DT Malik McDowell expected to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Here is a smattering of pre-draft articles on McDowell's "laziness."

Of 16 personnel people asked by the Journal Sentinel to identify the leading defensive lineman with the best chance to fail, McDowell drew half the votes (eight) and [Tim Williams of Alabama] was second with four.

What he saw was McDowell disappearing in games by early October and showing up late and then lollygagging at practice.

“Worst interview in our room at the combine,” one NFL personnel man said. “Completely sucked the life out of the room. He’s everything that’s wrong with the modern athlete.

“Been entitled his whole life. Not a worker. Doesn’t practice. Asks to be taken out of games all the time. Rolls his ankle and you’d think he had three compound fractures the way that he reacts. It’s hard enough with guys that aren’t (expletive).”

As poorly as McDowell played and handled himself at the combine, he might slide to the second round.

“This guy is an undisciplined and indifferent kind of a player,” said an evaluator from an NFC team. “He’s so gifted but he’s kind of his own man. You’d have to have a coach that could relate to him, that he trusted. If you did the guy could be as good as these other guys.”

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sport ... 100738052/

McDowell isn't just hit or miss. He's get rich or go broke.

The problem is his discipline will waiver at times causing maddening displays which are more than easily identified in his film.

The disciplinary issues also runneth over into the locker room as well, where he's seen as the Terrell Owens' type -- making enemies of coaches and teammates alike. A tremendous upside he indeed has, but as someone like the now-ousted Greg Hardy found out the hard way:

People still have to want to play with you.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboy ... l-52354901

His unusual pass-rushing technique might drive his NFL coaching staff crazy for a bit. McDowell even talked at the combine about how coaches have tried to clean up that technique in the past, only to throw in the towel. “They tried to help me out but I really couldn’t get it right,” he said. ”I tried to tweak the technique a little bit ... and after a certain point they just started teaching me my own style of play.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/31/malik ... ing-report

"He's just a little lazy and I worry about whether he is going to be a self-starter." -- NFC North area scout

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557970

Former Michigan State DL Malik McDowell received the dubious distinction of being named a “loser” of the 2017 NFL Combine by Yahoo Sports’ Eric Edholm.

Why? McDowell’s overall numbers didn’t jump off the page, but at 6-foot-6 and 295 pounds, his 4.85-second 40-yard dash mark had to intrigue scouts, as well as his ability to play across the line.

But per Edholm, he stood out away from the TV screen for the wrong reasons. One NFL team told Edholm of McDowell, “Worst interview we did.” Another reportedly said, “Awful interview. Awful.”

McDowell has been dogged by questions of work ethic, to which he responded on Sunday by saying, “That is not a problem at all.” He added that teams have said he needs to work on playing hard every down.

Said one team to Edholm, “He might be the type who, maybe he falls (in the draft) and it lights a fire under him. I don’t know. But I need that light on more often, and he didn’t like it when we asked him about that.”

https://www.landof10.com/michigan-state ... k-mcdowell

I hate to question a player's passion, but it is a red flag for me when I see different effort and discipline on crucial and non-crucial downs. First and ten is a crucial down if you give maximum effort and force the team into second-and-long situations because it makes the offense one-dimensional. If discipline or effort are an issue, then his bust potential starts to reach "Dion Jordan" territory.

Against double-teams, he struggles, and it bothers me to see him shut his motor down when he has been neutralized. The best players at his position excel in this area and often make plays 5-8 yards down the field. Being initially beaten is one thing, but giving up on the play is another big red flag. He has to learn to play to the whistle because when he finishes good things happen. Big hits can energize a defense, even when the outcome of the play went in favor of the offense, and with his size he has the ability to cause fumbles with his power and a running start. Second effort is crucial in football, especially among defensive linemen.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scou ... Dowell.asp

Last season, Dion Jordan did succeed in rescuitating his career.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
hawknation2018":33f042hy said:
He's just a little lazy and I worry about whether he is going to be a self-starter." -- NFC North area scout

Again, these negative comments are coming from the combine and are all stemming from the 3-9 season MSU had in 2016. It was a total shit show in East Lansing. You think McDowell was the only one who was giving up on plays and goofing around at practice that season? He had a bad season and then a bad performance at the combine. If I had to answer the same questions over and over about being lazy I probably would get annoyed as hell. He should have had a pro day instead. Better yet he probably should have stayed for his Senior season but I wouldn't want to play for Mark Dantonio anymore than I had too either, no wonder he made his ankle sprain look like a compound fracture.

I think the NFC North Scout in your quote above is the most accurate take on McDowell.

Look there's no way these teams are even talking to him unless he had the monster season he had in 2015. If you looked at the YouTube video I linked you saw him regularly taking on double teams and blowing up plays. With the right coach and some defensive support around him I think he has the potential to be a great asset. I don't think it's costing the Seahawks all that much to keep him on the payroll until their sure he's done.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
SeaWolv":3fnoqsow said:
hawknation2018":3fnoqsow said:
He's just a little lazy and I worry about whether he is going to be a self-starter." -- NFC North area scout

Again, these negative comments are coming from the combine and are all stemming from the 3-9 season MSU had in 2016. It was a total shit show in East Lansing. You think McDowell was the only one who was giving up on plays and goofing around at practice that season? He had a bad season and then a bad performance at the combine. If I had to answer the same questions over and over about being lazy I probably would get annoyed as hell. He should have had a pro day instead. Better yet he probably should have stayed for his Senior season but I wouldn't want to play for Mark Dantonio anymore than I had too either, no wonder he made his ankle sprain look like a compound fracture.

I think the NFC North Scout in your quote above is the most accurate take on McDowell.

Look there's no way these teams are even talking to him unless he had the monster season he had in 2015. If you looked at the YouTube video I linked you saw him regularly taking on double teams and blowing up plays. With the right coach and some defensive support around him I think he has the potential to be a great asset. I don't think it's costing the Seahawks all that much to keep him on the payroll until their sure he's done.

There's a lot there, including "showing up late and then lollygagging at practice."

"He’s everything that’s wrong with the modern athlete," one NFL personnel man said. “Been entitled his whole life. Not a worker. Doesn’t practice."

But the most damning stuff was the tape itself of him giving up on plays.

In response to what happened with McDowell, the Seahawks have changed their draft strategy. As a result, Schneider said they are being more careful with red flags and have a smaller draft board than before.

kf3339

Reaction score
SeaWolv":rumco5w8 said:
hawknation2018":rumco5w8 said:
And, as a result, it sounds like his career is finished. Too bad for him. Watching a player take plays off is not confidence boosting, regardless of the excuses. I understand you're a fan of his game, but I'm going to put the matter to bed.

You have no idea if his career is finished, no one does. I think it would be foolish for the Seahawk's FO to give up on him just yet. I am not a fan of his as I hate anything that has to do with MSU but I do believe that he could be a huge asset to the Seahawk's defense. Once he does I might consider becoming a fan of his.

Yes, he Does.

McDowell is finished. A team doesn't give up his number to another new player if they have "ANY" intention of keeping him going forward.

Sad, but that is just a fact.

seabowl

Reaction score
Hawkfish":zhbpefd8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/997679091888275456[/tweet]

Is this is recent then I agree. He looks so thin.

original poster

Reaction score
seabowl":jmk3sxs7 said:
Hawkfish":jmk3sxs7 said:

Is this is recent then I agree. He looks so thin.

He posted the image on Instagram yesterday apparently.

rjdriver

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":31fnkjzq said:
Hindsight is 20/20...

And expensive....

How much will this gamble cost the organization anyway? I mean, he did say he’s rich.

The Breh

Reaction score
He doesn't resemble anything that looks like a DT.
Everything...torso, arms, legs all look slim as hell.
I don't envision the man in that pic playing on any NFL line in the foreseeable future.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It’s time to either take a shit or get off the pot for the Seahawks where McDowell is concerned.

bighawk

Reaction score
Call me crazy i just think they are waiting for anygood news to keep him. If he is not on the team just another one biting the dust. He can always take another number. I would hate to seehim be someone's Dion Jordan. Keep him

chris98251

Reaction score
He still can't participate in anything, looking at him he would need a full year to get mass and muscle put back on as well as training and then practice.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Hawkfish":jidncw1n said:
That look on his face might be permanent and the young lady could be just helping him get into the house after he wandered off into the street.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SeaWolv":7s3z11vz said:
hawknation2018":7s3z11vz said:

Nobody is questioning McDowell's talent, or his potential. That is a moot point, because it was the main thing he had going for him. Some say if he didn't have character concerns he would be a top 10 pick.

The main question here is his motivation, drive and mentality as a player. All of those concerns seem to have been well founded. As of now he has yet to play a single snap in the NFL, and it isn't clear that he will stay on this team.

Your rationalizing it away doesn't cut it for me. "If I gad to answer the same questions over and over about being lazy I probably would get annoyed as hell". This line of thought is asinine. He is interviewing for a position that will pay him millions of dollars. Other players have to sit through being roasted, and grilled by NFL teams, some asked very personal questions. Yet, why was Malik McDowell singled out as being "one of the very worst we've ever interviewed"? You don't hear that kind of rhetoric very often from scouts, McDowell clearly said some things that rubbed people in the NFL the wrong way.

The other things that came out about him in practice, and his tape showing him taking plays off. Your rationalization here is that he played for a bad team. I say so what? Many other NFL prospects play for small schools, and bad teams, yet you don't see them pulling the same crap Malik McDowell did. Playing for a bad team is not a good rational reason for fooling around at practice, and being lazy on the field, and at practice. Malik McDowell may have played for a bad team, but he had top 10 draft potential, especially after a strong 2015 campaign. McDowell had all of the reasons in the world (well at least a few million of them) to give it his all. Despite the huge incentive, he decided it was better to just to chill.

You keep making excuses for the guy, but the comments from Pete and Schneider about the change in draft process, his personnel actions on McDowell's end make it really hard to defend him. He is on his last legs as a Seahawk and maybe even an NFL player. He has done nothing so far but prove the scouts, and talking heads right.

Status
Not open for further replies.