Barnwell (Grantland) onboard with BIG Lynch day.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Kudos for not leaning on legacy or reputation. He called it as he saw it in the matchups rather than reputation or popularity.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Barnwell is one of the best sports writers period, he always puts out good content.

pehawk

Reaction score
Want to know how "on it" Barnwell is? Yesterday he did an article breaking down each team's weaknesses, via their losses, and he noted the Dallas and SD games as being effected by Harvin. He picked up and reported the nuance of this offense struggling for identity when Harvin was on the field.

Sure, that's kind of a "duh" observation to us. But, not to a national writer/commentator? Dude does his homework.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RunTheBall":nuzzkd3b said:
Barnwell is one of the best sports writers period, he always puts out good content.

Absolutely agreed.

(Although TBF most people I've read are predicting the Hawks to win, and although the line is swinging around the Hawks are the favorites right now. It's not a good narrative for the victim complex -- much better to feel crucified by the outliers -- but it's the truth).

kearly

Reaction score
I have a hunch the Lynch will have just a so-so day, but that Seattle as a team will still get to 130+ rushing yards anyway. Gonna be one of those games I think where it feels like New England is stopping the run, but Seattle gets about 4-5 explosive plays on the ground and ends up with big numbers as a team.

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
Bill Barnwell wrote: I just think the Seahawks are going to be able to run the ball to their heart’s content, and that’s going to yield long drives and successful trips to the red zone. I’m also skeptical the Patriots will be able to get Gronk going the way they do when their offense is truly clicking, and without a 100-yard game from Gronkowski, this offense suddenly looks a lot more ordinary. The Seahawks will transition from champions to budding dynasty, and Pete Carroll will get a healthy dose of revenge on Robert Kraft. Seahawks 24, Patriots 20.

I agree with Barnwell, the Seahawks have a good chance of rushing the ball successfully.

New England, during the regular season was maybe the 12th to 14th ranked defense, about the same for rushing defense. Of course, for rushing, they did not face teams with anywhere near the running power of Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson.

Belichick is going to stack his defense and commit to stopping the run more than any other team we have seen, but if we get both Lynch and Wilson going, we should be successful.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, for the last part of the season and the playoffs, Marshawn Lynch is the best he has *ever* been. This is not the Marshawn Lynch of a year ago or even at the start of this season -- he is now much, much better. The impressive thing about him is not the physical -- although he has great power and cutting ability and balance that is almost unmatched. It is the unmatched mental side -- the vision and intelligence -- that have supercharged his game and are making him, over the last few games, one of the best running backs I have ever seen.

The only question is how conservative the coaches are going to be with Russell Wilson. They often start games very conservatively, taking very low risks with offensive turnovers, hoping for a low scoring defensive battle. They often shackle Russell Wilson at the beginning of the games, not letting him run or scramble much. This results in two things: 1) the defenses focus more on Lynch, limiting his effectiveness and 2) forcing Wilson to throw risky passes under pressure either from the pocket or when he is scrambling for his life after having waited too long. This has happened in every game where we have fallen behind, including Green Bay in the championship game.

Overall, If the coaches encourage Wilson to run (which contrary to their thinking, are about the lowest risk plays we have), the running game will open up and the Seahawks should win.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1n3pmdyh said:
For the record, Barnwell picked us to win by 12 over the Broncos last year.

Thank you. I couldn't remember what he picked last year.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
That part about them strugging against zone-blocking teams was intriguing. I really do think we're going to see how motivated the Pats DBs are going to be trying to bring down Marshawn with a full head of steam. We may see a lot of that jumbo look with Gilliam as the sixth OL and Tukuafu at FB.

Kind of makes sense, why go three wide and play into the Pats strength? Just beat up that front 7 until they cry uncle by the end of the third quarter, especially considering that they are really bad at short-yardage D.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Barnwell has been writing awesome article after awesome article after awesome article over the past week-and-a-half. I already liked him, but I'm quite impressed, now.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yep, usually not a fan of national writers, but this guy does his homework and usually makes a good case for his opinion whether you agree with it or not. A lot like our very own Kip does. :th2thumbs: