Seahawks View on Possible Extra Point Changes

kidhawk

Reaction score
There was a lot of debate about making changes to the extra point conversion. Pete said the Seahawks would like to see there be an automatic 7 points for a TD then the ball on the 2 for a chance at an extra point. The defense would be able to attempt to return a fumble or INT for their own point.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PeteCarroll/status/580782392689827840[/tweet]

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
I like this... the Hawks need all the practice they can get at scoring from the 2 yard line.

garrylt4

Reaction score
SHOCKER315":8nz3ah20 said:
I like this... the Hawks need all the practice they can get at scoring from the 2 yard line.
Definitely

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I don't like it. Leave it as is.

Though I would rather see them change this, than the sudden death OT rules. I hate the idea of both teams getting the ball. Seems like some kind of pop-werner rule so no one gets their feelings hurt. You want to win? Stop us and then score.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kidhawk":38gtucnl said:
There was a lot of debate about making changes to the extra point conversion. Pete said the Seahawks would like to see there be an automatic 7 points for a TD then the ball on the 2 for a chance at an extra point. The defense would be able to attempt to return a fumble or INT for their own point.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PeteCarroll/status/580782392689827840[/tweet]

I have a feeling even Pete himself would only like this until his team lost a game because they missed a two point try.

While this solves the problem of the boring and pointless extra point kicks, it needlessly goes beyond that. Why not just have a TD be worth six and you can try to score again from the 2 for two pts or opt out for one point. That does it. Finito. We're done. Problem solved.

I guess the one upside of this proposal is it would decrease the number of games that go into overtime.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
People want to change it because they say the extra point is the most boring play in sports.

But why does that matter? Just leave it alone. Not every play has to be exciting. We celebrate and exhale after a TD because we know the extra point is automatic. It is a part of the TD celebration.

I don't want to be stressed out with every extra point opportunity, I want to just enjoy the fact that my team scored a TD.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2vrefij1 said:
People want to change it because they say the extra point is the most boring play in sports.

But why does that matter? Just leave it alone. Not every play has to be exciting. We celebrate and exhale after a TD because we know the extra point is automatic. It is a part of the TD celebration.

I don't want to be stressed out with every extra point opportunity, I want to just enjoy the fact that my team scored a TD.

I agree, most of the time they use that time to setup the extra point to show a replay of the TD or to talk about the play. THe Extra point is just filler. I like it the way it is.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Leave it as it is. I need time to grab another beer and sometimes the commercial breaks aren't quite long enough.

- bsd

kearly

Reaction score
I'm just fine with the status quo, but the change Pete proposes makes the most sense by far (other than the 'mandatory' part). I also like that he included the college rule that defense can score on PATs.

kearly

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2z85kpbt said:

Amen.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
kearly":3kbluf7i said:
I'm just fine with the status quo, but the change Pete proposes makes the most sense by far (other than the 'mandatory' part). I also like that he included the college rule that defense can score on PATs.

K--I agree, I'm totally cool with blocking one and returning it for a point and the like.

McGruff

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2q8iyjeu said:
While this solves the problem of the boring and pointless extra point kicks, it needlessly goes beyond that. Why not just have a TD be worth six and you can try to score again from the 2 for two pts or opt out for one point. That does it. Finito. We're done. Problem solved.

That is essentially (exactly?) what Pete is proposing.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3c1tnej1 said:
Popeyejones":3c1tnej1 said:

That is essentially (exactly?) what Pete is proposing.

One minor difference is (at least the way the tweet reads) that in Pete's scenario, we get the 7 and only an extra point for the try from the 2, and the try from the 2 would happen every time no matter what.

Hawks46

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":35hwovrg said:
I don't like it. Leave it as is.

Though I would rather see them change this, than the sudden death OT rules. I hate the idea of both teams getting the ball. Seems like some kind of pop-werner rule so no one gets their feelings hurt. You want to win? Stop us and then score.

I actually like the new rules, and I understand why they changed them. You had something like a 84% chance to win the game if you won the coin toss. At the end of the game, defenses are tired and the likelihood of the offense scoring is very high. Plus, with kickers getting better and better, it's pretty easy late in a game to drive 40 yards and kick a 54 yard FG.

Also, teams played stupidly conservative once they got in FG range, which ended up being boring, and pissing you off if your team was on defense. Now you have to play differently, try to score a TD, and actually play to win.

I do understand your pop warner comment though. The NFL went and changed the rules, and the Seahawks go out in OT and play to win and score a TD, and Denver players start crying about how unfair it is that they lost without getting the ball. I remember other teams crying when they lost by TD as well.

mikeak

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2xszurkt said:

I can't recall right now but is there advertisment between the touchdown (since they are reviewed now) and the extra point?

If so that would be why you don't go with your proposed solution - you would lose advertisment time. I do agree with the proposal you have and wrote something similiar somewhere last week

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I remember discussing this a bit last year, and Pete's proposal is basically the only one that ever made sense (assuming the NFL is compelled to change the rule). However, I'm not sure if I'm following the "mandatory" try for 1 in his proposal. Like he said, I would make the 7-point TD automatic; plus an option to gamble one-point on a try from the two-yard line.

I'm fine with leaving it as is, too.

chris98251

Reaction score
What about giving the defense a chance to score 2 if they stop the offense, makes it a critical play. So if you kick it offense gets a point, if you go for two and succeed you get two points, you get a block or don't make the two point conversion defense gets 2 points.

jake206

Reaction score
Here's my new suggestion: Automatic touchdown at one yard line.