ESPN - Seattle #1 is draft success

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Makes sense.

I saw in report about the Patriots divisional dominance Seahawks have quietly been one of premier franchises since Re-Alignment.

Just behind:
Patriots
Colts
Packers
Eagles
Steelers

And on par with the Ravens and Giants.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000481490/gms-with-the-best-record-of-drafting-pro-bowlers?module=HP11_photo_gallery[/urltargetblank]

Along the same lines. This article ranks GMs on their success rate at getting Pro Bowl players through the draft. The top three are Cowboys (Jones), Saints (Loomis) & Seahawks (Schneider) with between 14.58 and 14.72 percent of draftees reaching pro bowl status.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Fan voting is part of pro bowls. I kind of think pro bowl status is a poor barometer of drafting success.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":dukcr2u7 said:
Fan voting is part of pro bowls. I kind of think pro bowl status is a poor barometer of drafting success.

Pro bowl players doesn't equate to successful teams, but I would challenge you to find a player who has been voted to a pro bowl who shouldn't have been drafted. You draft guys for their potential talent in the league. Pro bowl players, are players who either are, or have been at the top of the game. Yes, fans vote on players who are no longer as good as they once were, and better players may not make the cut, but I've never seen a player voted to a pro bowl who was a poor draft choice. Team success and draft success can go hand in hand but are not mutually exclusive. When judging GM's, winning has to be a part of the equation, but being able to pull out individual talent on a fairly regular basis is a pretty strong indicator. Couple it with winning consistently and you have a top flight GM IMO

mikeak

Reaction score
It is funny that cornerback Byron Maxwell (now with Philadelphia, sixth round 2011)

will most likely net us a 3rd compensation pick.......

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
mikeak":34nwk4ip said:
It is funny that cornerback Byron Maxwell (now with Philadelphia, sixth round 2011)

will most likely net us a 3rd compensation pick.......

See, this is good business by our front office! Turning 6th rounders into 3rd rounders a couple years later. Works for me!

If only we could do more with the 1s and 2s (historically, speaking...)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Northhawk":15213adq said:
I'm posting in the main forum as this isn't about the up coming draft but rather our management of drafts over time.

Feel free to move to the draft board if need be.

When it comes to making the most out of the NFL draft, the Seattle Seahawks rank at the top of the list.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/

I don't see any 2013 or 2014 draftees listed though. I get that it's hard to start for the team but we haven't exactly found any diamonds in those two drafts it would seem. Jordan Hill was the only guy (correct me if I'm wrong) who proved to be any kind of impact player from either of those drafts.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":q56hfm9m said:
Northhawk":q56hfm9m said:
I'm posting in the main forum as this isn't about the up coming draft but rather our management of drafts over time.

When it comes to making the most out of the NFL draft, the Seattle Seahawks rank at the top of the list.

I don't see any 2013 or 2014 draftees listed though. I get that it's hard to start for the team but we haven't exactly found any diamonds in those two drafts it would seem. Jordan Hill was the only guy (correct me if I'm wrong) who proved to be any kind of impact player from either of those drafts.

Our 2012 draft was the draft of dreams though and is probably the exception rather than the norm.

Hard to tell yet with last years given that Norwood barely played but Richardson looked like he was coming on before his injury. Britt done okay for a rookie and I think will only improve. Marsh and Pierre Louis looked promising before injury.

The injury bug definitely bit last year. Both those years we also picked relatively late in the draft.

Even when we aren't killing it in the draft like in 2013 which was essentially a depth draft, we are still picking up free agents who are contributing in varying fashions- Brock Coyle, Tukuafu, Matthews (in the Super Bowl), Moaeki, Lewis, JeanPierre, Dobbs, Williams

Laloosh

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2bu6jvfv said:
Laloosh":2bu6jvfv said:
Northhawk":2bu6jvfv said:

Our 2012 draft was the draft of dreams though and is probably the exception rather than the norm.

Hard to tell yet with last years given that Norwood barely played but Richardson looked like he was coming on before his injury. Britt done okay for a rookie and I think will only improve. Marsh and Pierre Louis looked promising before injury.

The injury bug definitely bit last year. Both those years we also picked relatively late in the draft.

Even when we aren't killing it in the draft like in 2013 which was essentially a depth draft, we are still picking up free agents who are contributing in varying fashions- Brock Coyle, Tukuafu, Matthews (in the Super Bowl), Moaeki, Lewis, JeanPierre, Dobbs, Williams

I agree that injuries stymied the efforts of a few guys like Marsh, KPL and Richardson. Just seemed like another patchwork article/blog from Terry Blount. If he's not the source and he's referencing an "all espn" poll, I missed it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":10aasbp6 said:
Zactly........ John Schneider drafting Russell Wilson in the third round, blows all the rest of them out of the water.. I mean, TWO visits to the Super Bowl/winning one, in his first three Seasons, for crying-out-loud, while Andrew Luck, 1st pick in that same Draft and Schneider isn't at the top of THIS list???? SMH.

original poster

Reaction score
scutterhawk":29so3yv4 said:
Scottemojo":29so3yv4 said:
Zactly........ John Schneider drafting Russell Wilson in the third round, blows all the rest of them out of the water.. I mean, TWO visits to the Super Bowl/winning one, in his first three Seasons, for crying-out-loud, while Andrew Luck, 1st pick in that same Draft and Schneider isn't at the top of THIS list???? SMH.

It's not as if Luck is exactly a bust is it?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Schneider has mined the mid rounds better than anyone since he got to Seattle. The fact that his players are coveted elsewhere is proof enough.

However, I have a very hard time giving all credit to John as a draft guru. How much of the credit should go to a coaching staff that might be the best at player development in a long, long time? Maxwell could barely touch his toes when they drafted him, he was transformed both as an athlete and player in Seattle. Sweezy transformed his body and his play style. Chancellor rode the pine for a year. Earl was wild as a march hare, Tate was even worse. So many of the players in Seattle were development projects. There are a couple of exceptions, Baldwin and Sherm were pretty good from day 1, as was Wagner, and what Wilson does isn't a teachable thing, but John gets a lot of credit for the teaching that Pete and Co. do.

What I do give JS credit for is always being willing to change the model. When not sparQy linemen like Carpenter and Moffitt kind of didn't fit, JS and Pete went a new direction, getting athletes for the line, a trend that should continue. The commitment to not just speed but range at LB is huge, and after 5 years it looks like Hill and Marsh might just show them being able to mine those middle rounds for defensive linemen, a position that has eluded them in the draft til now.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
original poster":2krei2nc said:
scutterhawk":2krei2nc said:
Scottemojo":2krei2nc said:

It's not as if Luck is exactly a bust is it?
Seems like most people get enamored with passing stats, but after all the fooferahh , it's all about production.
Luck isn't a bust, at all, not even close,,,, BUT, 31 other GM's looked right over the top of Russell Wilson, because they saw him as being "Too Short" to play Quarterback. (eh Mel Kiper?
John Schneider still hasn't gotten the recognition that he damned well deserves.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Scottemojo":18fqsfb7 said:
Schneider has mined the mid rounds better than anyone since he got to Seattle. The fact that his players are coveted elsewhere is proof enough.

However, I have a very hard time giving all credit to John as a draft guru. How much of the credit should go to a coaching staff that might be the best at player development in a long, long time? Maxwell could barely touch his toes when they drafted him, he was transformed both as an athlete and player in Seattle. Sweezy transformed his body and his play style. Chancellor rode the pine for a year. Earl was wild as a march hare, Tate was even worse. So many of the players in Seattle were development projects. There are a couple of exceptions, Baldwin and Sherm were pretty good from day 1, as was Wagner, and what Wilson does isn't a teachable thing, but John gets a lot of credit for the teaching that Pete and Co. do.

What I do give JS credit for is always being willing to change the model. When not sparQy linemen like Carpenter and Moffitt kind of didn't fit, JS and Pete went a new direction, getting athletes for the line, a trend that should continue. The commitment to not just speed but range at LB is huge, and after 5 years it looks like Hill and Marsh might just show them being able to mine those middle rounds for defensive linemen, a position that has eluded them in the draft til now.

Schneider gets credit because he's the GM.

But obviously it isn't just one person. Every scout and every coach has been valuable to the drafting/developmental process. If they weren't there wouldn't be a need for them.

So I don't think when people name drop Schneider or Carroll they aren't giving them sole credit. They are just at the top of the pyramid of a great organization.

So credit to them is credit to the system And culture they brought to the franchise.