SIAP: Hawks rushing yards this season

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
An amazing stat that I read today, which I didn't realize, is that the Hawks' 2700+ yards rushing this season was the 3rd highest single season total by any NFL team in the last 30 years. That is striking. Now granted, a healthy number of those yards were 'chunk yards' by Russell Wilson on scrambles off of broken down passing plays, but rushing yards are still rushing yards. If you're like me, you're a believer in the mantra that the better defensive team always has the advantage (the Hawks in this case), as does the better rushing team (also the Hawks). In fact, the better defensive team is 40-8 in the previous 48 Super Bowls. Tack on the fact that the Hawks are - statistically speaking - a historically great rushing offense team (and the Pats have a middling rush defense, particularly in short yardage/'power' runs - which the Hawks led the league in this year), it renders me completely dumbfounded as to how the Patriots are actually the favorite (!) in this game, per Vegas.

Go Hawks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am a firm believer that Russell's rushing first downs are far more devastating to a D than the actual yards gained will ever indicate. They can play perfect D and still be screwed, and it gets in their heads.

OP
OP
N

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ji2kqj4c said:
I am a firm believer that Russell's rushing first downs are far more devastating to a D than the actual yards gained will ever indicate. They can play perfect D and still be screwed, and it gets in their heads.
I completely agree. There is a tangible "demoralization" effect there, no doubt.

sutz

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3qgcgtqn said:
Scottemojo":3qgcgtqn said:
I completely agree. There is a tangible "demoralization" effect there, no doubt.
Plus, he's as good as any QB in the league at sliding and generally avoiding unnecessary hits. That's pretty frustrating, too, having to chase him down and not be able to close the deal with a good hit.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":11q0ha9i said:

Well, and I'll echo, Russell's crazy scrambles do the same thing... if it's 3rd and 18 or something like that, and he runs in weird circles, avoiding sacks, and tosses a ball down the field that goes for a 1st down, even if that only happens two or three times in a game, it has a HUGE effect on the defensive morale.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":unw73cj5 said:
An amazing stat that I read today, which I didn't realize, is that the Hawks' 2700+ yards rushing this season was the 3rd highest single season total by any NFL team in the last 30 years. That is striking. Now granted, a healthy number of those yards were 'chunk yards' by Russell Wilson on scrambles off of broken down passing plays, but rushing yards are still rushing yards. If you're like me, you're a believer in the mantra that the better defensive team always has the advantage (the Hawks in this case), as does the better rushing team (also the Hawks). In fact, the better defensive team is 40-8 in the previous 48 Super Bowls. Tack on the fact that the Hawks are - statistically speaking - a historically great rushing offense team (and the Pats have a middling rush defense, particularly in short yardage/'power' runs - which the Hawks led the league in this year), it renders me completely dumbfounded as to how the Patriots are actually the favorite (!) in this game, per Vegas.

Go Hawks.

They are only a Favorite because they can get the public to bet on the Pats giving points.

DickSherman25

Reaction score
You are all making a great argument for calling Carlton Banks just what he is, a very good RUNNING qb.

marko358

Reaction score
DickSherman25":3hwk08ho said:
You are all making a great argument for calling Carlton Banks just what he is, a very good RUNNING qb.

1310408441466.jpg

Exittium

Reaction score
marko358":1796o3lb said:
DickSherman25":1796o3lb said:

1310408441466.jpg

:th2thumbs: Pats fans are really bad trolls

OP
OP
N

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I find it patently absurd that it seems to be diminished that the Hawks had the 3rd most productive rushing offense of the past 30 years in the NFL. I mean, really, when you think about that, that is simply amazing!

dradee

Reaction score
DickSherman25":20ccncru said:

Yes he is and even better throwing deep on the run, unlike your unfresh prince of bean town.

HawkerD

Reaction score
The Pats are favorite because the majority of Americans are stupid and are betting with their heads up their hind quarter.