Why so little running by RW?

Seafan

Reaction score
I hadn't seen this discussed here but RW didn't look like himself. AZ obviously closed down the read option last week but there were a few times I was shocked that Russell didn't take the ball and it looked like if he did he would have had some good runs. The one run to the right on that goal line series I thought he could have scored. I was thinking perhaps he has a sore hammy or something he didn't look like himself. Anyone else see this?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Looks like he's running fine to me. Did he not nearly house a 50 yard run against the Cardinals about five days ago? Niners have always been good at closing and Russell has rarely rushed all over them. However, in terms of shifting the pocket and taking what was available on scrambles, he looked as mobile as ever.

OP
OP
Seafan

Seafan

Reaction score
I should have made it more clear I'm talking about last night against the niners. On the read option he never once took the ball and it almost looked like he absolutely was not going to take it, especially after he seemed to force the ball back to Lynch on that fumble. I was expecting him to take the ball a couple times and he didn't.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
He may have been a little extra sore from the Cards game with less time to rest before this game. Since we had the lead and our defense was holding them tight there wasn't much of a need to take extra risk this yesterday. I wouldn't be shocked to see him keep it more against the Eagles, especially since they are weaker vs the run then the 49ers.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Niners play the RO very well, plus Borland was all over him. I thought he was going to score on that goal line run too but it was just a great effort by Brooks. He looked fine running throughout the night tho. But yes after all that running vs AZ and 3 days rest, I'm sure he was a little sore

Blitzer88

Reaction score
If you go back and watch the game, the Niners always had someone there to take Russell's running away. There were maybe a few times where he maybe could of taken it, but those were few and far between. The Niners are a very fundamentally sound defense when it comes to defending the read-option.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Cards play so much man cover in the secondary that if Russ breaks contain he has lots of green. SF plays a ton more zone, so the DBs and LBs have eyes on the QB a lot more.

pehawk

Reaction score
SF has good speed on their DL and LB. Example; Wilson was brought down from behind, what, three times?

May've just been the right choice.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Besides, he had some awesome scrambles that were demoralizing to the Niners D, he just threw after those scrambles. He doesn't have to run for yards to make a defense cry Uncle.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seafan":1ve8kikh said:
I should have made it more clear I'm talking about last night against the niners. On the read option he never once took the ball and it almost looked like he absolutely was not going to take it, especially after he seemed to force the ball back to Lynch on that fumble. I was expecting him to take the ball a couple times and he didn't.
I questioned his hesitancy to take off too, but on watching the game over again, he wasn't as surefire open to just take off, as the 9rs Defense had a couple of guys spying him for just that scenario.
The 49rs didn't send the whole Defense at RW on every snap, because they knew that doing so would be overcommitting.
I think the 9rs Defense played Wilson as well as they could.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
As others have mentioned, the 49ers did a good job of containing him on runs but he didn't need to run as much...he was able to make plays against them with his arm.

sturg78

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3cny9nrs said:
As others have mentioned, the 49ers did a good job of containing him on runs but he didn't need to run as much...he was able to make plays against them with his arm.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
He's just automatically supposed to tear them apart with his legs even when the niners have the speed, system and discipline to keep him bottled up? I get the same attitude with a guy a work who has Wilson as his fantasy QB. He actually gets upset when he see's Wilson slide, when he could have gotten a few more yards by barreling ahead RGIII style. The score didn't make that a necessity, and I'm sure he considered the speed and skill of the niner players. What looks open to us is something they can close on in a hurry, as they showed repeatedly.

evergreen

Reaction score
Aren't they the #2 defense with the #2 rushing QB to practice with?

hawk45

Reaction score
pehawk":25qhh12l said:
SF has good speed on their DL and LB. Example; Wilson was brought down from behind, what, three times?

May've just been the right choice.

^^^^ Seriously. The Niners have been the team where Russ running with it has led to him getting creamed. Too disciplined and too fast out there on the edges.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Not to mention that Lynch was very effective. Wilson has said many times that he'd rather pass it than run with it.

If he doesn't need to run with it, he won't.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
On one play it looked like he had a wide open field if he'd kept the ball and it looked like he saw that too and tried to keep the ball, but Lynch seemed to already firmly have it, because Wilson reached for the longest time but ultimately didn't get the ball from him.

Optimus25

Reaction score
My concern is if santa clara tries to open up kap to running more in the rematch. In the first half alone that i rewatched, he had a 3 plays which would have been positive gains where anything could have happened if he would break 1 tackle, IF the play call would have been a true read option (i think several of theirs were designed runs from a read option look) or IF it was a bootleg call a la russell wilson so often. One time kam had containment on left side of D, and he sucked down on the RB too much. I know kam is fast, but i think he completely underestimated kaps speed if the ball did not go to hyde, as kam was literally the only guy capable of stopping kap for what could have been 20yd plus...i really hope the team focuses on assignments in the rematch, for example kam had NO responsibility or business sucking down on the play i described.

OrFan

Reaction score
Why so little running from him? Because he had read on Seahawks.net that some people were upset that he ran too much instead of passing. He just wanted to make them have a happy Thanksgiving also.

I say he should run on every play, head back to the pocket, then throw a 50 plus yard td each and every time.