Quinn to interview with 9ers

Seafan

Reaction score
So is Rex Ryan. I'd love for Ryan to get that job and would hate if Quinn does.

homerun1970

Reaction score
I would think a defensive minded coach isn't where they should be looking. I doubt that either end up there. I think teams will be a wary buyer on D coordinators under Pete. It would seem there would be a little doubt of who overall is implementing the scheme.

McGruff

Reaction score
homerun1970":1ib9h1wc said:
I would think a defensive minded coach isn't where they should be looking. I doubt that either end up there. I think teams will be a wary buyer on D coordinators under Pete. It would seem there would be a little doubt of who overall is implementing the scheme.

Pipe dream.

But I would think they'd maintain continuity with Fangio rather than go with a defensive coach outside the organization.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
homerun1970":239p5nl1 said:
Jacksonville needs an influx of talent. Gus is doing alright thus far. Signs of improvement are there.

And I agree that the Whiners need offensive coaching help... they're set with defensive coaches.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
McGruff":blio2ao3 said:
homerun1970":blio2ao3 said:

Pipe dream.

But I would think they'd maintain continuity with Fangio rather than go with a defensive coach outside the organization.

Agreed. Defense is not where their problems lie, and Fangio is a damn good coordinator. They need an offensive guru to mentor Papaki.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Bradley is improving the Jags but I don't think the 3-13 record is the turnaround they envisioned. They do lack talent and Gus has picked off what he can from Seattle and other teams. I just say Fangio as D coordinator is far from the problem in SC. That defense played really well especially when you consider the injuries and distractions.

I think someone will take Quinn but I doubt highly its the 9ers. If we go all the way again maybe no one snags him.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
homerun1970":2m7yzsw5 said:
I think someone will take Quinn but I doubt highly its the 9ers. If we go all the way again maybe no one snags him.
Pretty much has to happen this week.

If he isn't offered a HC job and accepts this week, Quinn will be back with the Hawks next year.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Bradley probably needs to win 7+ games next year but that's just how it goes in the NFL and he is still well liked there. He doesn't control the talent and reports directly to the GM. You would expect him to be publicly very favorable of any FO moves.

I don't buy that you need an offensive guy for Kaep in SC. He might just be not a very good passer period, and whoever the HC is will bring in an OC and QB coach to try to figure that out. The exception would be if they need the HC slot to attract a guy like Bevell who has proven success with a mobile QB and they really want to go all in on Kaep. Fangio does great with their defense but there are a lot of good coordinators who are not head coach material, and as we have seen with Pete here the intangibles around a head coach can be just as important as the X's and O's.

It seems like Quinn would be a pretty good fit for the Jets job and he's from New Jersey so it would be coming back home for him. He's probably not famous enough for them though.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I think the question in Santa Clara is all about Fangio. If he is staying it could make things easier but the question is tricky. Does he want to go back to college with Jimmy? Does he want to stay as DC or does he want a promotion? If he isn't looking to be promoted does he want to have some say in the coaching tree? It seems unlikely Vic is willing to just ignore everything going on and is willing to just proceed as DC but that would make Santa Clara's choices much easier.

So why interview DC minded HC candidates? If Fangio is staying then the needs are obviously on offense. Hiring a DC minded HC would potentially threaten the way his defense works or how he runs it. Maybe they are hedging their bets if Fangio leaves.

To me keeping Fangio is the most important thing. Looking at Harbaughs offense even back to 2011 it has never been the reason that team was winning. Fangio kept that team alive while Harbaugh got all the credit.

If they let Fangio leave I predict a very long drought in Santa Clara and the 9ers may be looking up at the Raiders as the bay areas best team.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Holmgren would be a good fit for SF. Offensive guy, good with QBs, classy, familiar to the culture there and it is probably his dream job.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1x39ve0q said:
I think the question in Santa Clara is all about Fangio. If he is staying it could make things easier but the question is tricky. Does he want to go back to college with Jimmy? Does he want to stay as DC or does he want a promotion? If he isn't looking to be promoted does he want to have some say in the coaching tree? It seems unlikely Vic is willing to just ignore everything going on and is willing to just proceed as DC but that would make Santa Clara's choices much easier.

So why interview DC minded HC candidates? If Fangio is staying then the needs are obviously on offense. Hiring a DC minded HC would potentially threaten the way his defense works or how he runs it. Maybe they are hedging their bets if Fangio leaves.

To me keeping Fangio is the most important thing. Looking at Harbaughs offense even back to 2011 it has never been the reason that team was winning. Fangio kept that team alive while Harbaugh got all the credit.

If they let Fangio leave I predict a very long drought in Santa Clara and the 9ers may be looking up at the Raiders as the bay areas best team.

He's already said he wants to be H.C and that he doesn't want to go back down to the college level.

What's happening is they're going to promote Tomsula, which they know won't be popular, so they're interviewing everyone under the sun to give the impression of doing due diligence. I have to imagine the outside chance that Quinn or Bowles is dumb enough to give them insight into their division rivals has to factor in too.

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
I saw that he is interviewing with the Falcons saturday, I think that would be the best fit for Quinn, as the offense is in better shape there.

el capitan

Reaction score
I really hope Dan Quinn isn't the next 9ers HC, I'd hate to have to root for him to fail.

Jville

Reaction score
The 9er interview is strictly a mutual information mining interview. The power structure doesn't match up for an agreement.

Now the Jets are interesting. Woody and company seem to signal a new openness to looking at the Seahawk's structure as a possible adaptation for the Jets.

kearly

Reaction score
Quinn knows how tough it will be to overcome the Seahawks within the division, not something you want with a first HC gig. They also have an over-rated, domineering GM and an assclown Owner. If Quinn takes the job I will root for him to fail simply because I always root against stupid decisions. Seems pretty obvious to me that SF is in for a tumble and rebuild, with a good coach ousted because of internal differences (just like Mooch). The 49ers next hire is going to be Dennis Erickson all over again.

Rex Ryan to Atlanta seems like the most obvious hire that probably won't happen.

Rocket

Reaction score
Whomever... as long as it ain't Q.

And as long as said coach dumps Kaep. He's a pipe dream.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
homerun1970":3ch21bxd said:
I didn't think he was allowed to accept until after team is eliminated ?

There is a week or so window there since this is our bye week. After that, they have to wait until we win the Superbowl again. :mrgreen: