Was Throwing On 2nd Down The Right Call?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The more I think about it, I think passing on second down was the right call:

There are two scenarios to it:

Scenario One:

- Pass on 2nd down, then if it's incomplete you stop the clock and can run the ball and use your timeout after 3rd down if you don't score. 4th down can be any play, it is the last play of the game.

Scenario Two:

-Run the ball on second down. If you don't score, then you're forced to take your timeout and you have to throw on third down. Once again, you can run or pass on 4th down, it's the last play of the game.

I think most football heads would probably go with the pass on 2nd down. I just think most O-Coordinator's would choose a different play call. I hated Russ throwing into traffic over the middle. As much as I hate the back-pylon fade, it's a very safe play that only the WR can catch (assuming it's a well thrown ball). Would not have minded a play action pass either.

I'm also not sure if the Hawks would have been ready to send their heavy package out on the field to run on second down anyways. The more that I have thought about this, I think passing was the right call.

Cad

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3bilkbhb said:
The more I think about it, I think passing on second down was the right call:

There are two scenarios to it:

Scenario One:

- Pass on 2nd down, then if it's incomplete you stop the clock and can run the ball and use your timeout after 3rd down if you don't score. 4th down can be any play, it is the last play of the game.

Scenario Two:

-Run the ball on second down. If you don't score, then you're forced to take your timeout and you have to throw on third down. Once again, you can run or pass on 4th down, it's the last play of the game.

I think most football heads would probably go with the pass on 2nd down. I just think most O-Coordinator's would choose a different play call. I hated Russ throwing into traffic over the middle. As much as I hate the back-pylon fade, it's a very safe play that only the WR can catch (assuming it's a well thrown ball). Would not have minded a play action pass either.

I'm also not sure if the Hawks would have been ready to send their heavy package out on the field to run on second down anyways. The more that I have thought about this, I think passing was the right call.

I can see why they called for a throw. They didn't have a good personnel group to run against what New England had on the field, and they couldn't sub out personnel without blowing our last time out.

But if your going to throw, you have to go with something that only the receiver can get. Don't call for a slant into the heart of the defense. Especially since Russel has had huge issues with slants (all his slants in the NFCCG were picked off). Oh, yeah, and don't call for pick plays against a defense that practices against pick plays all year.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If we threw on 2nd....we would have ran on 3rd.....

If we ran on 2nd....we would have thrown on 3rd....

I haven't paid much attention to it. But how have Hawks done on getting the heavy package in without burning a timeout this year? We already saw how much we struggled just to get down field and line up in time. We had to burn two timeouts on that final drive, and that was without massive substitutions.

Assuming we couldn't get our goalline offense onto the field, there is no doubt that throwing the ball on 2nd was the right call. But once again, the type of pass play was the wrong call imo.

chris98251

Reaction score
Said in another thread roll out drag route by TE, fake to Lynch and roll and have TE or Matthews trail and let him run to the ball versus throwing someone into the teeth of a defense, high and away it's a much safer pass, and they either choose to defend the receiver or have to challenge Wilson on the edge to go into the end zone, they also can throw it away easier.

camdawg

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1hfxy49z said:
If we threw on 2nd....we would have ran on 3rd.....

If we ran on 2nd....we would have thrown on 3rd....

I haven't paid much attention to it. But how have Hawks done on getting the heavy package in without burning a timeout this year? We already saw how much we struggled just to get down field and line up in time. We had to burn two timeouts on that final drive, and that was without massive substitutions.

Assuming we couldn't get our goalline offense onto the field, there is no doubt that throwing the ball on 2nd was the right call. But once again, the type of pass play was the wrong call imo.

Or if we're not so obsessed with bleeding clock, we actually can run it on second AND third down. And then call our timeout after third down to run it again on fourth down if need be.

Rocket

Reaction score
issues/factors

a) lynch
b) 1 yard line
c) lynch
d) running out the clock
e) lynch
f) Marshawn Freakin' LYNCH.

you run on 2nd down on the one with Marshawn.
period.
B E A S T !!!!
seismographs.

bandiger

Reaction score
Idiotic call, even my friends that are not fans of any team were angry at such a stupid call.

vance_jetzt

Reaction score
Where's the bubble screen when you need it? All jokes aside. Not the best call but if Wilson put that ball a foot the right we might have been in the endzone. Ricardo appeared to be open.

We made a huge mistake in the previous two drives by not picking up first downs and honestly that's what kept the door open for the pats.

nanomoz

Reaction score
This actually a question? Really?

cheese22

Reaction score
Absolutely the worst call in I have ever seen. With absolute bullshit excuses afterward. This is the first time I've ever thought SOMEBODY should get fired for one play call. And then to say afterward that you wanted to run more clock before you try to score on 3rd or 4th down? A slant is the last play you call in that situation. Only a couple different things can happen and a reception that doesn't result in a touchdown but keeps the clock running is not one of those results. A bullet pass from 5 yards out can get tipped at the line of scrimmage for an int, it can get knocked in the air (by the receiver or db) and picked off, it can go incomplete and stop the clock or it's a touchdown. The last play you would ever call in that situation is a slant. The coaches would have us believe that the play was called to get a reception without scoring so that the clock keeps ticking and we score on one of the next two plays so that Brady has less time to score. REALLY!! If we only need a fg then you can get cute with running the clock down and kicking with seconds left. When you need a td you score regardless of time left on the clock and trust this defense to stop NE. Don't feed us shit and try to call something else. The reactions and self-blaming is odd, to say the least. There is more to this play call and acceptance of responsibility than we are hearing about. This literally could be the beginning of the end for this group. Too bad, a superbowl win and it's a different story.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It's a totally legit quesiton. And I still think throwing on second down is the right call......assuming we dind't have time to get our heavy package in.

Like i mentioned in one of my replies. If we threw on second, we were going to run on 3rd, and vice-versa. Might as well pass against a goalline defense rather than running against a goalline defense without your heavy package.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
If we don't waste 20 seconds changing the personnel after Lynch runs it down to the 1 yard line on 1st down then we can run it again on 2nd and 3rd before using the timeout.

chris98251

Reaction score
You can throw but don't throw into heavy congestion, give yourself a option, roll out drag play, back of the endzone jump ball, there are a number of options, a slant into the middle in tight space with a lot of hands and bodies isn't a good call.

nanomoz

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1ya2tybo said:
If we don't waste 20 seconds changing the personnel after Lynch runs it down to the 1 yard line on 1st down then we can run it again on 2nd and 3rd before using the timeout.

Oh and theres that. More passed.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If that's really the excuse, that personnel group must not have run play.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
SeatownJay":yjewz6cv said:

Hmmm...that's a good point.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

You hand off to Money Lynch on 2nd and goal. If that somehow doesn't make it, you hand off to him again. IF IF IF somehow that doesn't make it you hand it off again on 4th down. IF we can't punch it in with Lynch after three tries at the goal line, then we don't deserve to win and we 12's can feel a hell of a lot better about the loss then we do now thanks to a TERRIBLE call, period and goodnight.

(drops mic)

Hawkfeathers

Reaction score
There is a mini-conspiracy theory that the Hawks preferred Wilson to win the MVP rather than Lynch, so they fed the ball to Wilson for a TD pass. The concern is Lynch might be too difficult to negotiate with if he won the MVP. They plan to pay Wilson big $$$ anyway, and the MVP would help justify that.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Aros":1kze129s said:
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

You hand off to Money Lynch on 2nd and goal. If that somehow doesn't make it, you hand off to him again. IF IF IF somehow that doesn't make it you hand it off again on 4th down. IF we can't punch it in with Lynch after three tries at the goal line, then we don't deserve to win and we 12's can feel a hell of a lot better about the loss then we do now thanks to a TERRIBLE call, period and goodnight.

(drops mic)

Thank you.

Latest posts