worst call in sb history

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm sorry.

Call me a crappy fan.

But that was the worst call/play in NFL history.

I'm embarrassed.

That was embarrassing.

Run the ball and we win.

Do anything but what we did and we win.

Embarrassing.

I'm sorry
I have been a die hard Fan. But that was a pathetic joke.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
30+ seconds to go. 1 timeout left. The ball is on the 1. The Hawks are faced with their heavy goal line D. The Hawks are the #1 running team in the NFL with the best short yardage RB in the NFL. Even if the play works they leave NE 30 seconds to tie the game. To me it was the all time dumbest call in the history of the SB and it cost the team a championship.

Why not run the ball with a big package, or read option when they commit to the inside? If the run play doesn't work then you call the the time out and then pass. What a galactically stupid call a pass to the interior into traffic, just stupid with that much time on the clock. With a pass why would you not throw it to Big WR on the outside shoulder so the DB has no chance. It was a totally stupid play call.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm considering cancelling my season tickets.

Call me a crappy fan

Most of the season I posted my blog about the hawks.

I loved this team.

But tonight. . . . Wow. We had the game wow . The superbowl

And gave it a way on the worst play call in NFL history.

The worst.

Hands down.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Hawknballs":oc3u8rbm said:

Call me a crappy fan

I loved this team.

The worst.

Hands down.

I will gladly take them off your hands....

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It was a horrible call. That one play cost the Seahawks their 2nd Championship. Just inexcusable and completely avoidable.

Even if Lynch is stuffed 3 times and we lose, I could live with that. BECAUSE IT'S THE RIGHT CALL.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
This franchise had a chance to erase 40 years of irrelevance and be the dynasty of the 2010s. Instead they gave it away. Pathetic.

Pak40.

Reaction score
I have to say I feel for you guys, it sucks losing the SB. But I have to take exception to the "Stupidest play call in history" thing. I am a 49er fan, and we had the ball first and 6 with time running out and threw it 3 TIMES! We had the best O line in the league and a great RB who can get yards from nothing and threw it 3 times! All we needed was 2 yards per run and we win. So while you are justifiably angry, it was one play, in which the DB made a great play, not 3 stupid plays in a row to lose the game.

PghPanther

Reaction score
Bad call for sure..................and a risky one but the coaching staff of this team has thrived through the playoffs with risky gutsy calls trying to outfox the opponent...........and it worked.

But high risk/high reward has a high liability..............

Speaking from the outside.......(I'm a Panthers fan)........Wilson has a wonderful arching touch to his long balls and he has gotten away with expecting his receivers to out position the corner or safety to make the play (Jake Delhomme of the Panthers would throw like that in many of his games during the our SB run).........and last night showed how crazy/risky that can get with that deep pass completed to set you up for the win..............but you can't thrive winning big games in comebacks like that all the time.

Look how Brady, Montana, Marino and the other greats do it........with mostly open route receivers in shorter passing plays not throwing up prayers of 40 yards or longer.......

Now this last call wasn't such a play but again it was a high risk call hoping to pull off another one.......................

And the odds caught up with your coaching staff.............(not to mention that the coaching staff you were up against is quite savvy too)........

You'd be SB champs again today if you would have run that ball first and call a time out to hold the clock to try again if it didn't work..................and if you want a high risk play there....why not a run play like a naked bootleg with Wilson taking it in the corner of the end zone?

I blame the loss on that play call.........and over in Panther land we've had a crap load of them from our offensive coordinator ............its a lousy way to lose a game because it doesn't allow the players to leave their best on the field.

Bux005

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1wv9crgt said:
It was a horrible call. That one play cost the Seahawks their 2nd Championship. Just inexcusable and completely avoidable.

Even if Lynch is stuffed 3 times and we lose, I could live with that. BECAUSE IT'S THE RIGHT CALL.

A GREAT post.

wizard1183

Reaction score
Seahawks should've won that. There's no question had they ran it they wouldntve. But sadly they chose to MAKE their QB the star instead of who RUNS that team. It's a team effort and you do what made you successful . The Seahawks would not be where they are without LYNCH. There's no question about that. You take him off the team, and put in a mediocre RB, the Seahwaks wouldn't even have 1 SB ring regardless of how well the defense has been. That's FACT. So why not make HIM the star? My thinking is they wanted Wilson to be the MVP since Lynch is no media darling. So they opted for Wilson to become the MVP star and it showed he's not the superstar everyone's made him out to be. He threw 4 INTs in the NFCCG and now 1 in the SB. Will he be the choke artist following Manning's footsteps in the post season? Who knows? But when it's a team effort, you do what you need to bring back a W and forget about making someone a star...

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
After analyzing the play it appeared a better decision than I thought. The pick play gives Lockette an advantage against the rookie Butler who has been burned on this play before. For some reason Lockette doesn't appear to run decisively to the throw.
This is a trigger play and Lockette knows he has to get to the spot and he has every advantage.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
After analyzing the play it appeared a better decision than I thought. The pick play gives Lockette an advantage against the rookie Butler who has been burned on this play before. For some reason Lockette doesn't appear to run decisively to the throw.
This is a trigger play and Lockette knows he has to get to the spot and he has every advantage.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Hawknballs":cab60gp1 said:
IBut that was the worst call/play in NFL history.

Worst play call in SB history, without a doubt. But NFL history throws a much wider blanket. I've seen worse.

In the mid 70's in a regular season game between the Giants and Eagles, the Giants had a lead with seconds to go and no timeouts for the Eagles. Instead of taking a knee and letting the clock run out, the Giants called for a handoff to Larry Czonka. The handoff between QB and RB was botched, the ball bounced on the hard Astro Turf surface and right into the hands of an Eagle defender, who ran it in for the game winning touchdown. If I am not mistaken, the Giants coach was fired the next day.

That play call represented the genesis of the victory formation, and since then, no NFL coach has ever attempted anything more than a kneel down if it was possible to simply run out the game clock.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Wilson had to throw it into that window BUT if his drop back was a half step shallower he would have hit Lockette earlier and shallower. A MUCH safer pass IMO.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1xrut3jb said:

Call me a crappy fan

I loved this team.

The worst.

Hands down.

C'mon man! The team is fine the OC sucks and is galactically stupid.

It is all fixed when the team decides to let Bevell move on, that needs to happen.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3nay9t57 said:
Wilson had to throw it into that window BUT if his drop back was a half step shallower he would have hit Lockette earlier and shallower. A MUCH safer pass IMO.

I'm not sure how much shallower that play could have gone. It was thrown immediately from the shotgun, the LOS was the 1, and the play occurred at the goal line.

Lockette did not beat the defender to the predetermined Point X, Russell did not recognize that the defender was close enough to the intended spot where he was to throw the ball to where he could have gotten to it, the DB read Russell's eyes and took a chance and made a break on the spot where he anticipated the pass going. It was a big gamble by the DB that paid off in spades.