Letting Wagner go may be the dagger

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
I don't know if Barton has an injury or something but he's going to cost us some more games this season. It seems like he is uninterested. Not a good trait for a linebacker. Pete has brought in Irvin for leadership but I'm wondering why they just didn't hold on to Bobby. They had the cap space. Not trying to be negative but this team really needs better linebacker play. Not sure if Austin Ekeler is a superstar but he sure looked like one. If this season derailes it's going to be because of missed tackles that Bobby would have made.
I loved and still love Bobby, but the truth is in developing a new core having Bobby here would have very likely limited the team in growth. He knew too much and would be able to put people where they needed to be. At some point you need to let the kids scrape their knee or fail a test. Learning the hard way is often the best way and possibly the only way.

Letting Bobby go created a leadership void as well as a communication void that played out on the field. These voids are being filled and by the end of the season the team will likely be much better for it than if we had Bobby all year even with Barton on the field at times.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
With Bobby, we're probably 6-1 right now, but that's spilt milk at this point.

Our defense last two games is about on-par (maybe a little better?) with last year. If it stays at this level, we'll have gotten over that hump. It sounds like it took some time for the leadership on the defensive side of the ball to develop but now that it has (combined with some scheme adjustments) we could be fine.

Barton is still an issue but our issues before were bigger than one LB getting lost and we had dudes who got lost last year, too.
I could see us being better with Bobby right now but by the end of the season if Bobby were to get hurt no one and I mean no one would be able to fill his shoes. A team that learns how to play together and how to communicate from a similar base will be able to understand and adjust better than if a veteran is in running things.

If the defense continues growing and learning together even a weakness such as Barton won't necessarily cause too much pain. Every team makes plays on offense and the Seahawks have improved the last two weeks even with Barton on the field at times.

knownone

Reaction score
Barton has played pretty well over the last couple of games, and they can hide him by limiting his third-down snaps. Quandre, on the other hand, feels like the more significant concern. He's slow and seemingly forgot how to tackle.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The term washed up or washed gets overused on dot net and by fans in general. Wagner is currently starting for an NFL team with aspirations of competing, and leading that team in tackles. He is playing solid football this year and played solid last year. He is not washed up and it is disrespectful to say he is.

Multiple things can be true: Bobby is still a good football player; he is not as good as he was in his prime; he would be an upgrade for the Hawks this year; he was no longer contributing at a level to justify his contract $; his leadership would be valuable this year; eventually a team has to move on from vets to allow young players to develop; the Hawks' record and defense would likely be better if he were still here; moving on was likely necessary to make room for the youth movement and for cap savings.
I agree with all of this, but it's also worth reminding people that Bobby was acting as his own agent. It never works out to restructure players downwards unless there is an agent involved because feelings inevitably get hurt. He's playing for the Rams for just a 2.5m cap hit this season, and it's very likely that we could have come to some arrangement with an agent playing middle man. Bobby's five year deal looks good on paper but has nothing guaranteed after next season and it's very unlikely that he'll see the last three seasons of it.

Spohawks

Reaction score
This thread is EXACTLY why the Seahawks are drafting a LB in the first round next year.

Super cheap athletic freak at LB is what we need!

m0ng0

Reaction score
The defense has stepped up in a HUGE way and people want to talk about Wagner? Love him to death but he gone bro. Remember 3 weeks ago everybody wanted to cut EVERYBODY not named Woolen?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Seahawks have extra draft capital and a little cap room next year and this isn't the year for luxury pieces. Don't worry, the luxury pieces are coming (and Wagner is a luxury piece). Spend the Denver draft picks first and then give the staff a year to separate the wheat from the chaffe. Then....purchase the luxury pieces to put the team over the top because at that time, they will know precisely what holes are needed to be filled (and it still very well could be middle linebacker, but who knows what will fall into their lap on draft day).

There is enough instant gratification to serve us well this year. Let the process work. I personally believe the Retool is ahead of schedule. The window truly opens after the next draft.

I believe in Geno. I believe in paying Geno. But........if a unique 1st round QB talent falls into their lap on draft day, the Seahawks have to take him. Hell, if I had Mahomes or Allen at QB, I would feel the same way.
You do realize this isn't how Seattle operates ? I don't think Pete Carroll views a QB as a first round kinda thing.

Now , Wagner was the best MLB in the league for years I wouldn't necessarily call him a luxury. It's now a missing piece.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I could see us being better with Bobby right now but by the end of the season if Bobby were to get hurt no one and I mean no one would be able to fill his shoes. A team that learns how to play together and how to communicate from a similar base will be able to understand and adjust better than if a veteran is in running things.

If the defense continues growing and learning together even a weakness such as Barton won't necessarily cause too much pain. Every team makes plays on offense and the Seahawks have improved the last two weeks even with Barton on the field at times.
Yeah, I agree mostly which is kind of why I referred to it as spilt milk. Would having Bobby have possibly put us over the top vs. Atlanta and New Orleans? Sure, but our defense last two games has looked legitimate.

The leadership void that Wagner and Adams left seems to be getting filled and the adjustments the coaching staff has made seem to be paying off.

If we are over the hump, then I think we're well positioned for the future and we're still in frst place in the here and now.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Last I checked, Rams are chasing THE 1st place Seattle Seahawks. Let’s enjoy it and let these young bucks sharpen their collective teeth as the season progresses. It’s a long season and chit happens.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep. Dwelling on former players over and over again, not exactly productive. They're gone, can't do anything about it now.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I don't know if Barton has an injury or something but he's going to cost us some more games this season. It seems like he is uninterested. Not a good trait for a linebacker. Pete has brought in Irvin for leadership but I'm wondering why they just didn't hold on to Bobby. They had the cap space. Not trying to be negative but this team really needs better linebacker play. Not sure if Austin Ekeler is a superstar but he sure looked like one. If this season derailes it's going to be because of missed tackles that Bobby would have made.
Austin Ekeler is a really good running back.

OP
OP
acer1240

acer1240

Reaction score
Yep. Dwelling on former players over and over again, not exactly productive. They're gone, can't do anything about it now.
It's not dwelling, was just wondering if keeping him for 1 more year may have been the smart move. I didn't want to start another tired Russ thread. Just pointing out that linebacker play sucks is all.

BASF

Reaction score
It's not dwelling, was just wondering if keeping him for 1 more year may have been the smart move. I didn't want to start another tired Russ thread. Just pointing out that linebacker play sucks is all.
As I have stated before, if Bobby's pride had allowed him to take the phone call where they probably would have discussed a reduced salary, he may very well still be on the team.