Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I just read his article in the Players Tribune and then came straight here. Glad to see the predictable reactions to the article, it’s nice to know that some things never change.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Earl Thomas":22pnzjry said:
If you’re risking your body to deliver all of this value to an organization, then you deserve some sort of assurance that the organization will take care of you if you get hurt. It’s that simple. This isn’t new, and this isn’t complicated. It’s the reason I’m holding out — I want to be able to give my everything, on every play, without any doubt in my mind.

What Earl stubbornly ignores with this statement is that the NFL is a hard-cap league, and if you give something like 50% guaranteed to all your good players, one year where you catch the injury bug can screw your entire organization for YEARS.

Damnit, Earl. Be realistic. I want you to be a Seahawk for life, but you're being out of touch on this...

JustTheTip

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1cw9d82q said:
Ad Hawk":1cw9d82q said:
hawknation2018":1cw9d82q said:
“Pay me or trade me.”

NOPE.

Wait a sec, though. . . aren't we already paying him? :argue:

Hmmm. . .

Not if he doesn’t come to work. Sucks how people have to show up for paychecks.

But yeah, if he shows up tomorrow, he would make $8.5 million more this year, and the Seahawks could choose to waive all his fines.

I really hope the organization decided there would be no waiving of any fines and made that clear to him and his agent up front.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think Earl starts game 1, I just don't see Seattle caving when they hold all the cards. The funny thing is he can be mad at Seattle but he should be mad at Dallas from the sounds of it they only think he's worth a 3rd round pick. Best he can do is play at an all pro level and then see what he gets in free agency.

djb28

Reaction score
I wish I had the money he pays in fines. You could feed an entire third world country on that! I could care less anymore if he is here or gone. Or any player that acts like this. Im ready for the new season with what we got!

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Based on TC reports, T-2 (Tedric Thompson) is looking pretty good out there at FS.

Earl's bargaining position/leverage is continuing to slip away.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1025502589545140224[/tweet]

James in PA

Reaction score
getnasty":35cahx0t said:
I think Earl starts game 1, I just don't see Seattle caving when they hold all the cards. The funny thing is he can be mad at Seattle but he should be mad at Dallas from the sounds of it they only think he's worth a 3rd round pick. Best he can do is play at an all pro level and then see what he gets in free agency.
Maybe he’s pissed at Dallas too, which could explain why he recently told the Raiders to come get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I can't wait until Earl Thomas's world comes crashing down. "God is with me in my hold out". Okay Earl Thomas, if there is a god I highly doubt he cares about your extra millions of dollars. God is not with you here, and if you're referring to the biblical god --- he explicitly warned about excess and riches. In a biblical sense, Jesus would be scoffing at you like he did at the Pharisees. A blind hypocrite is what you are Earl.

Secondly, can't you tell? Nobody is interested in your services at the prices you are demanding. You have no leverage, you have no leg to stand on. Earl Thomas is like a spoiled brat that is finally told no. This drama is quite unbecoming of him as a player, and person. I think it highlights why Pete is not negotiating with him --- you don't negotiate with terrorist.

I'm so done with Earl and his antics. There is a special place in Cleveland for you, Thomas. You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1prjk39b said:
I can't wait until Earl Thomas's world comes crashing down. "God is with me in my hold out". Okay Earl Thomas, if there is a god I highly doubt he cares about your extra millions of dollars. God is not with you here, and if you're referring to the biblical god --- he explicitly warned about excess and riches. In a biblical sense, Jesus would be scoffing at you like he did at the Pharisees. A blind hypocrite is what you are Earl.

Secondly, can't you tell? Nobody is interested in your services at the prices you are demanding. You have no leverage, you have no leg to stand on. Earl Thomas is like a spoiled brat that is finally told no. This drama is quite unbecoming of him as a player, and person. I think it highlights why Pete is not negotiating with him --- you don't negotiate with terrorist.

I'm so done with Earl and his antics. There is a special place in Cleveland for you, Thomas. You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
The safety market has been relatively dry for free agents. I don’t see how he expects a windfall if even the free agents didn’t really get paid.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":qoetorhb said:
Spin Doctor":qoetorhb said:

The safety market has been relatively dry for free agents. I don’t see how he expects a windfall if even the free agents didn’t really get paid.
Exactly. Vaccaro, Reid and Mitchell still remain unsigned because nobody wants to give them the money they're looking for. I don't see how he thinks he is going to pull a Berry contract off in this kind of climate. The deck is stacked against him, his leverage is laughably bad right now.

toffee

Reaction score
Is it me or everytime Earl talked, in person, or via social media, his trade stock dropped. The more he and his agent opened their mouth, they lost support from the 12s and front offices around the league.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Jville":3ktrfggx said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1025502589545140224[/tweet]
So even if Earl were to report today, it looks like he would forfeit all of his first two-week paycheck to the team in fines.

If he reports, Earl will gross $1.0M every two weeks but after withholding taxes are taken out, his take home pay will fall short of his fines ($732,000).

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":sao72v08 said:
Sgt. Largent":sao72v08 said:
toffee":sao72v08 said:

I think toffee just stroked out.

Nah....that is Siri. She's going through menopause. :3-1:
(funny how that word manages to blame us too! LOL)

Men-o-pause, that’s what happens to your sex life when she reaches that stage. Sometimes it lasts for years.

Don’t give her a gun either b/c bad things could happen.