done that before. Also would not be unusual for the FO to reach on a guy they were really committed to getting. Seattle definetly has interest in the guy. Seahawks showing strong interest in UConn safety Obi Melifonwu

seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• The secondary is one spot on the field where I've learned to put full trust into Pete and John's process with the draft. None of us had heard of Sherman before he was drafted, and considering he went in the fifth round I'm sure there was just as much bad tape of him as there is of Obi. Surely similar stories with Kam, Maxwell, (Browner was a CFL guy for goodness sake and was an above average corner in Seattle for 2+ years). So if we decide to go with Obi then Schneider has his reasons and I'll be on board with it. Would I prefer to get him in the second as opposed to the first, well DUH!!! But even if they go with him in the first, I'll take it. We need to start planning on a rebuild for that defense as it ages a little bit. (Kam's injury history, I think this is the third offseason in a row where he's had surgery, should start to cause some concern at some point).

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• titan3131 wrote:Jared stanger is the arch nemisis of our favorite english seahawk fan rob stanton. I assume the stark contrast of opinion is his way of protesting his ability vs robs. We shall see who wins.

I don't necessarily think that is the case. Jared is very good, and puts a lot into the draft process. But, his problem is that he thinks he is perfect and his ish don't stink. He forms a quick opinion of a player and will not come off of it. He throws a ton of stuff against the wall hoping it sticks, and will later recall and retweet his old tweets to show he was right (of course you are going to be right a lot when you comment on literally every player at one point or another). He will never admit when he is wrong and if anyone tries to challenge him he will block them.

His thing with Obi is IMO...he watched a game or two and did not like him. Instantly wrote him off and didn't look at all of the tape he could have. He will stick by that until the end....unless Seattle drafts him he will find a way to spin his negativity toward Obi as a positivity.

My opinion on Obi is this. He is an athletic freak, that is obvious from the testing. His tape is inconsistent. He has games where he doesn't tackle well, looks lost in coverage. And then I throw on the Virginia game and he pops all over the screen. Hitting guys on seam routes, coming up making plays in the run game, manning up in the slot and winning. So, the potential to what he can be has been shown on tape from him. It is just inconsistent right now.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran

• pcbball12 wrote:
    titan3131 wrote:Jared stanger is the arch nemisis of our favorite english seahawk fan rob stanton. I assume the stark contrast of opinion is his way of protesting his ability vs robs. We shall see who wins.

I don't necessarily think that is the case. Jared is very good, and puts a lot into the draft process. But, his problem is that he thinks he is perfect and his ish don't stink. He forms a quick opinion of a player and will not come off of it. He throws a ton of stuff against the wall hoping it sticks, and will later recall and retweet his old tweets to show he was right (of course you are going to be right a lot when you comment on literally every player at one point or another). He will never admit when he is wrong and if anyone tries to challenge him he will block them.

His thing with Obi is IMO...he watched a game or two and did not like him. Instantly wrote him off and didn't look at all of the tape he could have. He will stick by that until the end....unless Seattle drafts him he will find a way to spin his negativity toward Obi as a positivity.

My opinion on Obi is this. He is an athletic freak, that is obvious from the testing. His tape is inconsistent. He has games where he doesn't tackle well, looks lost in coverage. And then I throw on the Virginia game and he pops all over the screen. Hitting guys on seam routes, coming up making plays in the run game, manning up in the slot and winning. So, the potential to what he can be has been shown on tape from him. It is just inconsistent right now.

Agreed.

The kid seems raw.

My knock on him is he isn't a "playmaker."

Give me Budda Baker!

Budda Baker is a future star! Alway around the ball!

Baker is a flat out "baller!"
    "You know why I'm on Seahawks.net!" -Marshawn Lynch

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Pete Carroll & Darrell Bevell be like: "Trust us--we're gonna outsmart them!"
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Starter

• pcbball12 wrote:My opinion on Obi is this. He is an athletic freak, that is obvious from the testing. His tape is inconsistent. He has games where he doesn't tackle well, looks lost in coverage. And then I throw on the Virginia game and he pops all over the screen. Hitting guys on seam routes, coming up making plays in the run game, manning up in the slot and winning. So, the potential to what he can be has been shown on tape from him. It is just inconsistent right now.

It's very important to recognize that these players aren't even close to what they will be in the pros. You want to see guys who can flash dominance.

Nobody is getting a finished product in this draft. Obi has done enough to warrant R1 consideration. I can't think of a better crucible for development in this league that this Seahawks team right now. Clearly Obi fits what we've done in the past.

Athletically speaking, Obi could very easily be the best DB in this entire draft if we looked at it three years from now.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:My opinion on Obi is this. He is an athletic freak, that is obvious from the testing. His tape is inconsistent. He has games where he doesn't tackle well, looks lost in coverage. And then I throw on the Virginia game and he pops all over the screen. Hitting guys on seam routes, coming up making plays in the run game, manning up in the slot and winning. So, the potential to what he can be has been shown on tape from him. It is just inconsistent right now.

It's very important to recognize that these players aren't even close to what they will be in the pros. You want to see guys who can flash dominance.

Nobody is getting a finished product in this draft. Obi has done enough to warrant R1 consideration. I can't think of a better crucible for development in this league that this Seahawks team right now. Clearly Obi fits what we've done in the past.

Athletically speaking, Obi could very easily be the best DB in this entire draft if we looked at it three years from now.

I totally agree he warrants Rd 1 consideration. He is a generational athlete, that flashes enough on tape for you to see the type of player he could become. I just find it funny how stubborn Jared Stanger can be when it comes to prospects. Finds a thing or two a player doesn't do on tape, bangs that drum as loud as he can, and won't acknowledge the other side of the argument.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran

• Does everyone remember when jared crowned tye smith Sherman 2.0? I dare you to mention it to him and get blocked lol.
    titan3131
    NET Veteran

• titan3131 wrote:Does everyone remember when jared crowned tye smith Sherman 2.0? I dare you to mention it to him and get blocked lol.

Lol ya, he literally falls in love with guys. If Tye Smith even makes a team next year, I guarantee you will see 100 retweets about the time Stanger was the first to discover him and how good he was. He is weird about Gary Gilliam too.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information