Russell Wilson Development

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I was wondering to all you X & O guys and gals how RW will improve this season. He is still young and improving. I hope they let him make more on the line audibles and run more hurry up offense. We seem to do very well in hurry up offenses (although that may be against Petes philosophy). Where do you all hope he improves and where do you think he will improve?

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't really see him using more audibles at the line. The opposing defense is dictated by the success of our running game. We know what the other team is going to run. We do check out sometimes, but usually we kind of guess right.

The obvious answer is that Russell is going to improve in throwing seam and post routes that Graham excels in. You'll probably see us use even more misdirection in an attempt to get Graham into space on crossing routes against man coverage.

I would also expect to continue to see a rise in 3rd down efficiency. The biggest improvement hopefully will come in the red zone. Also, I think he's starting to see the blitz a little bit better. He's got to get the ball out of his hands when our line is outnumbered, which has been an area of opportunity for improvement that opposing teams are attacking more and more often. While many of these areas need bigger contributions from the coaching staff and receiving options, I put our ineffectiveness against the blitz much more on Russell. On many occasions we have guys winning routes, but Russell tries to beat the blitz with his feet anyways. Can't have that. Not often anyways. That's a losing proposition.

I'd personally like to see Russell make it a little easier on himself and take the shorter routes more often, rather than relying so much on the big play, but I'm guessing I'm alone in this wish.

Fade

Reaction score
Darrell Bevell I think is impeding Russell's development. DB will be exposed when he fails to implement Jimmy into the offense and Seattle is in the bottom 1/3 in RZ offense next year.

It will be really entertaining to see DB make excuses and throw people under the bus. While watching the media and apologists defend the guy that cost Seattle back to back championships.

I hope I'm wrong.

Sac

Reaction score
Fade":4arw1atn said:
Darrell Bevell I think is impeding Russell's development. DB will be exposed when he fails to implement Jimmy into the offense and Seattle is in the bottom 1/3 in RZ offense next year.

It will be really entertaining to see DB make excuses and throw people under the bus. While watching the media and apologists defend the guy that cost Seattle back to back championships.

I hope I'm wrong.

Angry Doug, is that you?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Tical21":39agdnex said:
I don't really see him using more audibles at the line. The opposing defense is dictated by the success of our running game. We know what the other team is going to run. We do check out sometimes, but usually we kind of guess right.

The obvious answer is that Russell is going to improve in throwing seam and post routes that Graham excels in. You'll probably see us use even more misdirection in an attempt to get Graham into space on crossing routes against man coverage.

I would also expect to continue to see a rise in 3rd down efficiency. The biggest improvement hopefully will come in the red zone. Also, I think he's starting to see the blitz a little bit better. He's got to get the ball out of his hands when our line is outnumbered, which has been an area of opportunity for improvement that opposing teams are attacking more and more often. While many of these areas need bigger contributions from the coaching staff and receiving options, I put our ineffectiveness against the blitz much more on Russell. On many occasions we have guys winning routes, but Russell tries to beat the blitz with his feet anyways. Can't have that. Not often anyways. That's a losing proposition.

I'd personally like to see Russell make it a little easier on himself and take the shorter routes more often, rather than relying so much on the big play, but I'm guessing I'm alone in this wish.

No I'm on with you on the short passing games. I think the problem we had last year was trying to force those to Percy and everyone knowing that Percy will get those short passes, screens, jet sweep and dump offs. There was no creativity in how we tried to hide it. The ones that usually work is the ones to Marshawn or to a TE for huge gains. Richardson was making huge strides for us in the short passing game, once he was injured we had no one else to rely on. I think we start utilizing it more this season and get the ball out quick as soon as the ball is in his hands.

As bad as you think Russell was against the blitz he's been one of the top 10 against the Blitz each year in accuracy. In 2013 he was the best at beating it, but then again he had Rice for a bit and Tate. This year he rarely had any helped to make some of those plays into TD like some of the Veterans. I would like for him to diagnose it quicker as well and a little bit more accuracy without overthrowing it or underthrowing it. I think having more timing with his playmakers will get those issues out.

Fade

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":etf15vlz said:
Fade":etf15vlz said:

I hope I'm wrong.

Angry Doug, is that you?

Yep lol :D

Fade

Reaction score
.[/quote]

There was no creativity in how we tried to hide it. [/quote]

That is a Darrell Bevell problem and it will persist until... you know.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
I forsee DB calling the game so that Jimmy G. goes from 100 rec a year down to about 35-40, and to top it off will blame others for HIS lack of proper play calling. Then maybe, just maybe the POS will be gone.

M.M.

Fade

Reaction score
Marlin Man":204vg9vt said:
I forsee DB calling the game so that Jimmy G. goes from 100 rec a year down to about 35-40, and to top it off will blame others for HIS lack of proper play calling. Then maybe, just maybe the POS will be gone.

M.M.

It won't be that bad, but it will be maddening watching the play calls in the redzone. They will have Jimmy block on a bubble screen, or run to the flat, instead of running down the seam, or on a corner route. The drive will bog down kick a field goal, repeat.

55 catches 7 TDs for Jimmy this year, which is a joke still. With a Competent OC 75 catches 16 TDs.

Even in a low volume passing O he should get 16 TDs every year like clock work.

Dallas only threw the ball something like 20 more times than the Seahawks last year and Dez had 16 TDs.

Fade

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2f2c0lng said:
Wilson doesn't tend to hyper focus on one guy like Romo does with Dez. We'll see though.

Tony Romo spread the ball around well I thought

WR 1 Dez Bryant 16 TDs
WR 2 Ter Williams 8 TDs
WR 3 Cole Beasley 4 TDs
TE 1 Jason Witten 5 TDs
TE 2 Gav Escobar 4 TDs

on 476 team pass attempts

Russell Wilson

WR 1 Doug Baldwin 4 TDs
WR 2 Jerm Kearse 1 TD
WR 3 P Rich 1 TD
TE 1 Luke Willson 3 TDs
TE 2 Cooper Helfet 2 TDS

on 454 team pass attempts

Darrell Bevell is the worst redzone play caller I have ever seen.

themunn

Reaction score
Fade":3ayuoayi said:
Marlin Man":3ayuoayi said:

M.M.

It won't be that bad, but it will be maddening watching the play calls in the redzone. They will have Jimmy block on a bubble screen, or run to the flat, instead of running down the seam, or on a corner route. The drive will bog down kick a field goal, repeat.

55 catches 7 TDs for Jimmy this year, which is a joke still. With a Competent OC 75 catches 16 TDs.

Dallas only threw the ball something like 20 more times than the Seahawks last year and Dez had 16 TDs.

So why hasn't he had 16 TDs every year like clockwork in the league's highest volume passing offense?

Fade

Reaction score
themunn":2n3pbbn8 said:
Fade":2n3pbbn8 said:
Marlin Man":2n3pbbn8 said:

M.M.

So why hasn't he had 16 TDs every year like clockwork in the league's highest volume passing offense?

Follow Me

2010: 5 GS 5 TDs
2011: 11 GS 11 TDs
2012: 9 GS 9 TDs
2013: 12 GS 16 TDs
2014: 13 GS 10 TDs
Total
50 Games Started 51 Touchdowns

2015: 16 GS __ TDs fill in the blank.

So yes I stand by my statement if JG is on your team and he starts 16 games he should have 16 TDs. especially when teams have to load up for Beast Mode and worry about RW keepers. :3:

Insert Darell Bevell as your OC and you get 7 TDs. lol

The high volume passing is irrelevant when it comes to accumulating TDs. see Tony Romo to Dez 2014.

It takes good Redzone play calling, and players executing. I see the players executing the plays for the most part, but the play calls are terrrible.

Drive stall. Field Goal.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Fade":2t38bbxn said:

I hope I'm wrong.
Wow you sound like a bitter fan who was personally wronged by DB, he doesn't throw people under the bus. Unless what your counting what he said about Lockette? He was telling the truth, it was hardly throwing him under the bus. Lockette didn't attack the ball, everyone could see that. Some fans can never be satisfied.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Marlin Man":2o84dqhm said:

M.M.
Yes because winning doesn't matter only Graham's amount of receptions :roll:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Fade":2wvr4e6v said:
MizzouHawkGal":2wvr4e6v said:
Wilson doesn't tend to hyper focus on one guy like Romo does with Dez. We'll see though.

Tony Romo spread the ball around well I thought

WR 1 Dez Bryant 16 TDs
WR 2 Ter Williams 8 TDs
WR 3 Cole Beasley 4 TDs
TE 1 Jason Witten 5 TDs
TE 2 Gav Escobar 4 TDs

on 476 team pass attempts

Russell Wilson

WR 1 Doug Baldwin 4 TDs
WR 2 Jerm Kearse 1 TD
WR 3 P Rich 1 TD
TE 1 Luke Willson 3 TDs
TE 2 Cooper Helfet 2 TDS

on 454 team pass attempts

Darrell Bevell is the worst redzone play caller I have ever seen.
Ya and that obviously has nothing to do with the talent difference between the two receiving groups... Wow the hate runs deep in this one

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Fade":3jvlm0ee said:
themunn":3jvlm0ee said:
Fade":3jvlm0ee said:
Marlin Man":3jvlm0ee said:

M.M.

Follow Me

2010: 5 GS 5 TDs
2011: 11 GS 11 TDs
2012: 9 GS 9 TDs
2013: 12 GS 16 TDs
2014: 13 GS 10 TDs
Total
50 Games Started 51 Touchdowns

2015: 16 GS __ TDs fill in the blank.

So yes I stand by my statement if JG is on your team and he starts 16 games he should have 16 TDs. especially when teams have to load up for Beast Mode and worry about RW keepers. :3:

Insert Darell Bevell as your OC and you get 7 TDs. lol

The high volume passing is irrelevant when it comes to accumulating TDs. see Tony Romo to Dez 2014.

It takes good Redzone play calling, and players executing. I see the players executing the plays for the most part, but the play calls are terrrible.

Drive stall. Field Goal.

Does it matter that if he starts in the game or not. He still played in all 16 games in 2014, and was shutout only twice in the season. The 14 other games he had at least a catch or so.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Fade":3svg04g8 said:

I hope I'm wrong.

I think Bevell will go the other way entirely. He tried to get Harvin the ball WAAAYYY too often and I think he'll do the same with Jimmy. I think Pete will chime in and allow for more decisions to be made by Russell and Russell will reward Pete's decision with a much better offensive output than we've seen in a long time.

In the last few games, Russell has been getting rid of the ball when he is supposed to. I think that part of his game will continue to improve this season. The addition of Matthews in the lineup will help Russell and will make the WR corp better. We saw what Russell would do if he trusted the WR to win matchups and Matthews will be able to win a lot of matchups against the DBs that the Seahawks will be going against this season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":1csingny said:

I hope I'm wrong.

If we all agree that Pete and John are two of the smartest NFL minds in the league............and agree that Pete is one of the greatest HC's in the league, if not of all time. Then why is Bevell still the OC?

If Bevell was as terrible as some of you make him out to be, costing us games and impeding player development, why is he still here?

IMO Bevell and Russell work great together, so much so that Russell is one of the fastest developing QB's of all time who is already in the top of the league in completion percentage, QBR, TD's to INT ratio, rush yards and two SB/Pro Bowls under his belt.