Drafting CB Keith McGill

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Replacement for Maxwell or insurance for Sherman?

[youtube]JasngovzDF0[/youtube]

On paper, Utah's Keith McGill looks like a Sherman clone:

Sherman's size: 6'2.5, 198
McGill's size: 6'2.8, 211

Sherman's arm length: 32''
McGill's arm length: 33.25''

Sherman's 10-yard split: 1.56s
McGill's 10-yard split: 1.50s

Sherman's 40-yard dash: 4.56s
McGill's 40-yard dash: 4.51s

Sherman's broad jump: 125''
McGill's broad jump: 129''

Sherman's vertical: 38''
McGill's vertical: 39''

McGill led the Pac-12 in 2013 with 12 pass breakups. As a senior in 2010, Sherman had nine pass breakups. Each had 13 total passes defended in their final collegiate seasons. Both players had minimal experience playing CB in college. Sherman moved from WR to CB in his fourth year. McGill was a JC All-American at FS, but then missed the 2012 season with an injury before being converted to CB for the Utes.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Here's why I don't want Keith McGill...

Born: March 9, 1989. He's already 25 years old. Older than Earl Thomas.

If we can get him in the 5th round or later, go for it. Otherwise, I don't like spending relatively high draft picks on guys that old.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1oak10a1 said:
Here's why I don't want Keith McGill...

Born: March 9, 1989. He's already 25 years old. Older than Earl Thomas.

If we can get him in the 5th round or later, go for it. Otherwise, I don't like spending relatively high draft picks on guys that old.

I don't think that will matter as much to the Seahawks as it will to other teams. The way our system is set up, most of our rookies simply play out their four-year rookie deals before signing their second contract with another team. It happened with Thurmond. It's probably going to happen with Maxwell after this season, then with Lane after next season, and then with Simon the year after that. They just have to keep re-loading with great players who fit their system.

McGill at No. 64 would be quite a steal.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Wenhawk":g0v495xb said:
I like jean-Baptist but McGill would be nice too.

JEAN-BAPTISTE and MCGILL are similar players. He's a little slower than McGill and a little more stiff in the hips, but still a very good player. He has a better vertical than McGill, while McGill had the better 10-yard split, broad jump, 40 time, and short shuttle. I don't really trust any of Jean-Baptiste's reported pro day times because they are so off from his official combine times.

There are a lot of good corners in this class. The only highly regarded one I don't like at all is Bradley Roby. Alcohol problems aside, he got beaten like a drum by every decent WR he faced:

[youtube]Szwx3JoMQik[/youtube]

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I would prefer Mcgill over Baptiste myself. Neither are finished products by a long shot.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think both these guys go a lot sooner than they probably should, simply because teams are going to try to replicate our secondary.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I have seen them both going as early as 2nd round but it would be a square peg in a round hole for many teams and I could see both making it to the 3rd maybe even 4th. Although some teams may just try to copy us personnel wise and not actually change their scheme to fit their players.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
McGill also gives you versatility at two positions of need: CB and FS.