Justin Wilcox

Subzero717

Reaction score
I didn't want to start a new thread but I think he deserves it. I asked if anyone thought he would stay being that he worked for Petersen before. Then I heard in the break room he was interviewing for Boise. I googled it and found he's interviewing for the A&M DC gig.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think you're looking at old articles. A&M tried to hire Wilcox out of Boise in 2010. He turned them down. I did a quick search and found nothing recent on this.

His UW contract comes with a big buyout. Will be tough for any program to justify hiring him as an assistant. As an HC, it might be worth it. But only small-ish programs would consider him for that position right now.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I thought the million dollar buyout was only in the event he bolted for another Pac 12 school? Which is why he didn't join Sark at USC.

I'm really surprised with Lapoi right now, has he even tried to leave?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Throwdown":15x4pgx3 said:
I thought the million dollar buyout was only in the event he bolted for another Pac 12 school? Which is why he didn't join Sark at USC.

Ah, you're right. Didn't realize that. Still, since he has a relationship with Petersen, I imagine his options are to stay at UW or take the Boise HC job. No reason to bolt for a DC gig in another conference, and USC seems hesitant to pay his buyout.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Hope he stays, man, I really like Wilcox and what he's done with the defense.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":5dgd0d44 said:
From what I've heard, Tosh is loyal to Wilcox, not Sark. There was also talk of him liking the NW more, but I don't think that holds as much water as loyalty. They sound like a package deal and I really hope Petersen wants to keep them and Woodward is arranging something to sweeten the deal for their loyalty to UW.

But I also think Wilcox will get a lot of interest once the coaching carousel really starts going, so who knows.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Crabhawk":1ipdq8wp said:
Throwdown":1ipdq8wp said:
From what I've heard, Tosh is loyal to Wilcox, not Sark. There was also talk of him liking the NW more, but I don't think that holds as much water as loyalty. They sound like a package deal and I really hope Petersen wants to keep them and Woodward is arranging something to sweeten the deal for their loyalty to UW.

But I also think Wilcox will get a lot of interest once the coaching carousel really starts going, so who knows.

I think Tosh is loyal to $$$. He was 100% Cal, born and raised, as loyal as any coach has ever been until Washington opened their check books.

I did read one report which stated that Petersen probably wouldn't keep Tosh even if Tosh wanted to stay based off a massive difference in style and personality. Take it for what its worth, we'll see.

OP
OP
Subzero717

Subzero717

Reaction score
Throwdown":11m8m10m said:

I read here that he was calling all the recruits and telling them he's not leaving. I don't understand the connection between Lapoi and Wilcox. I thought the LB coach that already bolted had ties to Wilcox.

drrew

Reaction score
Expect Tosh to stick with Wilcox, wherever that may be, especially with Sirmon leaving.

On his currently trajectory, Wilcox will be a head coach if not this offseason, then within another offseason or two. Tosh is positioning himself to be the DC/Director of recruiting under Wilcox, which is a seven figure job in a BCS conference.

One rumor floating is that if Saban goes to Texas, Nussmeier might come back to UW as a playcalling OC. Wilcox DC, Nussmeier OC, Petersen HC would be an impressive staff.

OP
OP
Subzero717

Subzero717

Reaction score
drrew":sutd4b9i said:
Expect Tosh to stick with Wilcox, wherever that may be, especially with Sirmon leaving.

On his currently trajectory, Wilcox will be a head coach if not this offseason, then within another offseason or two. Tosh is positioning himself to be the DC/Director of recruiting under Wilcox, which is a seven figure job in a BCS conference.

One rumor floating is that if Saban goes to Texas, Nussmeier might come back to UW as a playcalling OC. Wilcox DC, Nussmeier OC, Petersen HC would be an impressive staff.

That makes no sense and I can't see that happening nor do I believe there is any truth to it.

What tie does Wilcox have to Tosh and why does Petersen care amd we aren't sure Wilcox is staying anyway.

drrew

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2l3epc78 said:
That makes no sense and I can't see that happening nor do I believe there is any truth to it.

What tie does Wilcox have to Tosh and why does Petersen care amd we aren't sure Wilcox is staying anyway.

It would help to actually know what you're talking about before flying off the handle.

Wilcox was Tosh's position coach at Cal. Tosh Lupoi came to the UW because he knew Wilcox (and the $$$). Not because he knew or wanted to work with Sarkisian.

Tosh will go wherever Wilcox goes, they are a package deal.

OP
OP
Subzero717

Subzero717

Reaction score
drrew":2euxkjzi said:
CALIHAWK1":2euxkjzi said:

It would help to actually know what you're talking about before flying off the handle.

Wilcox was Tosh's position coach at Cal. Tosh Lupoi came to the UW because he knew Wilcox (and the $$$). Not because he knew or wanted to work with Sarkisian.

Tosh will go wherever Wilcox goes, they are a package deal.

Nussmeier coming here as OC. I didn't fly off handle.

drrew

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2p8oxk81 said:

As far as Wilcox and Petersen...Wilcox was a GA at Boise under Dan Hawkins while Petersen was OC. Wilcox left Boise State for a position coach job at Cal (where he coached Tosh) and then came back to Boise State in '06 as DC when Dan Hawkins left for Colorado and Petersen took over as HC.

Petersen, Wilcox, and Tosh Lupoi are all intertwined. Doesn't mean that Wilcox/Tosh stay, but at this point its better than even money that they do.

drrew

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":7rhysco6 said:
What tie does Wilcox have to Tosh.

What you asked is above. In your words. I answered for you. You're welcome.

As far as Nussmeier, I'm sure it's all idle speculation, but he's well like by the UW admin, is a PNW guy, and left UW for Alabama so he could call plays. He may also shortly be out of a job. Petersen lets his OC call plays, I'd imagine that's the basis for the speculation.

OP
OP
Subzero717

Subzero717

Reaction score
drrew":3bbdfezd said:
CALIHAWK1":3bbdfezd said:
What tie does Wilcox have to Tosh.

What you asked is above. In your words. I answered for you. You're welcome.

As far as Nussmeier, I'm sure it's all idle speculation, but he's well like by the UW admin, is a PNW guy, and left UW for Alabama so he could call plays. He may also shortly be out of a job. Petersen lets his OC call plays, I'd imagine that's the basis for the speculation.

Something got messed up. Someone else said no way Peyersen keeps Tosh. I don't know much about them personally.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on the former relationship between Peterson and Wilcox? As in, was Peterson displeased with Wilcox bolting for U-Dub? Probably a dumb question, few coaches will admit anything publicly, but some of you seem to have a pretty good handle on all things BSU.

I can't imagine many scenarios better than Wilcox and Peterson being reunited with a pretty good group of players (still) on the roster.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Wilcox left BSU for Tennessee, after that one year he went to UW. I don't think Petersen can fault him for building his resume.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Rumor has it Petersen is bringing his DC from Boise St.

Sucks it means Wilcox is gone. My best bet is Wilcox will be USC DC or Boise St. HC...

Throwdown

Reaction score
Doesn't EXACTLY mean he's the DC, but it doesn't look very promising for the hope of the Petersen/Wilcox combo