Wagner Vs Kuechly

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Very good article by *gasp* Pete Prisco comparing the 2 incredible LB'ers. I read the article before scrolling back up to see it was by Prisco... Anyways it's a good read and he breaks down the similarities and differences very well.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/write...ng-nfls-top-lbs-luke-kuechly-and-bobby-wagner

Since their teams face off this week, I wanted to do a thorough study on the two players to see if there is much difference between their style and talent.

What I found was it isn't that much, which might surprise some.

For starters, they are both young. Kuechly turns 24 in April, while Wagner turns 25 in June. Their youth shows up in the way they play, showing up on tape making a ton of tackles, sometimes as blurs with the way they run.

Kuechly is listed at 6-3, 238 pounds, while Wagner is listed at 6-foot, 241 pounds, thicker in the lower body. Neither would be considered a power player, but Wagner is probably the stronger of the two.

While watching tape, I noticed when offensive linemen get out on Kuechly he can have trouble shedding. There were times he was engulfed, which is why keeping him clean is so key for the Panthers' defensive linemen. There were plays where Kuechly tried to jump around a block and it left a cavernous hole for a runner.

Wagner does a better job taking on centers and guards. He uses his hands better than Kuechly does to shed the blockers, and he has a stronger lower base to get off blocks.

So who's better? The logical answer, and one that would come from most, is Kuechly. But I'm not so sure. Wagner is better in the run game, and he isn't that far behind in terms of pass coverage.

Can I call it a tie? Cop-out, you say? OK, if I had to take one, I would probably take Wagner -- by a smidge. Saturday could be his coming-out party, a chance to show he's the best middle linebacker on the field that night -- and in the league right now.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Won't click since it is Prisco. He isn't worth clicks, so glad you posted some.

Luke is great making tackles passed the line of scrimmage, Wagner is great at stuffing it at the line of scrimmage or behind.

Give me Wagner any day.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Prisco is a hard bird to figure out. On one hand, he's an obvious Seahawks Antagonist with a well publicized record of articles that seem to seethe with contempt for the team without any real genesis that we can put a finger on. On the other hand, he will write an article like this one which doesn't seem to show his usual M.O.

My money is on the fact that he knows the more controversial, the more obnoxious, the more clicks. Writers in the digital age crave clicks, and what better way to drum up activity than to create discord with an audience? Shtick is a tool that is used often in media, and I think part of his is to act like this Seahawk Hater when behind closed doors he probably could care less one way or the other.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Smellyman":1hurxj01 said:

Luke is great making tackles passed the line of scrimmage, Wagner is great at stuffing it at the line of scrimmage or behind.

Give me Wagner any day.

Yeah Wagz is definitely more stout and just as fast, if not a 'smidge' faster. I suppose Kuechly has the slightest of advantages in pass defense because of body length. For our system, I prefer Wagner. They are both awesome backers though.

Smellyman

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3v7eibbf said:
Smellyman":3v7eibbf said:

Give me Wagner any day.

Yeah Wagz is definitely more stout and just as fast, if not a 'smidge' faster. I suppose Kuechly has the slightest of advantages in pass defense because of body length. For our system, I prefer Wagner. They are both awesome backers though.

FWIW

LK 40 - 4.58
BW - 4.45

arm length

LK - 31"
BW - 33"

davidonmi

Reaction score
Wow, a whole prisco seahawks related article without a dig on Wilson, lynch, Carroll or Sherman (still think Patrick Peterson is better?)
Color me shocked

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I probably should have left the Prisco part out... Its worth a read though. Breaks down a couple plays for each LB'er

Laloosh

Reaction score
Smellyman":7w6ondjg said:
HawKnPeppa":7w6ondjg said:
Smellyman":7w6ondjg said:

Give me Wagner any day.

FWIW

LK 40 - 4.58
BW - 4.45

arm length

LK - 31"
BW - 33"
Kid's got long arms...

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Based on Prisco's assessment I hope Luke see's a lot of Sweezy today.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
-The Glove-":38ywtgqb said:
I probably should have left the Prisco part out... Its worth a read though. Breaks down a couple plays for each LB'er

Haha yea. I wonder if people would have noticed. It is a good read though

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Been saying this since I was scouting them for the draft. Keuchly's best position in our defense would be WLB. I literally wouldn't want him playing MLB in our 1 hap scheme where he would be responsible for an A or B gap. That's where Wagz is tops in the league.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Prisco is really knowledgeable when he decides to write an article like this. When he writes picks and power rankings, his Cardinals fandom and anti-Hawks bias are pretty obvious.