Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

hawknation2018

Reaction score
For a trade to happen, a team would need to be willing to take the risk that Earl will end his holdout. He only has one year left on his deal. He's 29. He wants a big contract. He has expressed doubts about continuing his football career in the past, and the recent holdout threat does nothing to assuage those concerns. All of that is working against the possibility of a trade, which seems incredibly unlikely at this point.

sully3407

Reaction score
Uncle Si":zk3nqhqn said:
Seahaaaawks":zk3nqhqn said:
AgentDib":zk3nqhqn said:
We were all worried about this for good reason but it's still very disappointing. Kam's holdout really hurt our 2015 season and I'm pessimistic that Earl's holdout will end up a similar way.
Wasn’t it Earl who said in a post game interview after going 0-2 something to the effect of “he needs to be out here with us”. Basically calling Kam selfish for holding out without saying it? Now he is going to do the same thing...

its not the same thing though...

that extra year makes a significant difference.

We're not into the season yet, there still is time for this to be resolved. And that extra year makes a huge difference in contract negotiations.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Move I liked: It's actually a move the Seahawks haven't made -- hanging on to Earl Thomas as opposed to giving him away. It wouldn't make sense for the Seahawks to trade their All-Pro free safety for anything less than a second-round pick, and it seems such an offer hasn't been made. Even a second-rounder wouldn't quite feel like an equitable return given Thomas' talent and how much he means to Seattle's defense, particularly now that several others are gone and with his safety mate, Kam Chancellor, in danger of never playing again. There's the potential for a messy standoff now that Thomas has said he won't report to the Seahawks until his contract situation is "resolved." But the team holds the leverage here, and dealing with a brief holdout would be wiser than dumping Thomas for a mid-round pick.

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... f-turnover

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I cheer for the team not the player. I'm standing by my team right now, and Earl's little hold out is against the team. It will not end well for him or the franchise. You signed, play another season lights out and you'll be re-signed, if the Seahawks don't want you any longer and you have a great season, some other team will sign you. Play the game and enjoy it. Keep the mouths (Bennett, Sherm) out of your head and play.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
adeltaY":2t8kbvky said:
No LoB guys going to (voluntarily) retire with the Hawks? That's pretty grim.
Very few stars retire from the team they blew up with. Not grim at all.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":2k9x6wge said:
ET is playing a little hard ball, so let's play along.
He will make about 9M this year. FT for him should be about 12M. We get ET for 21M for two years. Tough luck if he is unhappy. IMO, he might miss a game or 2, but no more than that.
That is the hammer our FO can fall back on if need be.
BINGO.

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":i6r5gm23 said:
No LoB guys going to (voluntarily) retire with the Hawks? That's pretty grim.

Yes, one will! Kam will voluntarily retire a Hawk next year I'll bet.

147137 620x1003

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3sowl3oc said:
I cheer for the team not the player. I'm standing by my team right now, and Earl's little hold out is against the team. It will not end well for him or the franchise. You signed, play another season lights out and you'll be re-signed, if the Seahawks don't want you any longer and you have a great season, some other team will sign you. Play the game and enjoy it. Keep the mouths (Bennett, Sherm) out of your head and play.

I understand your point about signed deals. Yes, the players should honor contracts they have agreed to and signed. On the other hand, teams don't honor them either. Sherman was under contract. A contract the Seahawks and Sherman agreed to. This is an example of the Seahawks not honoring their agreement with the player. Yes, I understand that Sherm was hurt and his status was uncertain at the time of his release. Still he was under a contract. That's the point.

Many other cases around the NFL that the players get shafted. So it's on both the players and teams to show more integrity with contracts. Neither side should sign or create a contract that either of them have no intentions of fulfilling. I'm very absolutely sure the team and the player have a very good idea of whether they are going to see the contract through at the time of signing. If they don't, then their agent is doing a horrible job (for players) and the front office for teams.

toffee

Reaction score
On average NFL players have maximum of 15 earning years from rookie til mid 30s. one shouldn’t fault a player for trying to get as much as they could during that period. Earning years could cut short with injuries, aging etc.

I have been entertained by the whole Earl Thomas saga, how Earl repeatedly hurt his only quest for that big buck long term pay check by tarnishing his brand, and minimizing leverage. haha would love to have a drink with Earl’s agent and hear him vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustTheTip

Reaction score
hawkfan68":205kutor said:
SpokaneHawks":205kutor said:

I understand your point about signed deals. Yes, the players should honor contracts they have agreed to and signed. On the other hand, teams don't honor them either. Sherman was under contract. A contract the Seahawks and Sherman agreed to. This is an example of the Seahawks not honoring their agreement with the player. Yes, I understand that Sherm was hurt and his status was uncertain at the time of his release. Still he was under a contract. That's the point.

Many other cases around the NFL that the players get shafted. So it's on both the players and teams to show more integrity with contracts. Neither side should sign or create a contract that either of them have no intentions of fulfilling. I'm very absolutely sure the team and the player have a very good idea of whether they are going to see the contract through at the time of signing. If they don't, then their agent is doing a horrible job (for players) and the front office for teams.

Teams do honor the contract as they are written. Part of the way they are written is with provisions to allow the teams to terminate without fine or penalty (beyond the guaranteed money.) Players don't have such provisions, hence the fines when they hold out. This is the way the CBA is written and agreed to by both the players and the owners. The lack of guarantees to individual players is in large part their fault as they have focused more on a larger piece of the profits for the union as a whole than guarantees to the individual players.

As mentioned above, I think the Seahawks have been way too lenient with players who don't honor their contracts. It started out as a healthy culture the team was trying to cultivate but quickly turned into players with huge egos, and for selfish purposes, taking advantage of and pushing the limits on the additional hospitality the team offered in the name of the community.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":38eruh36 said:
Many other cases around the NFL that the players get shafted.

Like where?

No one's ever held a gun to a players head to sign their contract. So unless the player's agent is a complete moron, the player understands perfectly what he has to do to get all the money from his contract.

Earl's like every other player that's ever signed a long term high value contract, he knew he had to stay healthy and productive to see the end of it, and more importantly to get an extension.

He hasn't done that, so he's not getting an extension. It's as simple as that..............and he doesn't have the one thing that would help him get that extension, leverage.

So he's holding out, that's his only leverage, and it's not going to work.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Either sign him or trade him but either way get it done preseason so that it doesn’t become a distraction and so he doesn’t miss all of camp and Pre season only to get a deal done and pull a hammy

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1kbrw5jn said:
Either sign him or trade him but either way get it done preseason so that it doesn’t become a distraction and so he doesn’t miss all of camp and Pre season only to get a deal done and pull a hammy

I agree about the distraction part, but if Earl comes back, plays well and stays healthy then his value goes way up later in the season and next off season for trade value.

Obviously he can also play like crap and/or get hurt and his value plummets.

But it's in his best interest to come back, kick ass and then his trade value is at the level where we'll trade him..........and not just franchise him in hopes he eventually has a great year.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":547ix4z8 said:
brimsalabim":547ix4z8 said:

I agree about the distraction part, but if Earl comes back, plays well and stays healthy then his value goes way up later in the season and next off season for trade value.

But it's in his best interest to come back, kick ass and then his trade value is at the level where we'll trade him..........and not just franchise him in hopes he eventually has a great year.

Why would his value go way up? I disagree. The guy was injured 2 x in 8 years after playing over 100 straight games. Once was iron man Kams leg whip that takes any player in the NFL out. Other than that, one hammy issue. His value is what it is. The only thing dropping his value to other teams is he opened his big mouth about Dallas and drove away his market demand, and also stated he wants Berry level contract (which was a mistake by KC BTW)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":mhco3kbj said:
Sgt. Largent":mhco3kbj said:
brimsalabim":mhco3kbj said:

Why would his value go way up? I disagree. The guy was injured 2 x in 8 years after playing over 100 straight games. Once was iron man Kams leg whip that takes any player in the NFL out. Other than that, one hammy issue. His value is what it is. The only thing dropping his value to other teams is he opened his big mouth about Dallas and drove away his market demand, and also stated he wants Berry level contract (which was a mistake by KC BTW)

So you're saying if Earl comes back, plays every game lights out and goes to the Pro Bowl...................that doesn't increase his trade value next off season?

How could it not?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":21iyig7y said:
Seymour":21iyig7y said:
Sgt. Largent":21iyig7y said:
brimsalabim":21iyig7y said:

So you're saying if Earl comes back, plays every game lights out and goes to the Pro Bowl...................that doesn't increase his trade value next off season?

How could it not?

Because it's a given he is already at that level. Its 2-3 years from now that the big questions with huge contracts will come into play. It may help a little, just not a lot IMO.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
brimsalabim":sim9njvb said:

Re: "pulling a hammy". You never know what can happen when the subconscious is not in sync with the rest of the brain.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3kylu1xj said:
Because it's a given he is already at that level. Its 2-3 years from now that the big questions with huge contracts will come into play. It may help a little, just not a lot IMO.

Huh?

The given is he's an extremely talented safety, but with recent injury history. That's what's driving down his interest, no one wants to give Earl a massive extension when he's been hurt the last two years.

So yes, one full year of health and high level production would most definitely help Earl, and us.

He still may not get a big extension next year, but the interest would certainly be more if he has a healthy productive year. Maybe more teams come into the trade talks, which means we get a 1st or 2nd, instead of a 3rd or 4th, which is what's been reported.