Eagles Breakdown of Hawks

Gametime

Reaction score
Not sure what to make of these breakdowns and thoughts on the Eagles gameplan. They seem really watered down and make me like the knowledge of the Hawks is superficial. Man, hoping we destroy the Eagles in a Playoff push "statement" game.

On using a spy to cover Wilson
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/video ... 2bb7855557

Breakdown of the Hawks from the Eagles POV.
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/video ... d455b6086f

My biggest issue is the Hawks "not having an offensive identity" take. While this may have been true, punting percy and the weeks that have followed have proven otherwise.

Thoughts?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Gametime":oy17edaa said:
Not sure what to make of these breakdowns and thoughts on the Eagles gameplan. They seem really watered down and make me like the knowledge of the Hawks is superficial. Man, hoping we destroy the Eagles in a Playoff push "statement" game.

On using a spy to cover Wilson
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/video ... 2bb7855557

Breakdown of the Hawks from the Eagles POV.
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/video ... d455b6086f

My biggest issue is the Hawks "not having an offensive identity" take. While this may have been true, punting percy and the weeks that have followed have proven otherwise.

Thoughts?
Thoughts? It isn't a 10am game and we play well in Philadelphia and Sanchez. We got this.

drdiags

Reaction score
Greg Cosell isn't a big fan of Wilson. I would say he leans more toward a Prisco's view on Wilson so I take his comments with a grain of salt. I know that Doub respects him and Cosell has been with NFL Films for a long time. I think he has a little bias toward the Eagles, but no more than any the Seahawks folks would be toward the Seahawks.

If I take my rose colored glasses off, I would admit that the vibe I get from comments made by players on the sideline and noted NFL analyst is that the offense does have contingency for improvisation by Wilson built-in. Does it rely heavily on this? Probably. Will the Eagles be able to shut it down with a spy? Not sure. Others have tried and have had some success, just haven't completely shut down the offense.

Though the Cards and Rams last year, here and at Edwards Jones.

Smellyman

Reaction score
leading rushing offense in the league has no identity?

He does say some things that are true. They do rely on RW's spontaneity and he says RW is the best at it in the league.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Keep in mind that these are offense comments from the most daring and multifaceted offense in the league, and that Cosell, and rightly so, has said for some time that the route concepts Seattle runs are exceedingly simplistic. He ties that to Russ's capabilities, which is where he goes off the rails.

We run the ball. That is an identity. They rush plays in at breakneck pace. That is an identity.

They will spy Russ. They will single up on the outside, a lot, and we won't take advantage like we should. They will blitz, quite a bit. They will kind of start with a variation of the defense they use for RG III.

Wilson is usually a shock to teams that don't see him all that often. It's all theoretical until they whiff the first time, then it's just aggravating.

The Philly D is much better than the yardage says, they force the lowest completion percentage in the league and have been good at getting to the QB. They are extrememly vulnerable to big plays though, and give up a lot of passing TDs. Boom or bust. Which is our passing game too.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I hope they spy Wilson, the zone read to Marshawn will tear them up.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I the vid with Cossell, I guess he does not have all that good of memory since both Cam and Wagz are both in and Mebane went down in the Giants game.

Also the Hawks tend to struggle against teams that can match them physically. We will see if Philly is that physical. Should be a great game.

kpak76

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":3k9va2iu said:
I the vid with Cossell, I guess he does not have all that good of memory since both Cam and Wagz are both in and Mebane went down in the Giants game.

Also the Hawks tend to struggle against teams that can match them physically. We will see if Philly is that physical. Should be a great game.

This game Sunday is the most difficult game left on our schedule. Win this and we run the table and are heading into the playoffs 12-4 as divisiona champs. Possibly the top sead in the NFC.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":8y2xevvq said:
Keep in mind that these are offense comments from the most daring and multifaceted offense in the league, and that Cosell, and rightly so, has said for some time that the route concepts Seattle runs are exceedingly simplistic. He ties that to Russ's capabilities, which is where he goes off the rails.

We run the ball. That is an identity. They rush plays in at breakneck pace. That is an identity.

They will spy Russ. They will single up on the outside, a lot, and we won't take advantage like we should. They will blitz, quite a bit. They will kind of start with a variation of the defense they use for RG III.

Wilson is usually a shock to teams that don't see him all that often. It's all theoretical until they whiff the first time, then it's just aggravating.

The Philly D is much better than the yardage says, they force the lowest completion percentage in the league and have been good at getting to the QB. They are extrememly vulnerable to big plays though, and give up a lot of passing TDs. Boom or bust. Which is our passing game too.

Pretty well said. We have to beat them over the top to make them back off. If we try to use screens and a short passing game to beat the blitz, we'll probably be in trouble. I'm not too sure they can stop the run game though...their DL isn't talented enough, to be honest. It sure as hell isn't SF',s and they didn't stop us.

I think it's Trent Cole that's having a career year, and I also think he lines up over LT. Okung should eliminate him.

Not so sure how the read option will work on them, since they see it twice a year with RGIII. We have to win one on one matchups on the outside this game, establish the run, and execute with long drives down the field to keep our defense fresh and their offense off the field.

From what I've seen, they're not that physical and if we can keep them off the field, we'll wear them down in the 2nd half and run on them to close out.

kpak76

Reaction score
Hawks46":2t3tlfhb said:
Scottemojo":2t3tlfhb said:

Pretty well said. We have to beat them over the top to make them back off. If we try to use screens and a short passing game to beat the blitz, we'll probably be in trouble. I'm not too sure they can stop the run game though...their DL isn't talented enough, to be honest. It sure as hell isn't SF',s and they didn't stop us.

I think it's Trent Cole that's having a career year, and I also think he lines up over LT. Okung should eliminate him.

Not so sure how the read option will work on them, since they see it twice a year with RGIII. We have to win one on one matchups on the outside this game, establish the run, and execute with long drives down the field to keep our defense fresh and their offense off the field.

From what I've seen, they're not that physical and if we can keep them off the field, we'll wear them down in the 2nd half and run on them to close out.

Screens and short passes are how you beat the blitz. You have to know that when you take an additional guy out of coverage, it makes it easier for the WR to get open in theory. Of course it entails you have legit WR to start with, but that is how Wilson beat AZ's and SF blitz was the short stuff and screen passess.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
hard to take these fan-service videos seriously whether or not they are for or against us, it's not like the teams are looking at them going "oh yeah that's so true!". Half the time they are so off base you can tell they've only watched the last game or two, or caught whatever national game was on at some point. not saying that's the case for these, they seem decent, but I would hesitate to call them an "Eagles" breakdown of the hawks as much as an Eagles Media breakdown of the hawks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawks46":26qpxuyd said:
Scottemojo":26qpxuyd said:

The problem isn't schematic...in other words you're right; overloading a side with players on a screen pass usually counters a blitz very effectively. You have too many men in the middle of the field rushing a QB that got rid of the ball quickly.

The problem is that we are probably the worst team at executing screens in the NFL. Our WRs don't block well on the outside for each other and the RBs don't get open on a traditional screen. I don't know if we sell it poorly, our OL doesn't get out fast enough, or what, but basic screens out of the backfield with a RB are almost as bad as bubble screens for us. Delayed screens with a RB to the opposite side have been deadly, but they're also a dangerous pass.

You can beat a blitz other ways: you can run away from the blitz, you can max protect, Wilson can scramble. I don't like max protect for us as our receivers don't win a lot of 1 on 1's.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I think we are the type of team that gives Kelly teams headaches, strong D, lots of power running, ala Stanford.

Plus yeah, I feel good about this D vs. McCoy and Sanchez, more worried about check downs and screens to Sproles.

Philly is really sharp on special teams though so we have to really lock it down on kick offs and punt returns.

kearly

Reaction score
First, consider the source. Cosell. He knows his X's and O's a thousand times better than most of us, but he's staunchly old school and has done little to hide his contempt for QBs who don't fit the classic mold. That said, I really do love his non-draft analysis, and I think he makes good observations.

The commentary about Seattle's offense lacking identity is rooted in the fact that in 2014 Seattle has had to lean on improvised plays from Wilson more than ever. Running around like a squirrel and making magic happen isn't something coaches coach, hence the commentary about a lack of identity coming from the coaching staff.

Cosell is a guy who believes in the necessity of structure on offense, and sees improvised plays as random and flukey. I would guess that at least half the coaches in the NFL share a similar philosophy, including former coach Mike Holmgren.

In recent weeks, Seattle has gotten back to their old ways of pounding the rock more, but even then there's still a high degree of improvisation as the game plan seems to change week to week. Against SF, Seattle barely targeted their WRs, instead opting to throw to their RBs a lot more.

Philly will of course try to spy Wilson, but Barwin is not an elite athlete, and more importantly, the Eagles aren't used to facing QBs who draw comparisons to Barry Sanders as a runner. So I think Wilson will run well, he ran well against the other three NFC East teams because they aren't used to seeing it.

pehawk

Reaction score
Does Sanchez have enough mustard on his ball to hit that 25 yard out? Enough mustard to rifle one in the zone between Wagz and Earl?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Reaneypark":1nrggx9p said:
I hope they spy Wilson, the zone read to Marshawn will tear them up.
Yup !, pick your poison.
This isn't a single pronged Offense.
There's also a flaw in reaching too far back into the Seahawks Offensive woes, and thinking you can defend against what, and who they have now.
Seahawks D, + O and STs are starting to believe in themselves again, and they are hitting their stride again.
Timing is everything.
I'm not counting this game as an easy win at all, BUT, like Marshawn Lynch says, "We Got Some Dogs" AND there's a lot of fight in them dogs.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Wilson will want his revenge from the Rose Bowl, he's already taken out Kirk Cousin and got his eyes out for Chip Kelly. This is a game that I think Wilson was waiting for.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's one thing for the Eagles coaching staff to be prepared for us and entirely another thing for the Eagles players to execute better than we do. I know it's boring but it really does come down to execution. Can our defense get off the field without our usual rotation and make their tempo backfire? Can our offense line make enough hay when run blocking to open up the passing game?

Latest posts